Tuesday 28 April 2009

Life update (feel free to ignore)

In a nutshell:

Job: Still unemployed.

  • Any jobs I apply for outside a library seems to be totally ignored.  Often not even sending me a "thanks for the application."
  • Any job I apply for that I am overqualified for, I get a "thanks for the application" and then it falls into a black hole.
  • The only good response I've been receiving is from jobs at the same level I was on.  This is good, but there are fewer jobs in this smaller area.  Also I have found out that my reputations from both UNSW (good) and RMIT (bad) have preceded me.  I am slowly learning which organisations will treat an application from me fairly, and which ones have already made up their minds :(
  • I'm waiting back on a really good interview I attended last week from a really good University and I'm on tenterhooks.  I emailed them an hour ago and am watching the inbox desperately to find out one way or another.

Home: Tomorrow!
We sign the forms and take possession of a new rental house tomorrow.  Will take piccies and post soon.  We will be spending some time over there tomorrow working out where to put the varying pieces of furniture when they arrive .....

Moving IN
  • Requires furniture.  Clothes.  Kitchen ware - you know - stuff.  The stuff that is in storage in Melbourne and we can't seem to get it from there to here.
  • Originally Mr NTB planned to do a lot of te move on trade/barter but time after time, that fell through or the invoiced cost ended up being TEN TIMES the original quoted price.
  • The last one had a cash component of $5000 which a very good friend so very kindly insisted on lending me at very short notice.  Which was fine until the final invoice came in at $20,000.
  • This was yesterday!  They were supposed to collect our goods today!  We gave up on the barter/trade thing and  finally hired a Removals Broker yesterday.  He got cash only quotes for us averaging between $13K and $15K. We don't have that kind of cash .....
  • We saw the bank this morning for a joint personal loan.  They appear unwillingly to lend us the money because of existing debts and I'm unemployed.  We'll find out tomorrow.

Other Things:
  • I can't stitch well at the moment and I'm stressing because I can't get my two "obligation" pieces done.
  • I have nothing to read because I don't know how to load new ebooks onto my reader using Mr NTB's equipment.
  • I'm living on soup, bananas and chocolate because the kitchen in this apartment is useless and I can't afford to go out to a proper restaurant and I get sick eating junk food.  There are no GF convenience foods over here.  I have to eat suspect food whenever we eat out.  I'm so tired of mini gluten attacks that leave me feeling tired and washed out.
  • My period is due and I'm feeling very hormonal.
  • I miss Trubs sooooo much but I can't visit her.  When I visit it upsets her so much when I leave without her.  It takes her the better part of a day to calm down and it takes me nearly as long.
  • The smallest two fingers on my right hand have been numb for a fortnight.  I have no feeling in them whatsoever and it extends part way into my forearm.  Sleeping badly on a bad bed.  I often wake up with my hands clenched and my whole body rigid with tension.  I'm not sleeping well because of the stress.

So no job.  We have a house but we can't afford to move into it. And Trubs is still in the cattery and I can't visit her and I feel so very miserable and I'm hinging all of my hopes on one phone call from Curtin University telling me I got the job and we can then get the loan and then get our stuff moved, and then Trubs out of the cattery and and and ......

So in the meantime its back to snacking on some chocolate, putting the washing in the dryer and seeing what other jobs I can put applications in for, while keeping an eye on the clock for my doctor's appointment at 3:30pm for my hand.

PS Mr NTB knows all of the above and he's stressing out over:
  • Not being able to fix it all
  • His work
  • Money
  • Seeing me like this
  • Coping with someone else in his life/space

He's trying his best.  And none of this is his fault.

18 comments:

Kerry Dustin said...

Aw, hugs!

Wish I could do something to help. It's so important that you're both on the same page though and that Stephen is unhappy seeing you unhappy, yet you know (and I hope he knows too) that it isn't his fault.

Dave often ends up feeling the same way about me. He wishes he could fix things and finds it hard that he can't. I appreciate him feeling that way but understand that he can't fix it.

I don't think I'm expressing this very well, so it may not come across right and if that's the case I apologise for any misapprehensions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, despite the sucky stuff and you've got more than a fair share of that right now, it sounds like you're both in a very healthy place, relationship wise, and that is a good thing.

Anyway, sending some more hugs to all of you, especially poor Trubs.

Rosanne Derrett said...

First off huge hug ((((((HUG)))))) from me and Miss P to you both.

I can tell you now what the problem with the fingers is. The ulnar nerve is squished by sleeping in a tense position. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve I had this and mine was bad enough to need surgery. You can ease it by sleeping with a towel wrapped anound your arm to stop you from bending it in your sleep.

It really is so stressful ti have every hope pinned on one call/letter/email. It will get better. Just have faith and try not to stress out even more. Trubs will be back with you soon, in a space that is more than big enough to swing a kitty. The emotions you are putting out through this email are so tangible, please be patient. It will be OK.

Julie Dollery said...

Oh sweetie, I wish I could just fly over there & hug you both. I'm sure you'll look back in 12 months time & just write this entire period as a shocker. We really do feel for you both.
I think I mentioned to you the "boys fix things..that's what they do" concept & I'm sure Stephen's miserable seeing you miserable. Sometimes "doing something" for the boys can be as simple as letting you cry on them (tell him it took Ian years to learn that). All I can suggest is that the two of you take this opportunity to make this a "we faced it together & beat it" time of your lives.

Sisu Lull said...

Do either of you have a vehicle you could attach a trailer too? I have no clue why moving 'stuff' should cost so much. Even $5,000 sounds like robbery to me, but I have never used a moving company, I have always hauled my stuff myself.
Good luck on the job front. We had a PR person at a place I worked before that would give people bad references based on what they did in high school. She was such a vindictive b***h. I am guessing your bad reviews are being shared by one such person. I don't really know a way around it either
I hope you can find some way to get moved in and get Trubs home soon too. Your distress makes it apparent that you need your furbaby.
Big hugs Sis.

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks everyone - I just had a "I need to get this off my chest" day yesterday. I certainly didn't expect any answers :) Thanks for listening :)

We are exploring options but its still mostly hinging on me getting that job with Curtin. They emailed and said there were delays in getting the Selection Report signed off so they cannot notify the candidates of the results yet.

We'll take it day-by-day and something will come up. Maybe I'll buy a Lottery Ticket today :)

Julie Dollery said...

The email is a good sign. At least you know what the delay is.

Mariann Mäder said...

Mel, I think you'll get it all on the same day - job, loan, stuff...

It's very hard when someone sends out warnings about your reputation based on what little they could have gained from your time there. It's so subjective and will deter many from even looking at you. Best of luck with that promising place, I do hope you get it!

Feels like a vicious cycle here - no job, no furniture and stuff, no furniture and stuff no moving in, no moving in no furbaby, no furbaby no settling down, no settling down not much good for the job search, arrgh!

Just a short while longer, dear, I'm sure you'll break out of that!

Jim Westlake said...

I know the feeling of being a big fish in a small pond. There's almost no cahnce anyone would give me a job now, not that I want one at present, after ten years of paddling my own canoe etc.

Like everyone else here I have no specifics for you but I do know that simply holding on and plugging away will get you where you need to be. That place may not be where you thought it would be but I'll guarantee it'll be right for you and yours.

Chin up, I'm thinking of you.

Stephen Silk said...

Minor problem with the trailer idea - it's 1800 miles and two 18 wheeler's worth.

Jim Westlake said...

Where's your spirit of adventure, can't you hire a road train? lol

Sisu Lull said...

The 1800 miles isn't so huge an issue, but 2 18 wheelers worth? Everything I own would fit on a single car trailer. Everything that didn't would be left behind. But I have moved 13 times in my life, so I got used to not keeping much extra. I forget that isn't always the case with someone else. I hope you two can find something that works.

Melissa Hicks said...

Update:

We've managed to scrape enough money together to get half of our stuff moved. It is being collected on Monday and we should have it unloaded into the house next Friday or the following Monday.

Trubs will be collected from the cattery as soon as the removalists leave (or next working day if they leave too late in the evening).

In other news: Curtin rang me late yesterday and asked for a referee from RMIT (my last work place). I replied that would prefer not to, but I can make some calls if it would mean the difference between being the successful applicant or not. They said not to worry about it.

This evening at 4:30pm I got the proforma email of "thanks but no thanks".

Jim Westlake said...

I'm so sorry that this one did not work out Mel. Nothing else for it but to give yourself a thorough talking to, dust yourself down and try again I'm afraid.

Mariann Mäder said...

At least the negative reply came promptly. It's tough, but I think the worst was always the waiting and keeping the hopes up.

What Jim said. Or try for a complete career change?

(((((((((Mel)))))))))))))

Sisu Lull said...

So sorry Mel. I know it gets frustrating, but it will allwork out. Big hugs to you and your honey.

Julie Dollery said...

What a damn shame. I'd say it probably came down to between you & one other, and they were looking for something to break the deadlock. Only a shining extra reference would have swung it I think.

Laura Landis said...

Aw, Mel. Hang in there. I know it's hard to be in such a frustrating position right now. Just getting Trubs back should help heaps. Make sure to take at least an afternoon or evening and just cuddle the fur off the poor baby. You'll both feel better. The numbness thing must be catching! I think mine is probably carpal tunnel syndrome. You'll have to let us know what the doctor says about yours.

So, again, don't worry about the RR project. I'll have plenty of time to devote to stitching whenever it arrives here. I only have 3 weeks of school left and then I'm back to one job at a time with just the summer job. I'll be able to completely devote my stitching time to it and you know how Sisu's needles smoke so, even if it runs really late, we'll both be able to work and catch it up. Worry about YOU!!!

{{{{{{{{{{Mel, Mr. NTB, Trubs}}}}}}}}}}}} ~ You're all still on my list!

Claire EJ said...

Sending you one of those lovely random hug attacks that keep popping up on my mobile phone...

HugsHugsHugs...lots of 'em.

Post a Comment