Saturday 25 August 2007

Storm damage - Ten weeks later

Well its been ten weeks since the storms that created so much havoc both in the whole area and to me personally.

The phone was re-connected in five days.  The electricity came back in seven days.  The road down the front was cleared away in five days, the actual trees themselves were removed and taken for wood chipping or firewood three weeks later.

In the intervening seven weeks nothing has happened in the back yard.  In fact the insurance assessor only came out earlier this week.  As it is simply external damage, it was low priority - people who couldn't live in their homes were highest priority and well with so much damage up the coast, it took them 10 weeks to get to my landlady's claim.

She still doesn't know if they will cover much of the work.  Removing the tree and replacing any tiles on the roof will indeed be fixed.

Apparently her insurance company does not cover storm damage to grounds or external structures (like walls, fences, gates etc).  Apparently because the storm created sooo much havoc in such a large area, they made a decision to offer home owners a one-off payment towards this type of damage.  My landlady doesn't yet know what amount that will be or how much of the removal and rebuild work that will cover.

Nor will the insurance company cover any extra damage done during the wait for the assessor.  For example if there is any water damage in the ceiling (from water coming in from the broken tiles because of the tree) it will not be covered.

7 comments:

Claire EJ said...

It's sad because that used to be a beautiful back yard..sigh.....seems unfair....

I hate insurance companies....they really do upset me.I know they are just in it to make money but what's the point in offering a policy if they then won't pay out on it, sigh.

Melissa Hicks said...

Well I tell you its certainly given me pause for concern. As you know I was thinking of buying this place, but I'll have to check with *my* insurance company to see what they would pay for something like this - living on the side of steep hill you can bet your bottom dollar that this will happen again at some point down the track ....

Mariann Mäder said...

It certainly isn't nice if you have to ask something from them... as long as you pay your premiums you're welcome, but just don't you dare having a claim... happens all too often.

Though I have to say when I wrecked my car and two others along with it six years ago my insurance company covered everything and I still got 13000 CHF for my wrecked car. Paid a higher premium for another two years, but it was very bearable, so a good story there.

But Mel, what's the point of having such an insurance if they exclude something like external damage per default??? That to me sounds rather idiotic... Or just an easy trick to ask for higher premiums if you want it covered.

Melissa Hicks said...

Her insurance company said landslides are only covered if they are caused by earthquake or explosion. Like either of them is going to happen *here* !!!!

And my landlady is contesting it because her policy states that they will cover retaining wall failures as long as the wall was "in good repair". But the insurance company says they weren't and anyway the wall wouldn't have failed if the landslip didn't occur ..... chicken and egg if you ask me!

Anyway she's waiting to see what lump sum they offer before she decides whether or not to take them to court.

Mind you I stopped using that some company back in 2002 after they increased my premiums for my car insurance and insisted I was "at fault" for two accidents that occurred why my car was parked and I was asleep. A couple of side swipes while I was visiting friends in Sydney. This company decided because the culprits were never found, I was automatically "at fault". My current insurance company doesn't feel the same way thankfully!

Paula Hubert said...

Hoo boy! I know there have been large issues here, too in the wake of Katrina. Insurance companies blaming water damage on flooding, which unfortunately has to be separate insurance. Nevermind that the flooding was CAUSED by the hurricane!

Hilary Syddall said...

Hmm isn't always amazing how quick insurance companies are to take your cash - but try getting any of it back!

Karen R said...

Insurance companies and banks - two of the biggest legal scams on the planet, and not a damn thing you can really do about either.

Post a Comment