Tuesday 1 June 2010

Work Questions: Housebound or Home Delivery Service

Morning all,

I'm thinking of sending this questionnaire to my library managers to help with a housebound review I'm conducting.  What do you think of the following questions? Have I missed anything? Does your library do anything different? Innovative? Is there something you wished your library did that it doesn't do?

Please let me know!

Mel..

I’ve been quiet on reporting on the housebound front because I’ve been mulling over issues, especially after attending the Community Engagement training last month. I believe instead of organising the sort of service we want to give, we should arrange a series of meetings with housebound customers and ask what they want from us. At present we provide staff- or volunteer-selected books, audio books and DVDs on a regulated, rostered basis. Is that what they want from us?

 

Before going ahead with that, I’d like to ask, what are WE prepared to offer them? Could the Library Management Team please think on the following areas and let me know which options we do NOT want to pursue …

 

WHO

The image of the traditional housebound customer is a frail elderly luddite who would prefer someone to work “that danged computer” for them.  I respectfully submit that this is a very low percentage of our potential customer base.

·         Do we want to advertise in hospitals to provide a short-term service for those recovering from surgery?

·         Do we want to offer our services to anyone who requires in-house nursing, respite or carer assistance? Including children?

·         Do we want to provide a level of support and delivery to remote customers (those who live more than 30 minutes drive to a library branch)?

·         Do we want to open up a tier of service (possibly with a nominal payment) for those who would simply prefer home delivery (ala the supermarket home delivery services)?

 

WHAT

We currently provide staff or volunteer chosen books, LP books, audio and DVDs.

·         Do we want include these customers on standing magazine reservations?

·         Do we want to teach those customers interested in how to select and reserve their own materials?

·         Are there any materials or stock we don’t want to send out to housebound or home delivery customers?

·         Do we want to invest in technology such as Audio-Read’s Navigator http://www.audio-read.com.au/hardware.htm for our print-challenged customers?

·         Do we want to send out flyers/informational brochures extolling the changes/improvements to our websites? Allow them use to and understanding of databases, tumblr etc accessible via our library website?

·         Do we want to provide information on audio download and eBook download when these services become available?

·         What other information or services could we supply from the library or from City of Swan with their items?

·         Is there anything that we charge other Council departments to include in our deliveries (thereby offsetting some costs)?

 

HOW

Under the present system the housebound customer usually contacts us and the local branch asks them a series of predetermined questions to determine their likes and dislikes. This information is stored somewhere for staff and volunteers at that branch to use to select items from.

·         Do we want to start visiting these customers for face-to-face meetings to discuss their needs? Should the person who has initial contact be a readers’ advisory expert to best gauge their preferences?

·         Should we include a feedback slip in every item so they can advise us in our selection?

·         For those who possess the technology (PC, smartphone, iPad, laptop etc) should we go out one-on-one and teach them how to use the library catalogue to place their own reservations? Should we teach these same customers how to use NoveList or other databases so they can feel empowered to select their own materials?

 

WHEN

At present items are mostly delivered on a standard periodic basis via staff or volunteer at each library branch.

·         Do we want to continue doing this?

·         Do we want to centralise and run all home delivery or housebound from one library?

·         Do we want to enter into an official contact with a volunteer organisation for them to provide regular, reliable volunteers to supply and collect the items?

·         Do we want to offer staff the option of changing their position descriptions to allow them to spend time each week supplying and collecting the items on a regular rostered basis?

·         Do we want to purchase a vehicle for a library staff member to use to supply and collect the items on a regular rostered basis?

·         Rather than using the standard library bags (or shopping bags) do we want to invest in courier satchels whereby we post out the items and the customer or one of their visitors returns the satchel to their local Post Office to be delivered back to us? (We enter into an arrangement with Australia Post to pay a monthly fee for this service) This would be more like Netflix, whereby we send out the next batch when the first batch is returned. This is more flexible as it doesn’t rely on rostered regular deliveries.

 

IN SHORT

·         If the community want these options, which are prepared to provide?

·         Or to put it another way, which of these options are outside the realm of what we are prepared to fight for?

 

 

13 comments:

Kerry Dustin said...

As someone who doesn't qualify as housebound but doesn't always find it easy to get out, I'd be happy to pay a fee for delivery (or posting) of books. I'm lucky to have a husband who will go and pick up my reserves for me, but if I didn't I don't know if I'd always be able to make it to the library before the hold runs out.

I also think it would be wonderful if our library offered ebooks to borrow. They've just started with the Overdrive audibook system, which I've tried, but right now I can't listen to audiobooks (I fall asleep) and would prefer ebooks.

Also, as someone who is tech-savvy, I hardly ever browse the shelves these days anyway. I have so many suggestions from friends and blogs that I put on reserves online (even if a book is on the shelf at one of the branches) and then Dave or I go and pick them up. Providing people have the technology, this should work for the housebound as well, as they can choose their books online and then have them dropped off?

I don't know if any of these is helpful, just tossing out a couple of ideas since that seems to be what you're asking for.

Melissa Hicks said...

Exactly the sort of info I was looking for Kerry! Thanks!

Julie Dollery said...

I think it's probably worth reviewing the way the major uni's handle their off-campus' students needs too. I remember when I was studdying off-campus with Deakin I was overjoyed that they not only provided an online catalogue, they also provided photocopy/scan & email service for specific pages, as well as the ability for student to specify requestes such as "I need material relating to the development of XXXX in the late 1800's", and the uni would provide an email list of books I could then choose from (or simply just send me likely matches). In practice...I could Google my library.

Melissa Hicks said...

Jules, I was going to reject your ideas becuse Public Libraries don't support tertiary students, but then a second's reflection realised this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for: suggestions outside the box. Suggestions that help my management look at the broader implications and get out of the mindset that all library functions are within the building!

Thank you sweetheart!

Jodie Hill said...

Wow! Those are all really good ideas. I've never really given it a lot of thought, but having a housebound service from the library would be a good program. I honestly don't know if our library has one. I like the idea of having someone make an initial contact with the client to get an idea of the type of books they are interested in - especially if they aren't tech-savvy. Your elderly clientele probably aren't going to be as up on ebooks or other electronic options. I'm still scratching my head over my library's $4/10 day rental on new releases...

kay jones said...

Obviously each country has their own system but here we havea mobile library. It goes out to each area once a fortnight and stops as predesignated places (although it will stop outside your house if asked to). They carry a reasonable range of books and again, if asked will bring items requested. I'm not sure if they carry ebooksdvds, etc. as its years since I used it as I go into the library every 3 weeks. It is certainly a good scheme here, especially as villages in this part of the country do tend to be isolated and yes, there are still some people who do not drive; never go to town and do all their shopping at the village shop.

On a personal point. I think you would be surprised just how many "old frail people" are computer "savy". We may look and sound a bit doddery but its still all there up top. I'm sure many of your elderly customers would be delighted to have someone go and see them and explain all about the library system.

Melissa Hicks said...

Exactly the point I want to get across to them! Thanks Kay!

Melissa Hicks said...

That one would have me scratching my head too! We don't even charge overdue fines here ....

Jodie Hill said...

I stopped at the library on my way home for a program catalog - it's for the whole library system in our county. I asked the librarian what was up with the $4/10 day rental thing since I wasn't familiar with it (and one of my favorite authors was one of the books in the display.) Apparently it's a way to bolster additional funds for the library and ensure that the bestsellers cycle through faster. Hmm. Still not going to pay $4 to read a book. I can wait for it to show up in the regular circulation and take my turn. I have enough other things to read I don't have to have a new book as soon as it hits the shelves. Most of what I do read isn't the mainstream bestsellers everyone talks about anyway... Oh, and our library doesn't have a publicized housebond program, but if someone wanted books and called them, they would have a volunteer run things out.

Sisu Lull said...

I live in a small rural community, and amazingly, most of my neighbors do not even own a computer. About 80% of those on my road anyway. One of the kids said I must be 'rich' because I owned a desktop AND a laptop, LOL.

Highspeed internet is not available here, so e-books and audio book downloads are not feasible. My husband and I have cellular internet, but needed to invest close to $400 in equipment to amplify the signal enough to use it, plus the $65 a month provider fee. Most around here simply can't afford that, so online library functions would not reach the bulk of the people.

That being said, they easiest way to reach people and introduce a program like this to them would be our local paper. I know paper communication is dying in most areas, but it is still #1 around here.

I think personal pick-up and delivery of the books would be best. Mail is somewhat less than reliable and provides a weak link. Both in books not arriving with the patrons and not being returned either, whether they are mailed or simply claim to have been mailed.

Having a feedback slip in each book would be good I think. Perhaps give the customer the choice between choosing specific books or letting the library/volunteers choose for them, right on the slip.

The mobile library is nice as well, but still limits the participation of some housebound patrons. They may not be able to get out to a vehicle, and the time and work it would take for a driver to haul all books in and out for them to make a choice would be prohibitive.

You do have some excellent questions on there and should get a lot of good feedback. Your coworkers are sure to come from dissparate backgrounds and communities and may have more info and ideas on what would or could work with the type of area they are familiar with.

Anyway you look at it, if you wish to expand your housebound program, advertising it would be step #1 IMO. I do not believe our library has a formal program, but in such a small town, friends and neighbors usually bring books to elderly, infirm, or disabled patrons.

Rosanne Derrett said...

We have a state of the art public library here, just 3 miles from home. It is very much a multifunction library and has a wonderful selection of paper and audio books, DVD's etc. It is very disabled friendly having ramps and a lift and no heavy doors. As a disabled customer I also do not get overdue fines and can reserve books for free. Everyone else pays. As for home delivery, it is not available; the mobile service is but not everyone can manage the steps (me included). The library is part of the Open Learning scheme and U3A plus offers free internet access.

The other thing to consider with the home delivery option, it is the social contact that isthe most important part of the whole thing. Spending a little time with the customer is good for everyone. It show people that caring is good and that is can assist the customer to get better service. Not everyone who is housebound is old either - there are many younger people who are stuck in four walls. Some are not tech literate but most are as it is often the only regular contact they have outside the home. You can also think about using Social Services to promote the service as they have most contact with housebound persons as do doctors.

Your co-workers may have the disparate backgrounds as Sisu rightly says, but for most of them, the frustration and isolation of being housebound is outside their experience so the pleasure of having a visitor bringing new reading materials cannot be fully appreciated either.
Just my 2c as a tech savvy, disabled library user who would kill for a volunteer to lug my books home on the bus from next month!

Melissa Hicks said...

Rosanne, Its for you and Kerry and Claire that I decided to post this list here. I love hearing from everybody about their library services - Jodie's bestseller charges have me completely flabbergasted! And Julie's comments on student outreach is an area I never would have considered.

I did however want to hear from those that do not follow the strict definition of "housebound" but yet could do with a bit of a helpout. So thanks for your comments. I'll feed all of this back into the questionnaire and presentation next week.

Thanks everyone!

Kerry Dustin said...

We have bestseller charges at our library too. When a book comes in they buy enough copies that some go into general circulation immediately and go to the people that pre-reserved the book. The others go on the bestsellers shelf and can be borrowed for a small charge for a shorter time (never used it so don't know the exact details). It means their are books for both the impulse borrower who is happy to pay and the ones that got in line early but don't want to pay the bestseller charge.

Post a Comment