Tuesday 16 October 2007

Late home again tonight ...

http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/latest_news/content.jsp

Service Interruptions

Posted 16/10/07 03:25pm
Newcastle & Central Coast Line - Major delays
CityRail advises that trains have been suspended on the Newcastle & Central Coast Line between Hornsby and Cowan in both directions due to a bushfire requiring the line to be closed for safety reasons at Mt Kuring-gai. Major delays can be expected.

Numerous bus companies have been contacted, however due to their own commitments only a limited number of buses are available to operate between Hornsby and Cowan.

CityRail advises customers to delay travelling until alternative transport becomes available and confirmation is received that roads in the area are open. We suggest customers call the Transport Infoline on 131500 for the latest recorded updates before going to their station or wait for further updates.

CityRail suggests that you take some water with you.

Emergency services are in attendance. At this stage there is no forecast of when the line can be reopened. Further information will be provided as it becomes available.

6 comments:

Donna Williams said...

So, how are you going to get to work and back, Mel? See, this is the part about public transportation that baffles me. You still have to get to work, but they've shut down the lines for an undetermined amount of time. Here, the only time we have any sort of option is if there is weather that makes it just completely unsafe to drive.

Melissa Hicks said...

Ummm Teegs - I sent that at around 3:30pm - I was already at work. It was getting home that was worrying me.

In the end I stayed at work until 5:45pm and then took my changes at the Railway station. Wasn't too bad because we got a cooler change through in the air and so they re-opened the line and I was home about 8:15pm.

If it was the other way and they closed the line before I went to work then I simply wouldn't have bothered going in - I would have just stayed home for the day,

Karen R said...

At least you got home, and not in the wee hours. I would be frantic about getting to work - when we have ice storms here, I literally cannot get off my street. It just really makes me mad that I have to use up a vacation day for something that I have absolutely no control over, especially if I am also sitting at home with no power, and I can't go get warm food or warm anything, for that matter. But I usually follow one of those days in a couple weeks with a sick day, when the cold I caught while getting a chill in my cold house gets a real good hold on me :)

Hilary Syddall said...

Hmm how long does the bush fire season normally last Gothy? ie how long are you going to be having this kind of disruption?

Melissa Hicks said...

Pretty much until next April.

Paula Hubert said...

Hoo boy! You answered my main question, tho, which was were you posting from home or work and did you manage to GET home!

Teegs, I had the same thought as you about public transportation; but last time there were train delays, the roads were closed, too, so driving wouldn't have been any better!

Post a Comment