Saturday 4 July 2009

Work Situation

Morning all,

I'll try to keep this brief for a change :) I know most of my posts like this end up as a long whinging pity-party diatribe :)

I applied for lots of jobs over here before landing the one I currently have. Many of the universities and government departments over here have an additional rider on their rejection letters that I haven't seen before.  It says in effect "you were deemed worthy of being employed by our institution and we will keep you in mind when something new comes up".

A few weeks ago I landed a part time role in a public library as a skills librarian.  I love my job!  I love writing the Induction manual for new staff, questioning unwritten ground rules and practices that vary from branch to branch.  I've been at it three weeks and I'm having a ball.  I'm even coping with Teh Public most of the time :)

Working a part time job full time for the last few weeks has been very tiring and is affecting our home life. But we need the money.

Friday morning I received a phone call from the University of Western Australia. They have a Librarian 1 job available, and would like to offer it to me before advertising in the media.

I declined stating that I just started a part time position in another organisation and would feel it unethical to quit on them so soon after starting.  The UWA rep said she would speak to the area concerned and see if they would accept me as a part time in this role. She collected my current available hours and hung up.

I emailed my supervisor and the Library Manager of the current position and informed them that I had just been contacted by UWA with a full-time job offer.  I then asked them both how they felt I was working out, and was I heading the position in the way they wanted, or were they starting to think they should have gone with another candidate. Basically I was trying to give them a way out in case they were unhappy with me.

There were a few closed door meetings during the day and at the end of the day the Library Manager offered me a new fulltime position within the organisation.

So now my options are:

Stay where I am:
  • Pay: $26/hr for 19 hrs per week ( plus whatever else I can cadge)
  • Job: Skills librarian - love it!
  • Location: Altone Park - out of the way but great parking and great people.
  • Other considerations: need more money and a flexible working environment.

New e-librarian position:
  • Pay $26/hr for 38 hers per week (working a nine day fortnight)
  • Job: e-Librarian - new area I have never done before, great learning opportunity
  • Location: Midland - out of the way, crap parking, crap driving, not sure of the people.
  • Other consideration: may have to go through formal application and thus may not even get the job!

UWA position:
  • Pay $26/hr for 35 hrs per week (with flexibility - details unknown)
  • Job: liasing with lecturers, could be fun or not depending on subject area
  • Location: West Perth - great parking, close to Stephen's work and would reduce our communal commute by 1.5 hours each day.
  • Other considerations: would be seen as a step down from other areas I've worked in academic libraries and could affect further promotions in the academic sector

Currently waiting to hear from:

UWA - is part time acceptable and what are the actual details of the position.
Public Library - will I be moved straight into the e-librarian position or do I need to apply?

Then decision to be made ......

18 comments:

Claire EJ said...

Intriguing offers..super to be so in demand...e-librarian? are there bananas?
Too early in the morning for me to be compos mentis:)

I like the idea of reducing the daily commute for the both of you...

Mariann Mäder said...

There are perks and negatives in all of your options :-(

I would say if you were 45+ years of age you could afford the down-step with option UWA. At your age you can still go further and if it hinders your career I'd be very careful... on the other hand you'd be closer, closer to Stephen's work and it might take a lot of stress from you.

Your current position is fun for you and let me tell you, I've just learned that the most important thing for your wel-being inside and outside of work is if you're happy with what you're doing, even if the pay is not as good. As long as you enjoy yourself with your work you are going to be much more content over all. You like going to work and being at work. You feel accomplished and accepted. You have fun doing what you do. These are the most important parts of working life!

I think your best option would be to combine the two if you can get a part time position with the UWA. This may not be a career building experience, but it will make you happy. We've seen you going through so much emotional stress in the past years that I can tell you should look for something that makes you happy and content for a good long while!

Jim Westlake said...

I'm not qualified to comment on the technical side of things. But being happy is important I've found. Today I do much less, earn less but am very much happier than I was. That said, money (or rather the lack of sufficient) also has a great impact on stress levels as I'm sure you know.

Important thing is are you happy?

Sisu Lull said...

Go with your heart sweet. Step-up, step down, short hours, long hours, parking, driving, all those are secondary. If you have a job you love, will you dwell on the parking? If you have a job you love, will it lose it's appeal because of what is outside of the building?
Nah.
Go with what 'feels' best for you and the rest will fade into the background. Little things are little things, and being happy can overshadow them all.

Jodie Hill said...

I can't really add anything more to what's already been said. Trust your instincts and go with what feels the best.

Karen R said...

I don't really have any sage advice, either - too many options is not always a good thing. To repeat, I think you'll just have to go with your gut on this one. You've done the ridiculous commute thing already, and that would be a huge factor in my considerations, but with these kinds of choices between what you will actually be doing once you arrive - well, you gotta go with what feels best now... Good luck!!!

kay jones said...

I dont have any advice either but do whatever makes you happy dear. Money (although its important) isn't the be all and end all. At the end of the day you need to be happy and contented. Good luck with your decision.
By the way, did the package I sent ever arrive or is it still swimming?

Julie Dollery said...

I remember many years ago, when I worked 3 days a week SWEARING I'd never take another full-time role, but here I am in a 40 hour, high-stress job and you know what...I love it & wouldn't change it.
I will say that you've sounded tired in the past weeks, but that could just be the settling in period. Your basic choice seems to be swapping from a "I love it" part-time to one of two full times (one with learning opportunity, the other with a reduction in commute as well as a reduction in stature).
What would I do???? I'd do what my heart (and hubby's) tells me would make us both the happiest. Hubby says not to underestimate the fact that your current employer has come to the table with a FT offer, says a lot for them, and what they think of you....Sounds like they're a good group to work for.

Melissa Hicks said...

The package arrived Friday and I received it yesterday :) Thank you so much Kay! Package pics in my gifts album: http://gothtigger.multiply.com/photos/album/124/2009_Gifts#3

The sentiments in the bookmark are so appropriate right now.

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this one. I can see pros and cos on each option and really am not sure which way to jump .... I will go for full time work, whether it be part time at two different jobs or one fulltime job. The stress of needing the money is more than the stress of working every day at the moment.

Hugs and thanks all and I'll keep you updated ......

Paula Hubert said...

You got great advice here.. keep us updated. It's definitely a tough thing to have so many choices!

Melissa Hicks said...

Well in the end - the decision was not really mine to make. Lesson to be learned: Don't give them too much time to think or they might rescind the offer.

The e-librarian position has been removed as an option. The Library Manager and Technical Services librarian decided that I didn't have the necessary web-authoring skills.

UWA got back to me and informed me of one tiny little detail that had been overlooked - it is only a contract position until October.

So the upshot is I will continue in my current role at the Public Library for 19 hours a week and then the other 17.5 hours per week at UWA (an academic library).

Apart from the commuting, I think the variety and guaranteed income (low that it is) will keep me happy-ish until October.

Laura Landis said...

Sounds like you've had quite a roller coaster ride lately. I hope it all works out and makes you happy!!

Melissa Hicks said...

Well the latest on this saga is no it didn't make me happy.

Shortest contract ever - I lasted one morning. Three issues:
1. I would be in a direct reporting line under the nasty wanker who knew more about the RMIT situation than he should have for a previous interview. (Worst interview of my life).
2. The pay scale in the written contract (which turned up as I started the work) was far below what was verbally discussed and they then refused to negotiate upwards at all.
3. One of the people I met on my first day, rang my supervisor at the Public Library and gloated to her. I have informed him of the possible ramifications of his actions. (i.e. I am still under probation, I could be dismissed because of his comments. I can then sue UWA for his actions and he would then lose his job). He had no idea that he had acted improperly in any way.

Stephen and I discussed it and decided that the situation did not merit the pittance I was being paid. Our relationship was also suffering from a labour vs income discrepancy. So today I returned the contracts unsigned.

I have a job interview lined up for next Tuesday. Its a full time position at my old substantive level (and wage I am used to) and is right near where Stephen works. The fact that I was offered an interview before I had even submitted a formal application is a positive sign.

Stephen and I discussed and decided that there is no point me working full time for a pittance. If a substantive position is not available, I will simply work my part time job which covers my personal bills and I'll spend the rest of the week, supporting him with the domestic duties so he can pay all of his and our combined bills without stressing out over the weekend. It makes sense from a relationship perspective.

Karen R said...

Sending many positive thoughts for the Tuesday interview - sorry the other thing turned into a complete cluster. If the PT is doing more good than bad, then maybe that will just work the best for now; I agree, full time for nothing is basically wasted effort, IMO, though I understand what I think is your need to be working the hours - you're used to the hours, and to not have them seems wrong. It'll come, given time - things are weird all over right now, so lucking into the perfect thing just might not be possible, for anyone... Take what you can get that makes sense, and try to wait out the unsettledness :)

Jodie Hill said...

I have to agree with Karen. Working PT if it's working OK for you makes more sense than working FT for peanuts. And if you are comfortable and enjoy the PT work, it might be the best option. I understand completely where you are coming from having some of those same issues - I'm home a lot more since I'm extremely PT at work, and DH is supporting all of us - so I know what you're going through - my next couple paychecks won't even cover groceries...

Paula Hubert said...

Yep, what Karen and Jodie said... it's a tough balance between work and relationships..but the fact that you're discussing things is the key. :) I've been in the position of basically supporting the household, and if we'd have kept talking, things may have been different. {shrug} or not.. I believe I'm right where I'm supposed to be. But I do know that I'll think more about any income disparitis in any future relationships that turn into a domestic partnership or marriage.

Good luck with the interview!!

Laura Landis said...

Aw, Mel! Sorry to hear it turned out so badly. I'll keep fingers crossed for your interview.

Post a Comment