Saturday 8 August 2009

Gluten-free thoughts

I've just started reading "Gluten Free Girl" by Shauna James Ahern.  I've been a devotee of her website for a while.

In the books she specifically addresses the issue of people like me who "cheat" and has "just a bite" of gluten-containing foods ....  

She says "The ability to shift to living gluten-free takes a psychological shift. It is a shift that must happen, however.  How many people spend years mooning over the man who broke up with them, still wishing he was the one? Think of gluten as an abusive boyfriend."

She also talks about the tiredness and listlessness a lot of people experience when eating gluten.  Thinking about it, we eat junk food when I'm too tired to cook.  I'm too tired to cook in part, because I keep ingesting these foods.

This may be a vicious circle ....

I'm going to cook some of the recipes out of her book.  Only problem is anyone know where I can source sorghum flour or Pomegranate Molasses?  Some of the most delicious sounding recipes have ingredients that I just can't source at my local supermarket :(

But isn't that always the way and isn't that part of why I think they sound delish? Because they are flavour sensations I haven't tried before?

Hmm - more good food thoughts ....

9 comments:

Tina Starke said...

Mel, if you go to www.foodnetwork.com, and type in Pomegranate Molasses, there is a recipe to make your own. You'll need pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice. For the sorghum flour, Bob's Red Mill makes it. I know I can find that around here so if you come up dry, let me know and I'll send you some packages.

Karen R said...

Good luck making the switches you need! Never having really paid that much attention to it, I wonder how much of an issue it is for people to find gluten-free stuff here, too...

Claire EJ said...

It's an issue in every country to be realistic.
The stuff they have here in the supermarket is really not worth buying. Some of it is vile and tasteless and maybe some of it is edible but not really....

Mel, I wonder how many of your gluten issues are also yeast issues? I know mine really are yeast hassles....

Paula Hubert said...

I'm fortunate on the gluten issue, but I know about the mental shift.. it's what I have to deal with to keep my weight under control. I can't look at myself as being on a diet.. or I know I won't stick with it. It's tough to get there, but once you do, it's worth it!

My aunt needs to be gluten free, so I'm also aware of some of the struggle with finding ingredients and good products. Good luck!

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

Mel my MIL is gluten free and the stuff she cooks tastes horrible. I hope you have better luck finding what you need to make good tasting food and if I can search for anything let me know.

Melissa Hicks said...

Its easy to make GF meals - meat and veg or a good stirfry. GF baked goods is a whole 'nother matter :)

Well being strict (with the exception of one onion ring last night) has been helping. I've felt more clear in the head and the dry scaly patches on my face are going away. And its only been a fortnight so far.

We are finding more prepacked GF foods here. This is good for my soul (Jaffa cakes - I found GF Jaffa cakes !!!!) but it isn't helping my waistline at all .....

Melissa Hicks said...

Haven't really considered yeast. Hmm I don't eat bread, drink beer regularly or eat vegemite. What else is yeast-filled?

Mariann Mäder said...

pizza dough, any other dough for cakes that includes yeast, which can range from sweet to savoury...

As far as I know some yeasts can also be used in other foods...

Your main problem is that while it's easy to cook gluten free it's always a bit more time consuming and you have to keep away from anything pre-made. Snacks are out unless they're veg or fruit.

Not an easy life with all that's available on the street and 95% of that is related to anything containing flour.

Laura Landis said...

Mel, I found this recipe to make your own pomegranate molasses. Here's a link: http://www.recipezaar.com/Homemade-Pomegranate-Molasses-86849 and another one from Food Network's Alton Brown: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pomegranate-syrup-or-molasses-recipe/index.html

Hope this helps!

Post a Comment