Tuesday 13 June 2006

House hunting


Well I've just been reminded that I've been a bit quiet - so here's the latest update on my saga of house hunting.

As you know, 6 weeks ago I found the *perfect* house in the *perfect* location for the right money etc etc and they turned me down because of Trubby - apparently the owners had hassle's with a tenant who had a dog - and now wont even allow goldfish - stupid people Grrrr!

Finally, this last Friday, I think I've found something as good - but in a different way. Its a similar-sized house, its further away from work but the rent is cheaper so the money still works out. But mainly the new place has the same sort of really good vibe. You know like when you walk into a house for the first time and it feels like you are coming home ....

The views out the front are jaw-droppingly good for this part of the world! Its on a quiet street - no through traffic, no yobbos - ah bliss!

The downside is that it is a pole house in the side of a hill - so you have to walk up what seems hundreds of stairs to go into the back door - the views out the front are utterly magnificent - though - once I figure out how to move everything in.

Its only two bedrooms but that's enough space for me. Paul and I don;t want to co-habit which is good! Sharing bills and having someone else comment on where yo spend your money is not good for a relationship .... in my opinion :):)

I put an application in on Saturday morning before being called into work to relieve someone who was heading home sick. On Saturday afternoon Paul and I headed out to the place again to get a better feel for the actually practicalities of moving large pieces of furniture and my never-ending boxes of books up those stairs. That's when we noticed it ....

The house is built in two sections one have over the other - like two stories but the top layer pushed back into the hill. Well I'm renting out the top layer. We were assured by the real estate agent that the lower level was used by the owners for storage purposes only. You can see where this is going ....

Yes we noticed the lower floor has someone actually living in it! There was a bed, with rumpled bed clothes, dishes in the sink, a fry pan toaster etc in clear view ..... and worst of all there was a full ashtray of cigarette butts on a chair on the open porch.

Some of my best friends are smokers. I know what to expect when I visit their homes and that's cool. But I'm not a smoker, and I really can;t stand second-hand cigarette smoke wafting in my front doors from next door. Its one of the most annoying parts of my current neighbours! I cannot open any of my front or side windows, because they smoke outside their front porch constantly day and night - chain smoking whenever they are home - and it sickens me to have my furniture and my stuff inside my house stinking of their cigarette smoke !!!!

Anyway, I was rung by the Real Estate this morning at 9:45am (we had a public holiday yesterday so I reckoned they probably spend a whole hour checking my application before ringing me) and advised me my application was successful. The house was mine when do I want to come and pay the bond?

I stated that I would like some answers first before I accepted the place. I explained what I saw and asked what the deal was. The RE agent was completely flustered. They knew nothing about this! The owners have not sublet it via *their* RE agency - it must be the owners themselves!

Well, I asked, am I renting the whole property or just the top floor - will I get the courtesy of written notification by the owners before they enter the property - or are they free to come and go or even live in the lower story if they so choose? Oh no, says the RE agent, they wouldn't do something like that! Can you get that in writing me, I ask. Certainly says the agent, I will call the owners get right back to you.

That was at 9:45am this morning. Its now close to 9:45pm .... I still haven't received that call ....




10 comments:

Natalie Mikesell said...

Argh! Sorry to hear that you have hit another snaggle! House hunting is so frustrating! Maybe if the owners see that it will be hard to rent they (or whoever is living in the bottom) will move out! So glad you saw that before you signed any agreements though! In the 9 years DH and I have been married, we have looked at many houses- to rent and later to buy. It is terrible what people think you should put up with just for the "privilege" of renting a home. And I feel the same way about smoke! Good luck !! Keep us all posted :)

XXXX YYYY said...

Gack...they have a lot of questions to answer....sigh.
If you can get the whole property, then great, but sharing it with a stinky smoker...sigh....
My downstairs neighbour smokes out in the street. Their flat and ours are smoke free zones. But, his smoke rises into our front room windows. When it does, I yell out to him to stop smoking where he is and move away from the windows.....hehehe, he does, good man.
Sigh, house hunting is such a PITA. Good luck honey.

Melissa Hicks said...

Oh Claire you are soooo lucky - mone just yell obscenities and threaten to do biologically impossible acts on Trubby! As well as the usual chant of "you can't tell me what to do - nobody can fucking tell me what to fucking do"!

Umm well yes actually we can - its called standard societal norms and rules! Sheesh grow some manners!!!

XXXX YYYY said...

I am lucky, I love my neighbours. Great family but they are planning on moving so we'll be on our 12th set of neighbours since we bought this flat, sigh. Bet the next ones aren't anywhere near as nice as this lot. It's the first time we've been able to share the garden with the neighbours and enjoy each other's company. It never lasts.

Melissa Hicks said...

Nate, Thanks for the support! I've been renting now for over fifteen years and I've never had this much hassle before. Maybe karma is trying to tell me something!

Paula Hubert said...

Mel, it's so good that you went back and saw the signs of someone living there! (Although I find it a bit disconcerting that you haven't gotten a call back yet.) I'm sure you're going to find the right place, but I know whenever we've looked, we've always gotten to the point of accepting that we're never going to find the right place... and then it somehow is tossed in our path Anyway, this will also give you a better idea of what the owners are really like, I think! I'm still sending "find a good house" vibes in your direction!

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Paula, I suspect the owners may have been pulling a swifty on the RE agents - or maybe the RE agents were just having a hard time contacting the owners - who knows. Thanks for the good vibes!

Melissa Hicks said...

Claire, good luck with your next set of neighbours! Sending *you* good neighbour vibes too!

XXXX YYYY said...

Thanks love...I have no idea when they're going to move but it's just too expensive for them, sigh. They've been a dream apart from the boy kid....AKA brat. He's such a brat. His Mother despairs. She trains him well and then Daddy steps in and undoes all her hard work....sigh.

Melissa Hicks said...

Like son like father - its sounds like ......

Post a Comment