Sunday 19 August 2012

Part 3 – Getting your data in order

Multiply Part 3 – Getting your data in order

Whether you are still using your Multiply account weekly or whether it has been garnering dust for a few years, chances are, there is stuff on there that you don’t want to lose.

Here is where we start to get to get technical, as here is where Multiply has NOT provided tools for us. Over the next few articles I’ll list out some of the processes that are being discussed in the various forums that I have tried and found to work.

If you know of others and have found them to work – please let me know or write an article about it yourself and I will link to it!

Private vs Public

First off, everything I have been playing with, will ONLY copy data from public blog posts and photo folders.  So if you are like me and have been writing blog posts for Contacts or Friends of Friends for years, then we have a small problem.

There is a work around. You can change your records from private to public, make your backup or copy your files, and then set them to private again. If you have a stalker or are currently involved in a project that you don’t want made public (secretly stitching a present for a friend for example) then I’m afraid I can’t help you.  I don not know of anything that copies private files.  All I can suggest is make public as much as you are willing to for a brief time or “pick your moment”. If someone else has a better idea, please let me know.

To change records in bulk from private to private, go to your media locker,

 

Select “All Posts” on the left hand side,

This should bring up a list of all of the blog posts you ever wrote in Multiply.  I wrote a few over the years it seems.

As can be seen there are a variety of different levels of private access in Multiply.  Some of the other blogging platforms don’t have that many levels of sharing.

If you want to revert your posts to private settings when you have finished backing up or moving your blog, and you have a variety of settings like I do here, you will want to copy or print out this page.  If you have a snipping tool or simply “Print Screen” on your machine, that will work.

To make all of your posts public, place a tick in every box that does not say everyone, and then click the Access Lock button at the top of the screen.

I’ve made this picture a bit longer so you can see WIP – Draco the Protector near the bottom of the list, that is a photo album.  So this process covers Blog posts and Photo Albums.  Also you can see that I didn’t bother with a post called New Blog that I made available for me only.  That was a practice post I was playing with a while ago so it is just gibberish.  I deliberately don’t want to carry that one over to the new blog.  so we do that all down the page, then click the Access button (top left of the picture).

 This pop-up box is given the name of the first blog post or photo album in the list that we ticked. in my case it was a blog post called Medical Update.

Now click the down arrow next to the Access title and change it to Everyone and put a tick in the box that says Apply to ALL items:

When you Save and Continue it should bring you back to your main page and all of your items are now open to Everyone.

If you are like me and have a lot of blog posts and photo albums, then you will have more than page of these to do.

So just keep going until all of your posts are public.

If, when you are finished the backup and blog move you decide you want to make these posts private again, it is the same process to reverse the situation.  Highlight all of the posts that you want to set to the same level of sharing.  Where above we change the Access level to EVERYONE, you change it to contacts or friends of friends.  Then select the next group of posts and click on that level of access.

The other alternative, is to make these public, back them up or move them and then delete these as they are disappearing shortly anyway.

Next, Part 4 – OK my stuff is public, now what do I do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment