Friday 26 May 2006

STASHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!



Well I finally did it today - I drove the two hours each way to Katoomba to visit an actual bricks and mortar LNS. I visited Karen @ dragonflydreams.

Paul was supposed to come with me, but changed his mind at the last minute. Oh well I went by myself anyway. Karen's changed premises in the last couple of weeks and her new shop is really really well laid out! And lots of Chatelaine's on the walls. Karen is her Australian distributor - oh did I drool!

I picked up (had already ordered and paid for):
St. Sylvestre - Long Dog
Pirate Treasure - Lynne Nicoletti
Skeleton Crew - Cross-Eyed Cricket
Coffee, Chocolate & Men - Waxing Moon designs
All the Gentle Art threads for Coffee Chocolate men.

I bought today:
Why is it - Cross eyed cricket
Here be dragons - dragon dreams
Size 26 Gold plated John James petites
Size 28 Piecemaker needles

I figured it was about time I invested in some good needles and will try both brands to see which I prefer.

I also bought 4 more threads as possible matches for Paul's monogrammed birthday present. I've included a scan of the floss toss here. Any comments gratefully received !!!!!!!!!

As Paul was not with me, I only bought one skein of each and will wait until Paul decides what he wants before buying more.

The four colours in the scan are:
Distant Hills - Caron Waterlillies
Seaweed - Gloriana
Jewel of the Nile - Needle Necessities
Bejeweled - Crescent Colours

any comments?

Also seeing as I was going so far in one day, I stopped by a nearby chocolate shop and had the most heavenly hot mocha coffee that has ever passed my lips! Also I consumed a piece of heavenly flour-less chocolate and raspberry cake. I was feeling most mellow while consuming these!

Then I went further down the same road and stopped at Echo Point - a rather famous Australian tourist spot where you can clearly see the wide expanse of the Blue Mountains and the famous Three Sisters rock formation. I was planning on bringing my camera so I could practice using it, but I completely forgot it! I am so kicking myself for forgetting it!!!!

I actually walked for an hour around most of the lookouts in that area. I even walked down about a third of the very very steep stairs to the base of the three sisters, but then I chickened out and came back up! A very strenuous walk, and then just the drive home.

All in all an indulgent day out - which I really needed without spending too much money!




16 comments:

XXXX YYYY said...

I'm drawn to the Needle Necessities one. Not a fave thread to use for me though. Also like the Gloriana, but not sure, sorry to be so very unhelpful.
I love hot mochaccino, it's my favourite apart from a Starbucks ice cold Frappuccino.
Sounds like a great day out. Wish you had the camera, would love to have seen the view from Echo Point.

Melissa Hicks said...

Here's a link to some photos on a commercial site: http://www.bluemountainsphotos.com/bmp/areas/echopoint.htm

I walked from the "wide angle" vantage point to almost the base of the leftmost sister.

XXXX YYYY said...

Thanks Mel, was thinking I should really Google it :)

Gina Martin said...

What an excellent stash run! You picked some great stuff!

XXXX YYYY said...

Ok, been thinking this over while I napped/read this arvo.....I took another look at the Crescent Colours one and I love it. The name draws me in because of the game ...but the colour range in it is lovely and will go well with the fabric.
I so want a Mochaccino now!
Oh and Echo Point....wow!!!!!!!!!! Stunning vistas.

Julie Balla said...

What a fantastic day. Just what I need!!!

Mariann Mäder said...

Loved "Coffee, chocolate & men", Mel!

Now I'm only wondering, does the rich thing mean that Paul IS rich? Or is it meant to be a reminder to him that he should be, bwa ha ha?

Anyway, really funny project!

Mariann

Laura Landis said...

Melissa, I think my favorite is the Gloriana thread. I like the NN but think the colors may be a little too overwhelming with the fabric. I think the Gloriana is a little more subtle and would have a richer look against the fabric. Just my .02!

Melissa Hicks said...

Mariann, As far as Paul is concerned, he thinks it means he is going to be! He will be too, once he gets some of his writing published. he's rather good - but has self-discipline problems

Melissa Hicks said...

And thanks all for the feedback. Personally I love the Gloriana and I will be using it on another piece of the same fabric for St Sylvestre. I've bought 4 skeins from the same dye lot - I just hope its enough. I'm using 32 ct fabric, so can I get away with only one thread?

Paul finally visited last night and he's decided on the Crescent Colours Bejeweled! So I'd better buy some more of that one too.

XXXX YYYY said...

Yay! Good on Paul, that was my favourite in the end :)

Melissa Hicks said...

Actually that was my favourite thread too - so I'm glad he chose it. I just figured it was tooo monotone for a larger project like St Sylvestre. That's why I went for the Glorianas for that project.

I do have a problem with the Crescent Colours not being colourfast though

XXXX YYYY said...

Wouldn't be a problem for me as I never EVER wash a finished project.

Melissa Hicks said...

I usually wet and iron my finished pieces to remove the hoop marks or scrunching from in-hand work.

XXXX YYYY said...

I wonder if you should/could try a set of q-snaps for this one. I use them all the time and I think this is a big part of what keeps the work clean. I handle it so much less this way...
Just a thought...

Melissa Hicks said...

Hmm - I haven't seen Q-snaps in actual use yet - I'll keep my eye out at the next fair I go to and see if I spot any set up where I can handle them and see how they are.

Thanks for the suggestion
Mel.

Post a Comment