Monday 7 June 2010

Book Meme

I read this on LiberryDwarf's blog and couldn't resist doing it myself :)

Do you snack while reading?
I do most of my reading at mealtimes. Yes I'm the kind of person who would read the back of the Cornflakes packet if there was nothing else around,

What is your favourite drink while reading? Whatever I'm drinking with the meal? Usually water.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I've only ever marked a book once.  My Year 12 copy of Pride and Prejudice and I believe we were forced to - to mark where Elizabeth's feelings changed etc etc.  Also I work in a public library; I am disgusted by people who deface books that other people are waiting to read.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat? I am ashamed to say that I have occasionally dog-eared a library book.  For my own books I usually memorise the page number I'm on. A trait born of too many years of running out of bookmarks and refusing to dog-ear or destroy the spine of my own books.

Fiction, non-fiction or both? Mostly fiction but definitely both.  As long as the subject matter keeps me interested I'll read almost anything.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere? I stop only when an alarm goes off or the phone rings or the train reaches my station or any other form of interruption. Yes I set alarms when I start to read.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? I have done so but very rarely. The most recent was with Twilight. Couldn't get past the second chapter, the actual writing was awful!

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? I rarely find words that I don't know or cannot judge from context. When I truly am stumped I tend to be lazy and ask on Twitter :)

What are you currently reading? Pinocchio - Vampire Slayer. I kid you not, its a graphic novel I grabbed from the library - the writing is awful and the illustrations are mediocre, but hey with a title like that you have to at least give it a look!

What is the last book you bought? A Heston Blumenthal book for my Dad for his birthday.  Already planned the Kitchen Chemistry book and DVD set for father's day :)

Do you have a favourite time/place to read? Well I've just moved house so I'm still finding/creating favourite nooks.  Favourite time to read is over brunch on a day off work, because I don't have to stop reading.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?  As long as the subject matter keeps me interested I'll read almost anything. I do have issues with series books that really should have been condensed into one novel, or in the case of Stephen King, 1000+ page tomes that really should have been novellas.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? I work in a public library, its my job to recommend books.  I find it a much more successful match to find out what the borrower wants and recommend books that match their desires, rather than to foist my own favourites onto them.

How do you organize your books (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)? I spent many years as a cataloguer.  So just like mechanics have faulty car and plumbers have dripping taps, I have my books organised into "does it fit on that shelf?"


So .... who's next?

6 comments:

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

The only question it didn't ask was...do you read the end of the book first? I do!

Karen R said...

Here's mine: http://rifestitch.multiply.com/journal/item/336/Book_Meme

Melissa Hicks said...

Gack! Where's the holy water and a cross? Back foul beast! :)

I read far too many mysteries! There's no way I could EVER read the ending first - that would spoil the whole point of reading the book and following the clues!

Paula Hubert said...

To quote Harry Burns "Oh, really? When I buy a new book, I read the last page first. That way, in case I die before I finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side." LOL

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

A lot of the time I have the book figured out the first 50 pages in - at that point I read the end and if I'm right...what's the point of spending the time reading the rest?

Karen R said...

I don't read mysteries.... Anne Boleyn always ends up dead.

Post a Comment