Friday 26 November 2010

Humbling and inspiring!

Last week Claremont Public Library here in Perth, was destroyed in a fire. It was after hours so no-one was hurt, but I believe they lost everything in the building.

Staff from Claremont had been working through my Web 2.0 Basics course.This week I received the following email:

I work for the Claremont Library and we were doing the training on your blog. Thanks to lesson #2 we have learned to write our own blog. This skill came in handy to communicate after the tragedy of our library burning down. Our blog is http://claremontlibrarywithoutwalls.blogspot.com please check it out and spread the word.

Read their blog! I am humbled.  I honestly don't know if my workplace would have bounced back so positively from such a disaster. Claremont have taken the bull by the horns and turned disaster to opportunity; rather than  bemoaning "oh woe is us - our collection is our life" they have taken the opportunity to learn new techniques and new forms of communicating with their customers!  The workers at Claremont Library are inspirational!

2 comments:

Hilary Syddall said...

Oh Goddess! So sorry to hear that the library burnt down (but a serious *phew!!* that no-one was injured or worse) and yes I am humbled as well that they have jumped back in without a thought

Sisu Lull said...

What a terrible tragedy. The loss of knowledge... AT least in this day and age, there is seldom only one copy of a work, so they will be able to rebuild and restore their collection. Nice that they sent you a note about the blog too.

Post a Comment