Tuesday 12 April 2011

RIP Hemingway


Hemingway goes in and out of the house as it suits her. Mostly she spends her nights outside, and even in winter, prefers to go outside to do her business and perimeter checks. She's an outdoor cat.

This morning Hemingway wasn't at the backdoor when we let Abby out at breakfast.  In fact I hadn't seen her all morning and was starting to get uneasy when I received THAT phone call around 11am:

Hi is this Melissa Hicks? We tracked you down via the microchip on a little black cat called Hemingway; she'd been hit by a car early this morning. We found her on the the road and took her to our vets. Mary managed to re-start her heart but the damage was too great and she died, I'm sorry.

Why?
Why didn't we see her?
Why did we let her out?
Why her? She's not the sick one! She's not the one we're mentally preparing to lose!
It's not right! It's not fair!

I want a do over button damn it - just to last night.  Just to make sure she would be locked in all night.

She's lived here and spent the nights outside for most of a decade. Why now? Why today? Why ever?

I didn't get a chance to take photos of Hemmy in her older years. Or photos of all three cats together. And now I never will.

Poor mum - just as me and my two invade, she loses her only remaining companion. First Josie (her chihuahua) a couple of years back and now Hemms.

16 comments:

Lisa B said...

Just {{{{hugs}}}}

Jodie Hill said...

I am so sorry for your loss. {{{{hugs}}}} to you and Denise.

Sunshine Stitches said...

Sending Big Cyber hugs!!!! So sorry for the loss of your furbaby.

Julie Dollery said...

So sorry to hear about the passing of your Mum's beloved Hemmingway. My heart aches for her (and sends hugs to you). Take comfort that she was doing what she loved (out wandering around). Sure, you can second guess that maybe she should have been in, but we help our pets live the fullest lives we can. {{{{{huggles}}}}}

Karen R said...

Oh, I am so sorry - big, big hugs to both you and Denise!!! Poor baby - I see it all the time around me, because we have WAYYYY too many cars and not enough room for prowling :(

Mariann Mäder said...

There's no real consolation...

We have lost about four cats in a row to such accidents in the 80s and it was tough every time. Here's a hug for your mum and healing thoughts to you both!

Paula Hubert said...

Hugs to you and Denise - that's so hard. And extra scritches to everyone else, too..

Hilary Syddall said...

Just hugs hun

Claire EJ said...

Again with the hugs...there are no words...just hugs.

kay jones said...

Cats are historically outside animals. Hemingway was doing what she knew and wanted to do. Unforetunately these things do happen. Dont blame yourselves. Rejoice in the fact that she enjoyed her life albeit shortened, with her family. You loved her and she loved you in her own fashion. Hugs to you both.

Michele Anderson said...

Hugs to you both!!!

Janine Smith said...

So sorry Mel. Hugs to you and your Mum

Tina Starke said...

So sorry to hear this Mel :(

Sisu Lull said...

So sorry you lost one of your fur-babies Mel. It sounds like the person(s) who found her were caring and compassionate enough to try to save her, and also to call and let you know for sure what had happened. Small consolation, but to me at least, it is better to know she is gone and not suffering, than to worry for days about where she might be. ((hugs))

Laura Landis said...

Oh, Mel! We lost a cat this way several years ago and then another just a few years back. Both were very dear to us and we still miss them! Thank goodness you know what happened so you don't have to wonder.

Nancy Jones said...

I'm so terribly sorry, Mel... I am crying as I type! What a terrible tragedy, and it's something that eases with time, but you never get over. I lost a beloved "inherited" little boy cat last March, and I still have my moments. I loved him SO MUCH!!!

Post a Comment