Sunday 18 July 2010

On the nature of love and friendship

At work this afternoon I was chatting to a customer who told me a story about how her hubby (then boyfriend) had surprised her as few years ago. She had had a bad week at work and he working at one of the mine sites and wouldn't be back for a another few weeks.  Just before 5pm on Friday, one of the other women she worked with let him into the work area, and came up behind her, picked her up, twirled her around and then kissed her senseless.  She said it was like something out of a movie and every time she remembers it she automatically adds in "that hollywood swell of music".  She and her hubby still look very much in love and I suspect this incident was from more than a couple of years ago.

Thinking on this afterwards, I became a little depressed as I realised there was no-one in my life I could even fantasise about putting in that role.  None of my friends, no hotties from work... no-one.  I think this is the first time in my life I'm not even having a fantasy love life!

Then when I got home this evening I caught up on one of my favourite blogs and read the following in the comments section to a post:

See, the wonderful thing about being grown-up is that other people have finally lost the right to tell you exactly what that means, and you're free to choose. Except of course for very close friends, but really, you have to excuse them because they are, after all, close friends, and there is a certain level of irreverence that's to be expected when they tell you you're being an idiot. Although often they are being idiots with you, so the whole thing's a rather moot point in the end.*

... and quite a number of names came to mind!  In fact I feel a few of you will be reading this and going "YES! YES!" in a non-Meg Ryan-ish manner.

So while I may not have any person to cuddle or even many to brunch with right now, I do have a heck of a set of friends!  Far more than I deserve, and I thank each and every one of you for being there! For being my friend, and for being exactly who you are!


* If you want some context, read the blog post and all the other comments here

9 comments:

Jim Westlake said...

Good morning Mel, it's been far too long since I last caught up with you and your Antipodean life. And yours is the top of the page this rather wet and grey morning in South Wales.

As always, if you need a virtual kick up the arse, I'm your man! ;-))

Melissa Hicks said...

Why thank you good sir! Next time I have an anal foot fetish I know who to call upon :)

The only proverbial motivation I need at the moment is to actually get out of my little hermit life and converse with people again :)

How is life with you and Jen? Did I see that you had hurt yourself again?

Jim Westlake said...

No injuries to this body, Jen is 95% recovered from her broken leg.

Life is hectic, lots of commuting (around 460 miles per week) and weekends spent doing stuff round the house. All pretty normal in fact. We have the house habitable but with a long list of things to tackle when time and money permits, ain't that always the case? We have a guest bedroom commissioned, all that remains is for you to buy a ticket and come visit.

Debbie Lord said...

Mel, you have been around when all of us needed a friend at one time or another, so we will always be around for you :) Thanks for being a great friend!!

Cathy Kelso said...

Hello Mel, good to see you posting again - I was wondering how you were going. Don't want to go all Oprah on you but it sounds like you had an "aha" moment!! Would like to catch up sometime...

Glenys Kendrick said...

sounds like you are having a moment well life brings on those especially as time passes by but you have lots of firends even if the hugs can't be physical
have a great day Cheers Glenys

Laura Landis said...

Mel, you should feel like you're valued because you are! I've missed our posts over the last few months and promise to become more active again. I know you've had loads of good advice for me and I appreciate it all, whether I use it or not! LOL Hang in there -- it only takes the right one at the right time to make the connection.

Melissa Hicks said...

Hi Cathy, yep I did have an "aha" moment. Would love to catch up with you - its been too long. Do you ever manage to make it to any of Janine's Friday night stitch-ins? Just heard there's a Thai Restaurant opening up next door in a couple of weeks - making the Friday nights much more enticing :)

Otherwise I'll have to find an excuse to visit your work and just happen to be free at lunch time :)

Melissa Hicks said...

That's what friends are for - I could say the same words to so many people on this list and they've all had my best interests at heart, even when I didn't want to hear what they were saying :) :)

We all get through life the best we know how :)

Post a Comment