Sunday 6 June 2010

World of Warcraft

I finally succumbed and joined WoW last weekend.  The State Library of NSW is hosting a seminar on Online Gaming and Libraries at the end of the month.  This seminar is being held INSIDE WoW!  In Stormwind in the Saurfang realm for those who are interested.

From the FAQ page: Any library worker from any library, anywhere is welcome to participate. You just need to register, and set up a toon. So any librarians who read this and wish to join in, please do so!

So I succumbed.  With a lot of advice from friends and a bit of help from a great friend I used to work with and the seminar organiser, I now have a 13th Level Human Warrior.

I justify this to myself that to get the full benefit of the seminar, I should really get a proper understanding of the game functions and dynamics :)

So I was having a play this morning ... having given up on Westfall for the quests being too hard for a solo player, I ran back to the other side of Elysian Forest and started a few quests that were too hard a few days ago.

Got all the way over to the area, started killing things, and heard baaaaa! in my ear.  Gordon, next door's sheep had walked in the house and was eyeing off the couch.

Meanwhile my character had died, so I ran her back to where she died, resurrected her, watched Gordon piddle on the linoleum and used my hearthstone to get my toon back to an inn and left the game to take Gordon outside.

OK, Gordon is locked outside, he has lots of grass and fresh water and can't back in. I've cleaned up his piddle and mopped the floor, time to try that quest again.

Oh bother, my home inn is back in Westfall.  Run alllllllllllllllll the way back to the other side of the Forest, get set up with protective spells, start to fight the baddies and the phone rings.  Its my Dad wanting to settle in for a long chat.  OK, character is dead. Run back to where I was in the game, resurrect and hearthstone home before engaging in battle again and my toon appears back in Westfall.

D'oh!

So an hour later, I've finished my phone call with Dad, and am wondering whether to try for a third time go through all that rigmarole for those two quests ....

Its a fine day, perhaps I might join Gordon in the garden and read my book for a while instead .... 

12 comments:

Kimberly Fawn said...

Don't worry, in a few more levels you can get a mount and you won't have to do all that running :) Welcome to WoW! I LOVE the game. :)

Melissa Hicks said...

That's so awesome! So do you play currently? Which sort of character is your favourite?

Jodie Hill said...

Joining Gordon in the garden with a book sounds like a good plan. I know nothing about WoW, seems to be one of those games I'd have to play AFTER the kids go to bed...

Kimberly Fawn said...

So far my favorites are the spell casters. Mage, warlock and druid. I have others that I fiddle around with every once in awhile.

Karen R said...

My big kid is a level 70-something mage; he played for about 12 hours straight yesterday, much to his brother's disgust. Fortunately, he's off with his gf all day today. If only he could get paid to play...

Julie Dollery said...

*Resists the urge to reopen my account & get hooked again*....Although I COULD give you a leg-up.....NO...Bad Julie....No WOW for you.

Sisu Lull said...

WoW has never tempted me. Isn't it the type where you can kill other players? I am not a good enough 'real time' player to put effort into a game where any random punk can turn me into a blood stain on the grass. I play Wizards (turn based combat), and Grand Fantasia (Real time combat) because neither game allows you to kill or rob other players. Wizards I bought crowns and bought access flat out. No monthly subscription fee and I can play forever. Grand Fantasia is completely free. Full access, no subscription, no trial period.

Melissa Hicks said...

I am pretty new to this but I don't think so - or more to the point, I think they have special arenas and areas where they do that. I dunno maybe its because I'm so new I'm not worth killing yet?

Maybe its because I'm one of the Australian servers, I'm finding random stangers are helping me kill things rather than trying to kill me ....

Melissa Hicks said...

well you could go for a little bit, just to provide some advice, maybe a couple of quests, no-one would ever have to know :) :) :) You could stop again right?

Sisu Lull said...

Maybe I have the wrong game too. My BIL played WoW and a couple other, so maybe it was one of the others where you could kill other people. Most games have a PvP (player-vs-player) area, but the one he talked about allowed you to go around randomly killing other players and stealing their treasure.

Julie Dollery said...

Just to clear up the confusion, WOW has both types of servers, one for "killing other players" (called PvP for Player Vs Player) & the rest where you can only battle others if you BOTH agree.

Melissa Hicks said...

Ah thanks Jules, that makes a lot of sense :) A couple of tims when I've been going through the towns I've been challenged to a duel but both times I just hit the decline button and kept moving. Thanks

Post a Comment