Friday 14 May 2010

Aventail by Inkcircles

While visiting Colours Down Under a couple of weeks ago, Janine asked me if I would be interested in stitching up a small model stitch for her.

She gave me a copy of the Aventail pattern, some 28ct Natural Lugana and a skein of Dinky Dyes floss Freo.

The original chart called for 40ct fabric which I wasn't up to stitching on :) but we did use Freo which was the recommended floss.

This chart is designed as a monochrome using a multicoloured floss.  This is exactly how I stitched it for the shop.  However, after finishing it, I discovered I had enough fabric and almost enough floss left over to stitch it again, using the same materials.  I thought I'd have a play.

My version is stitched using the exact same materials. However this time I deliberately started and stopped the stitches to concentrate colours in blocks to alter the look of the design.

What do you think?

12 comments:

Melissa Hicks said...

When stitching the design as a monochome piece, as intended, I used a little over half a skein of Dinky Dyes silks.

When cutting the floss to deliberately place the colours, I used a skein and a half, because my second skein had very very little yellow in it (it was mainly purples and greens) so I cut it in pieces looking for the tiny yellow sections :)

Jodie Hill said...

I think it is really cool how the design has two very different looks to it based on where the color ended up. Don't get me wrong, I love it just letting the color fall where it will in the original piece, but I absolutely adore the way you did it in the second one! Great job!!!

Melissa Hicks said...

Jodie, Exactly my thoughts - thank you! I adore letting the colours fall where they may, but with this one, I wanted to see what it would be like if I highlighted some of the elements. Thankfully its such a small fun stitch that I could stitch it twice quite happily :)

Paula Hubert said...

It always amazes me how just a little bit of playing alters something so drastically. I've followed the instructions for the Dinky Dyes seasonal biscornu and loved the results when I actually thought about my color placement and such.. but it's much more relaxing stitching and letting the colors fall where they may!

Great job on both!

Claire EJ said...

Interesting how that worked out. I love the placement of the yellow in the second one.
In the first, after looking at the second, it just looks a mess now.
Super!!

Tracy H said...

What a neat way to place the color! I'm going to link this over to Jo at Dinky-Dyes so she can see too.

Julie Dollery said...

Agree, the yellow in the 2nd is a brilliant effect.

Karen R said...

I like both of them equally well - I've looked at this a few times now, trying to decide, and can't. Well done on both!!

Karen R said...

I like both of them equally well - I've looked at this a few times now, trying to decide, and can't. Well done on both!!

Melissa Hicks said...

I have the same problem. I keep looking at them both and I can't decide on which version I prefer :) The first version is definitely more subtle ....

Melissa Hicks said...

Feel free to take the pics for your gallery if you are interested too ....

Janine Smith said...

Gorgeous. I am so in love with them both Mel. The second one is spectacular.

Post a Comment