Sunday 1 July 2007

Transformers

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Action & Adventure
OK the original Gen 1 cartoons were pretty lame especially when compared to contemporaries such as Voltron and He-Man. I didn't really get into this show. I will admit I only went to see the movie because this is P's favourite children's cartoon and as a child he had the action figures etc etc. Oh and he offered to pay for my ticket.

Well I can honestly say this was the best action film I have seen in ages !!!!! Fantastic! Loved the transformers, loved the battle scenes, loved the plot line (mostly).

Apparently it is pretty true to the original in terms of continuity according to P. As a non-Transformers fan, I didn't lose anything from the experience. Everything is explained well enough for me. And it is completely updated for a 2007 audience - for example when Sam first sees his car moving about on his own, he immediately thinks of Stephen King's Christine! I love it !!!!!

If I had to pick faults:
1. the cringeworthy 80s music Bumblebee plays when Sam is trying to get the girl in the beginning of the movie

2. The overuse of the hand-held cam. Some fantastic transforming and action shots were blurred or out of shot because we are seeing them as though through a particular spectators point of view instead of an all-encompassing aerial view.

3. In what's becoming the American standard - the bad guys are spiky and the good guys are more rounded and soft-lined. I think some of the depetacons were tooo spiky and away from their original designs ..... i.e. the CD player turns into something made from mechano and has no resemblance to a CD player left on him ....

4. The movie is slow to get going. We see a deceptacon fighting right at the beginning of the movie and then its all human interaction and plot development for what feels like hours before the action scenes really start up again.

The ending was worth the wait! Fabulous fight scenes! The human reactions were real, the transformers themselves had believable personalities! And (something that is important to me) the two main females (human - no Arcee!) in the movie are strong and stand up for themselves rather than being helpless heroines in distress!

In summary: If you love action movies - go see this one! Immediately !!!!!

2 comments:

Karen R said...

Glad it turned out to be as good as it looks! I don't know if we'll actually get to it, or not - saving up to see HP in Imax, though we won't go opening weekend - I don't do crowds very well. Maybe this will be a good Christmas DVD...

Melissa Hicks said...

Actually Karen I was thinking of you and your buys when writing that review - it was definitely worth seeing on the big screen - if we had an IMAX here I would go and see it again on that !!!!

It is definitely a bigscreen movie - not a wait for DVD - sorry to do that to your wallet!

Post a Comment