Thursday 2 November 2006

First update in a while




Hi all,



Multiply was playing up for a while so I couldn't post a journal entry - and
then life kinda got in the way (as per usual) but I've decided stuff it, I'm
not going to work today so I thought I'd try and get a journal entry done.



Hmm let’s see - Health - the doc is telling me to change jobs. She says that my
stress levels are mucking up my system. The blood and urine tests do not match
the severity of the symptoms I am experiencing. She says to change jobs and
speak to a counsellor and then come and see her in a month's time. Great!



Work - nuff said. I got in trouble yesterday and called a liar because I couldn’t
send an email out because my systems were down. All connectivity to my Branch
was out all day as they decided (without informing me) to take down the
telecommunications tower and play with it. It was supposed to take a couple of
hours - I believe it’s still not fixed now (24 hours later). The head of
Children's Services came out and abused me for not reading my emails (hellooo I
can’t access the network!!!) She then instructed me to send an email to a work
colleague (sure - when the network comes back up) Oh and don’t forget to read my
emails in future (riiight!)



Two hours later I was speaking to a colleague on the phone and asked which
branch I was supposed to be at this morning? The Head of Children's Services
overhead the conversation and tore strips off my colleague! Why is Melissa
ringing you, why isn't she checking her emails? I sent her an email telling her
where she was supposed to be! Why are *you* getting involved! Ummm maybe because
Mel can't read her emails today and I'm the Librarian in charge of rostering....



[Sigh] Of course you see it was one great big plot. My systems weren't down -
my staff and I *like* handwriting all incoming and outgoing bar codes, relying
on our memories to answer reference queries and generally being electronically
cut off from the world - what planet is this woman on !!!!



One of the neighbours up the street who have just moved in have a young baby -
and they couldn’t get the poor mite to sleep last night - it cried and screamed
from 2am until around 6:30am. So I have a screaming headache and no interest at
being at work. So I'm home all day.



Good news - lets see, umm I'm home all day! I submitted a fantastic job app for
a different job with a different organisation last week. DK was on the phone
with me for HOURS going through and correctly wording, grammar etc....



Oh and I went to a great party last weekend - well there weren't enough people
to make a real party so it was more a gathering of good friends and partners (9
of us in total) so it was a good night of swapping stories, munching out on
party food oh and we watched an Adamms Family movie - the last one I think with
the baby in it.



The theme of the night was Addams Family reunion - I didn't have any of my SC
stuff here and no Goth stuff so I bought a cheap now outfit at Millars. It is a
black skirt with a black and grey lace overlay, a black camisole and a see thru
jacket made only out of the black and grey lace.



I was told I only needed wings to look like an evil fairy. Considering I've put
on weight again - I'll take any nice compliments about clothes :) Apparently
there's a photo somewhere of me hugging and being hugged by a 6'3" guy
dressed in drag. It was the only photo of me that night that came out in focus
:) I'll drop a copy here when I can get one.



Stitching - well I finished Valour and put a few more stitches in Cirque - but
mainly this week, my threads from the Stitched From the Heart closing down sale
came in. I waited until they were 70% off and then I bought one of each thread
she still had in stock. There's weren't many - I think I got 5 Gentle Art
Sampler Threads, 3 Weeks dye works, but I did get over 50 skeins of DMC Perle 5
and about a dozen Mill Hill bead packets. The week before I got 115 skeins of
DMC cotton so it’s been a good haul for not much money. How did you go DK?



So for the past few nights I've finally hauled my copy of Organized Expressions
and I've slowly started adding my thread stash onto it. Anita inspired me, so
I'll start going through my stash and adding bits on as I go. It will be a
sloowwww process. I might do like Anita and send out a garage sale of items I've
ended up with but don't want. After DK and mum look through them that is :)



Today - today is probably going to be a disgustingly domestic day as I start to
unpack again. I haven’t unpacked any boxes in about 8 weeks - what with the
flu, depression, work anxiety etc, so I might go get my craft room unpacked - after
all I need to sew soon, and I need to make soap this weekend - I got inspired a
few weeks ago and rejoined my soaping lists and joined a swap - but then found
out it was using a technique I had never used before - oh well its all learning
- so I need to unpack my soaping supplies and get that made this weekend too. Actually
if I get enthused once I've started, I might make a few more batches to add
into Christmas stockings etc..... hmmmm....



Oh and I got my first month's fabric from the Silkweaver Fabric of the Month
club yesterday!!!! I'm in the opalescent one so I got an 18 x 27 Midas Touch
and a 13 x 18 Poltergeist. Pic below.



One and I received my door prizes from Lavender Wings from the Needlecraft Show
and I received Ocean's Daughter from Natalie!!! Thanks soooo much Nate! that
one is done on a fabric similar to the one I used for Paul's P and in the
*exact* same colour - Crescent Colours Bejewelled! So I could start that one on
existing supplies!!!!!!



Well that's about it for now - time go and get organised - I’ve had breakfast
and done yesterday's Sudoku. I've gotten addicted to Sudoku! That is solo sad! I
got the new Cross Stitch Collection magazine in the mail yesterday and after
flipping through it (the Christmas edition - but not my sort of Christmas
designs) I settled on the last page and did the Sudoku.



Hugs all and hope life is treating you all well....








7 comments:

Diane Call said...

Didn't do as well as you, but didn't do badly either. Like you, I ordered one of every thread she had left, plus some Mill Hill beads. I only got one specialty thread, 3 mill hill packets and about 50 DMC. As it only came to $24.00, I'm happy!

Donna Williams said...

Sounds like your week has been a rough go all around. Mine's had it's moments, so I can almost understand. But it sounds as if you survived and managed to end up on a positive note.

Hugs to you, Sweetie for managing to get through it!

Hilary Syddall said...

Grrr don't you just have bad times with some colleagues. DH works in a computer hardware design place and one of the designers can't use her computer! (she is new and as DH says she may not last the probation period.)

Luckily you had all the new stash to cheer you up (lucky you! I am doing the no more stash till 50 projects done challenge!)

Dragon

Paula Hubert said...

{{{Mel}}} Lots of hugs and good thoughts to you - it sounds like a miserable time at work to be sure! I think having a day off is the best thing.. and sending lots of good "get the job" thoughts your way!

Melissa Hicks said...

Hilary, You have soo much willpower - there is no way I could go that long without buying stash - I couldn't even do 50 ornaments let alone medium or BAP sized projects!

Mel just shakes her head in amazement!

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Paula and Teegs - I don't know what's scaring me more, the fact that this conscientious hard worker is taking time off work when I'm not absolutely dying - or the fact that I'm doing it and I just don't care. I feel no guilt over it -I hate the place that much. I've been in the workforce now for 14 years - I've been unemployed for a total time of three weeks since I finished my first Uni degree - and I've never felt this much apathy in my own performance before. Ever.

Natalie Mikesell said...

Hope you hear some good news on the job front! I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope Ocean's Daughter brought a smile :) Enjoy her! And I hope that you enjoyed your day off.

Post a Comment