Saturday 5 June 2010

Outlook 2007 Calendar help please?

Is there any way, using Outlook 2007 to set up a second calendar that can be shared with others in the same organisation.

As part of my work, I arrange training sessions for staff.  I also keep a record of who is offsite at seminars/conferences etc.  I also would like to block out periods of time where my management does not want any training being conducted because we have higher priorities, planning for Children's BookWeek for example.

A calendar would a perfect, at-a-glance solution for all of these needs, but I already use my Outlook Calendar for my own movements, meetings, appointments etc. Putting all the training data into the same calendar is highly confusing.

My work IT will not allow me to download applications or tools onto my desktop and my management are highly resistant to using tools other than the Microsoft suite of programs, so I cannot simply set up a Google Calendar. So any suggestions?

10 comments:

Jodie Hill said...

Sorry - I'm completely illiterate when it comes to that kind of stuff :) I'm sure someone else can help you though!

Karen R said...

If it's like Outlook '03, create a new appointment/meeting, putting in time, etc, then invite attendees? That's how we schedule meetings at work. Any pertinent information, like conference call numbers, attachments, whatever, can be added in the big text field below. If it's recurring, it can be set up to send reminders as needed, weekly, monthly, whatever.

I'm sure there are minor differences between '03 & '07, but the basic functionality ought to be similar...

Melissa Hicks said...

Hi Karen, that's what I've been doing, but putting all the training everyone does in my calendar, as well as my own appointments/meetings makes for one very confusing calendar of appointments.

I'm wondering whether I can do the same thing but over two separate calendars, one for me, and one for the training. The idea of the second calendar is so managers can see what training their staff are attending at a glance, without checking out each individual's calendars separately. Also so I can see at a glance how much training is already scheduled for a month when management come up with the next lot of training they want implemented RIGHT NOW :)

Karen R said...

We have a shared folder in Outlook, in Public folders? It contains a calender that my entire department uses - us 3 here on the east coast, and all of the people out on the left coast. I don't know if the Public folder is a standard feature, or if IT had to set it up. Access had to be granted to get into it, but we all have read/write to it.

Mariann Mäder said...

Can you create a new user strictly for the purpose?

I know we've been looking for such a solution in our organisation as well...

Melissa Hicks said...

I don't have the authority and I've been told not to "bother IT with such trivialities".

Julie Dollery said...

Ahhh the beauty of bureaucracy. One suspects that it may well be likely for the Exchange Server techies to do this, but I doubt on an individual level. So if your boffins are not to be "bothered" you ay be out of luck.

Melissa Hicks said...

I suspect this may be the case - but I had to ask because anything I can do myself I will do myself :)

Mariann Mäder said...

Caramba!
That's harsh! And it would really be a tiny thing for them, after all, they're probably adding, removing and modifying users every day!

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

Mel - I believe you can make your calendar public. That way you could click on person xyz and see if they are in the office that day or not. Not sure if that's what you were looking for or everyone on one big calendar.

Post a Comment