Sunday 14 November 2010

Stitching update

How many months has it been this time :)

Back in July-August sometime I finished a JAR designs Christmas project as a model stitch for Colours Down Under. It was a great little project - stitched up in under a week (it took me nearly three weeks to get it beaded though!)  Unfortunately I didn't realise until recently that the batteries in my camera were low when I took photos of this one - so I'll put up a better picture when the I next see the bell pull in Colours Down Under shop.

After that, I stitched the little Inkcircles Halloween design from the 2010 JCS Halloween issue. I stitched it on a piece of Colours Down Under handyed 32ct jobelan. I have enough of the same piece to do up Inkcircles Masquerade when that chart comes in.  I originally thought that the Halloween freebie was a companion piece from Masquerade, but now I realise its actually a small piece of the whole design - oh well. 

Edit: This was completely wrong!  I received a copy of the chart as a surprise in the mail today - thank you so much Tracy!!!  And now that I can see it closely - I see there are differences, the Halloween small is indeed a complementary chart!

I stitched my version with Glow-in-the-Dark thread for the moon, but my little camera isn't good enough to photograph the luminescence, so you'll have to take my word for it that the moon looks awesome in the dark - especially as the branches look like assisi work :)


Then as a break, I started some canvas work needlepoint. Big chunky 18ct plastic canvas!  I've stitched up four of the Needle Delights Colour Delights series so far.

Tangerine was the first I stitched. I adored the different threads and the different types of stitches used!  

Cocoa took two weeks to stitch - my doctor had me on a completely caffeine-free diet for two weeks. That included no chocolate, so I stitched Cocoa instead. 

Pumpkin was so much fun - I loved that it started in the corner and radiated outwards. This was the first one that i didn't need to double check I had it the right way up.

Bubblegum (gasp its pink!) I survived :)

I've now stated Indigo. Its another concentric one like Tangerine.  I'm halfway around it and discovered that I've already turned it 90 degrees but meh - no-one will know I hope.

Each of these have had small issues, one chart didn't specify which thread to use in one of the rows, another kit had a couple of threads left out. Indigo has a Watercolour and a Waterlilies the same colour and I used the wrong one, so had to frog and use the other.  But these are small inconveniences. 

All in all - I'm having a lot of fun with these and I think I will do a heap more and eventually finish them into a wall hanging. I have a lot of different black fabric (black wool, black cotton damask etc) from my sewing days, so I thought I would use that to make the wall hanging from - each of these colours (even the indigo) will stand out on the black.

1 comment:

Melissa Hicks said...

Edited to correct the mistaken assumption about Masquerade - and to say THANK YOU TRACY!

Post a Comment