Friday 10 September 2010

Julie's Round Robin



Julie's Round Robin is Alchemical Romance by Inkcircles.

As you can see she has changed the background quite considerably.  She has also asked us to use whatever floss we feel best fits each alchemical symbol. Julie asked me to work the middle to allow everyone that comes after me the widest possible choice :)

This was so much fun to work on!

The middle nine symbols are all varying symbols for gold. So I took the project to Colours Down Under where Janine, Kathy and I played floss toss with just about every gold shade of floss in the shop :)

I wanted a variety of shades of gold: yellow gold, white gold rose gold etc.  I wanted a variety of matt vs shiny threads and I wanted a variety of textures - metallics, silks, cotton and wool.

Janine and Kathy put their considerable colour-matching skills to work and selected the shades that work best together.

So the threads used (left to right, top to bottom) are:

Top Row:
Rainbow Galley Petite Braid 01 Bright Gold
Gentle Art Simply Wool 0420-W Gold Leaf
Rainbow Galley Petite Braid 37 Dark Antique Gold

Middle Row:
Madeira Silk 2208
Kreinik Cord 102C Vatican Gold
Thread Gatherer Silk 'n Colours SNC 175 Straw into Gold

Bottom Row:
Rainbow Gallery Tiara T119 Peach
Gentle Art Sampler Threads 0420 Gold Leaf
Rainbow Gallery Tiara T118 Gold

The Tiara thread was quite thick, as its used in needlepoint, not counted cross stitch. The Kreinik Cord, although I used two strands, was quite thin and may need to be re-done with three or four threads or perhaps back-stitched.

Either way, I feel I've achieved my range of colours, faceting and textures that I was aiming for.

This project is now winging its way to Sisu.

14 comments:

Claire EJ said...

Looking good. Interesting piece.

Melissa Hicks said...

Wow! Fast response - thanks!

Karen R said...

That's really cool!!! I've always liked this design :)

Claire EJ said...

Just happened to be online and it popped up in my Twitter feed.

Paula Hubert said...

Great choices.. the work well together and on the background. Well done!

kay jones said...

Looks great. There will be a lot done by the time it reaches me so I'm looking forward to seeing it

Rosanne Derrett said...

It will be my third time around for AR! There is so much scope for individual interpretion and I'm looking forward to it arriving with me and I'm ready to raid my speciality thread boxes!

Melissa Hicks said...

That is soooo much fun!!! I swear I spent more time choosing the floss colours than I did in actual stitching! Brilliant design by Tracy and a brilliant concept by Julie! I can't wait to see what everyone else does with this!

Julie Dollery said...

OMG this is fantastic. And the story behind your choices is just brilliant. I'm planning on printing & sticking these sorts of comments on the back of the frame when that day comes. That way, those that see it far in the future will glimpse the personalities behind the group effort. Thanks love

Jim Westlake said...

ooops!

Strayed into the room by mistake.......

Melissa Hicks said...

{Giggle} Love you Jim!

Melissa Hicks said...

Oh phew! Glad you like them! I love your idea of sticking the notes on the back of the frame too! Excellent!

Mariann Mäder said...

It looks very special, Mel, and well thought through! I'm looking forward to this one, too!

Nancy Murdock said...

Looks good so far.... I sorta get lost if I have to choose all my thread colors.

Post a Comment