Thursday 12 October 2006

Mel's Health - latest update



Well according to circumstantial evidence - I have bronchitis.


An
elderly male customer was walking around the library yesterday and said
"that's a nasty bout of bronchitis you have there - what are you taking
for it?" Turns out said elderly gentleman is the local GP. He naturally
wouldn't prescribe me anything as he was in the library, I wasn't in
his surgery - but he did advise me to take to a chemist and get a
strong bronchial medicine made up.


Then
on the way home from work last night I stopped in at the garage near
work for the first time and fueled up Salem. Had to wait in a queue
before being able to pay for my fuel. When I got the front of the queue
they guy behind the counter said "Nasty bout of bronchitis you have
there!" I must have looked startled because he went on to say "You had
a flu or virus type thing about two weeks back? Same here. First bout
of bronchitis I've had in 22 years. Seeing about one in 10 customers
sounding like you right now - all had this flu thing a couple of weeks
back".


So
having been told twice in one day, I toddled off down to my local
chemist and chatted to him - and had a few coughing bouts etc etc. And
he ended up making up a specific cough medicine for me. apparently its
the strongest he can legally give me (it contains no codeine).
Apparently he added something into it to open up my air passages, I
hadn't even known how laboured my breathing had gotten. He advised me
to always drink it after eating a meal and never exceed the recommended
dosage.


Well
I got home last night, I cheated and chucked a frozen dinner in the
microwave, wolfed it down then drank my cough medicine and immediately
had a coughing fit. As time went on last night I was still having
coughing fits but they were lessened. It was only a little progress but
it was progress.


At
midnight I took a second dose and went to bed .... and coughed until
1am .. and I was feeling very very miserable. Then I slept.


And
awoke this morning breathing normally. And I laid there, listening to
the radio and not moving and marvelling that I was breathing normally!


And
then I got out of bed and starting coughing and haven;t stopped. And
for the first time since last Friday I'm finally starting to bring
phlegm up again. I waited until it had turned to dry coughing again,
had my bowl of cereal and have just taken another dose of cough
medicine.


I'm
about to head for a shower and see if I feel up to driving to work. I
think I could do work, but I'm not too sure about driving myself there.
I'll see.


Anyway in summary, I think I've finally found a medication that will slowly work and get rid of this cough.

I also have an appointment scheduled with my own doctor for next Tuesday afternoon.


9 comments:

Melissa Hicks said...

Well I actually thought I had posted that about three hours ago. I was still tossing up whether to go to work when Mum rang. she politely called me an idiot and sent me back to bed. So I rang work and went back to bed.

Didn't get much sleep - 10 mins after I crawled back into bed I was deafened by Eminem, Tracy Chapman and squealing children all vying for loudest decibel level. So I have a bad headache and the temperatures are rising, but I'm not coughing as much as I have been :)

Do you know how annoying it is trying to look through an online needlework show on a dial-up connection?

Donna Williams said...

Yes, darling, I know exactly how frustrating it is! I may be using a cell phone card to access the internet but it's still basically dial up. It's why I don't often look at all the links everyone posts on BAPS...takes too friggin' long for the things to post and I lose patience long before I'm halfway there...

I hope you feel better soon, luv! It's absolutely no fun to feel like you do. I hope when you visit your own Doctor, he can give you something to help you get over it soon.

Natalie Mikesell said...

Oh Mel! I hope that you feel better soon! It is so yucky to be sick, get better, then get sick again! Sending you healing thoughts and make sure you take care of yourself.

XXXX YYYY said...

Can you not get into your own Doc before Tuesday?? If it is Bronchitis then antibiotics are a must ASAP!!

Tracy H said...

Take care of yourself, Mel. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mariann Mäder said...

Just keep taking care of yourself, Mel! I will get better, but it does go away. As Claire said, if it is bronchitis, then you're a candidate for antibiotics...

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks to all for your good wishes!

To be honest, I had to overstate my case to get the Tuesday appointment - she's booked out for the whole of next week. The good news is that although the new cough medicine is turning me into a zombie, it *is* actually working - slowly but surely. I think today will be another day spent dozing (when the neighbours shut up) and doing not much else (when they are active like now).

They shut up at 12:30 last night and were back in full swing by 5:30am - I hate them I hate them sooo much.

And its already hot here - over 30 degrees already and its only 7:06 am

Paula Hubert said...

Sorry to hear about your neighbors, but I'm glad that the new cough stuff is working (even if it is a bit slow!). It's too bad you couldn't get to your own doctor sooner, but it's sounding like she might be busy with folks who have the same thing you do!

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks guys - well its Saturday and I have an overtime shift from 9:00 until 2:00pm. I'm foregoing the cough syrup so that I am actually awake and alert (the cough mixture really does send me to zombie-ville) So lets see how bad the coughing is without it and if I'm really getting better or if the cough syrup is just masking the symptoms :)

Post a Comment