Sunday 2 May 2010

The Things we do ....

For brunch this morning I am having sardines on toast and a raspberry and lime tisane.

Why sardines? In an effort to get Trubs to eat more. She's fine, her eyes are bright, her coat is healthy, the vets can find nothing wrong with her. She's just very very skinny and doesn't eat much.  I worry about her skinniness. One thing that never fails is to give her some of what I'm eating.  So four slices of sardines on toast.  Two bits of toast* sacrificed in an effort to get Trubs to eat the sardines mashed on top of them.  She ate one topping of sardines, so that's progress.

I am also out of my favourite flavoured black teas. So its onto my stock of herbal tisanes.  Anyone know a good place in Perth to get good flavoured teas?  I need a Rose Grey and a Raspberry Black...

Now to shower, housework and then possibly even a stitching blog - because I have been stitching!  Yes for more than one day too!


* Gluten-free toast - aka slightly oversized crouton.

10 comments:

Julie Dollery said...

How old is Trubs now?

Melissa Hicks said...

Just under 15 years old

Mariann Mäder said...

That's a touchy age, Mel. They often develop weaknesses in their kidneys when they get older - leads to no eating, no drinking :-(

I hope she gets over it very, very soon!

Julie Dollery said...

I assume when you say the Vet has given the all clear that this includes Trubs' bloods. Lots can start going wrong at that age. Pi's levels have spiked again. Lots of hugs for you both

Kimberly Fawn said...

This happened to a friend's cat, everything was apparently fine, she just wasn't eating. It turned out to be the kitty's teeth. She was an older cat and lost or was in the process of losing her teeth. Eating hurt.

kay jones said...

She's just old and the older you get the less inclined you are to eating (and dont I know it). You seem to be doing the right thing, plus lots of love and attention. After all, thats all we olduns need:))

Rosanne Derrett said...

A couple of oldies tips - their sense of smell is not too hot as they get older. Warming their food helps as it perks up the smell. The teeth thing is very true so softer foods will help. Harry was 13 when he went through kidney failure so I'm willing Trubs on from afar. This aging process is not funny for them or us. Have you tried fish in tomato sauce? They normally lick the sauce off before hoovering the fish up - works well on elderly cats and dogs!

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

I'll gladly share some of my weight with Trubs :-)

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Rosanne - no I hadn't thought of using tomato sauce at all. Might try that one!

Everyone else, yes we are testing Trubs kidneys every six months via blood tests. The Metacam we use to control her arthritis can contribute to kidney issues so it is checked regularly.

Her teeth are also checked every three months and so far she has a great set of choppers for her age.

kay jones said...

I feed Boris chicken once a day. Its cooked in the oven in a bowl of water so that when its finished the juice is very "chickeny". I find he laps up the juice before tackling the chicken. You could try this.

Post a Comment