Saturday 25 November 2006

Long day




Well last night was the library staff dinner - due to a completely amazingly stupid error of judgement I ended up sitting next to the bozo who is wrecking all the good work I did int he library for the past 12 months - and opposite the library services manager and his mistress. He's the f'wit that has no empathy or care for any of staff except for the new young 20-something on his other side who he spent the night chatting up !!!

A few times I wanted to feign illness and escape but I didn't! I ate very very little - I felt sick to the stomach by the horrible self-serving lies coming out of both men's mouths and after the food I escaped up to the other end of the table where my friends were. Spent the rest of the night in fantastic company discussing servers, library specific software, the works of Naomi Novik and the origins of human evolution on earth.

Got home around 10:30pm, checked emails and went to bed - dragged myself out of bed long enough to scour the website Claire listed as a retail source of JAR threads - they also had a number of specials so I searched their site and made some good bargains on some kreinik threads etc and then right at the end while I was checking out they added $18.00 US postage !!!!!

For floss !!!!!! no way.

So I cancelled everything and went to work. Long dreary day - hot and I missed mist of the cricket. We held a book sale and there was so much of it I was giving away a whole box of books for 50 cents :) The sale had been ongoing for three days and anything that wasn't sold by COB today was going in the bin - so after lunch I started offering amazing discounts and deals - take as much as you want - we'll do a deal, how much money do you have ??? Oh yeah no worries 50 cents a box .....

Most of the good stuff had already been picked over in the past couple of days but I still found and brought home a full boxful myself - Paul turned up an hour before close and he still brought home a half box....

After work we went food shopping and then detoured on the way home and found a fantastic gluten-free organic health food supermarket!!!! And for a change their prices were competitive with the large supermarkets - they had gluten-free brands I had never seen before at reasonable prices. And 90-% of the stock was also organic - they have everything from canned food to fresh produce to meat to vegetarian meat substitutes to cleaning products to cosmetics - such a fantastic shop. DK they even have biodegradable disposable nappies !!!!

Anyway I was so hot and tired when we finally got home that I stripped off my work clothes, cracked open a beer and flopped down. Two hours later I'm on my fourth beer, I'm pleasantly buzzed, I've just emailed JAR threads directly to find a price and availability of the threads needed for "Is it my eyes"

I also put an order in with Wyndham Needlework's for fabric for: "Black Beauty or something in red", "why is it?" and "friendship tree" .......

Whoops dinner just got served, with my 5th beer ..... back soon .....

Oooh yummm - homemade falafel kebab wraps ..... first attempt and very yummy ... very very yummy !!!!!!

OK where was I - OK yeah I left work went shopping, found a fantastic new store came home, got changed drank beer, went internet shopping, drank more beer, Paul cooked us dinner, drank more beer ..... yep that's about it. Oh and we've listened to CD's by Wolfmother and my favourite Living End greatest hits and their cover album which is cool - their version of U2's Sunday bloody Sunday is better than the original! !!! My favourite band ever - hard rock meets punk - a Melbourne group - love these boys !!!!!

Feeling pretty good right now ..... Except I'm not sure - I feel drunk but I think this post was pretty much coherent and I did fancy things like look up internet sites and add links so I can drink a sixth beer if I feel like it over dessert ...... hmmm and I'm not sure I should be allowed access to my credit card and internet shopping while inebriated .....

OK gotta go now - obviously no stitching will be done tonight.... off to fall asleep during an episode or three of Beast Machines ....




15 comments:

Claire EJ said...

Oh I love it...."Why Is It" is sooooo me. A must find.
Yeah, know what ya mean about the shipping cost. I started placing an order with SnT last night for two items and the shipping again was $18. Cancelled it and will have to think again. So effing annoying.

The sixth beer sounds dangerous to me. I live with a Beer and couldn't imagine six of them. Neither of us drink the stuff. He's a wines and strongknockyoudead cider man and I'm a sometimes red wine and often spirits drinker. The other Claire introduced me to Tia Maria with lemonade which has me knocking back the bottle night after night. Had that one big bottle for years and this is a great way to use it up.
Hic.

Claire EJ said...

So instead of a completely fun evening, half of it was shite. Sorry love. Bad move.
Glad the rest was fun.

The band who covered U2.....website perchance??

Melissa Hicks said...

Living End:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_End
http://www.thelivingend.com.au/
http://www.myspace.com/TheLivingEnd

Melissa Hicks said...

You can see some of my eclectic tastes there :)

{snicker} I forgot that was your partner's name :) {lol} good one !!!!!

I drink white wine with dinner, and spirits at parties and fortified wines as nightcaps.


But there's something about hit weather and watching the cricket - that brings out the dormant beer drinker in me- I can't drink beer unless its over 35 degrees Celsius and the cricket is on the TV :)

Claire EJ said...

Snorts.....oh yeah, it was the sixth beer ..

Can't stand the stuff ever since being totally drunk one late night, walking home across Wandsworth Bridge and the smell of hops coming from the brewery had me heaving into the Thames....never again.

Melissa Hicks said...

Ooooh blah! That would do it for me too! Actually I've come to be a beer drinker late in life and it has to be the aforesaid conditions before I will drink it. I don;t think I've ever become truly cannot walk drunk on beer - you just need to drink so much of it! And I've been running to the toilet ever since - beer goes through the body sooo quickly :)

DK did you ever drink any of the Grand Cru that my ex made? Well last night I tried a bottle of Boag's St George - and it is quite similar - it has that citrus note in it with a crisp finish. I'll be buying more of it for Xmas :)

Paula Hubert said...

Sorry about the dinner part of the Library thing.. but at least you could enjoy the later part!

I'm with you on the beer part - it's gotta be hot out, and the beer has to be COLD! (Sorry Steve [VBG]) I did try a local ale in a pub when I was in the UK, but really didn't care for it at the temps they served it :(. I've gotten rather hooked on weissbeer here (made from wheat, not hops), but it's tough to find. Mostly, though, I'm a wine and spirits (usually rum) kinda girl.

Melissa Hicks said...

Paula I agree with you - its got to be very hot outside and the beer very very cold inside :) And I love the wheat beers (even though I'm not supposed to have them) and I adore the german whit (white) beers too.

Claire EJ said...

I loathe ale unless it's used in a beef and ale casserole. It's just not drinkable....

Melissa Hicks said...

oooooh - now that's a taste sensation I haven't had in a while .... in about 5 years actually ..... I wonder if it would be too silly to put a casserole in the oven in these temperatures ...... I might just go and see when the next coolish day is .....

You don't happen to have a good recipe do you?

Claire EJ said...

Erm, I cheat, bigtime. I buy a jar of sauce and then add to it. Mushrooms, carrots, some kind of onion, extra flour or equiv to thicken.Sometimes I'll add an Oxo cube or a dash of Worcester sauce....

Melissa Hicks said...

Oh bother - my ex had a great recipe out of an English cookbook of his mothers but darned if I could ever remember which book it was out of ........

Melissa Hicks said...

These ladies have been very good - even though everything has been organised via email instead of an automated system or shopping cart - and I'm only paying around $US 1.25 per half-skein which isn't too bad.

They are processing my payment and posting my threads tomorrow. I'll post pics when they arrive .....

Paula Hubert said...

That's good to know, Mel! I haven't come across anything that uses their fibers (yet?) but I'm glad you're having a good experience. And don't forget, if it's international shipping that will kill your order, we can work out a deal and you can have something shipped to me.

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Paula - I'll take you up on that sometime :)

I know I actually have two charts that call for these JAR threads - but I'm darned if I can figure out what the other chart is! I thought it was Lisa Cowell's Witches Pantry - but I was wrong - that one uses Crescent Colours threads ......

Post a Comment