Friday 7 September 2007

APEC


Asia Pacific Economic Corporation.  Or as the Chaser puts it, A Pointless Expensive Crock.

APEC is in town.  Its held in Sydney, the largest city in Australia, and the city I now work in.  The meeting starts officially today and goes all weekend, but visitors have been turning up all week.

This means that our Prime Minister and Dubya, and the Chinese head of state and every other leader in the asia pacific region is in town.  Which means that Australia is seeing the biggest security (read civil rights invasion force) that has ever been staged here.  Most of it because Dubya's here. {sigh}

At my Uni we are well away from the section of the city that has been cordoned off.  So my travel was not disrupted this week.  Getting to work early and leaving late meant that I missed most of the traffic congestion caused by motorcades coming in from the airport etc etc.

Also as the meeting officially starts today, anyone working in the metropolitan part of Sydney (including my Uni) got a free public holiday today.  Translation, stay the heck out of Sydney and get paid for doing so.  Fine by me!

Speaking of the Chaser - some of those boys got arrested yesterday. Full story here. And to full understand the Aussie opinion on it all, read the comments below the article!

I think it was a pretty good stunt they pulled.  Unfortunately as they weren't stopped at any of the regular checkpoints, they actually got to within 10 metres of the hotel where Dubya is staying before they revealed themselves (one dressed as Osama) before any of the security people cottoned on as to what was happening.  All the official sources are saying that the boys went too far with this stunt - but frankly what does it say about all of this security if they can get that far in and then had to draw attention to themselves to get noticed.

I think they mainly got arrested for flamboyantly exposing holes in the security.  I don't think even the Chaser guys expected the security to be so bad!  I think they just expected to get a few laughs out of chatting up the guys at the outermost checkpoint - but they just kept being allowed through and then the next one and then the next one until they were right outside Dubya's hotel .....

Sometimes I love working at a University.  All week all the commercial establishments such as cafes and restaurants and the student run activities have all been playing protest songs all day.  Everything from Pink's Please Mr President (which I have as the background on my main page) to Green Day's American Idiot to various Midnight Oil songs.

Only bad spot of the week was on my way out to one of these coffee shops a student ran full tilt into me, knocking me down and smashing my Ziltoid mug!  And the A-hole didn't even slow down, just kept running!

I'm more peeved over the loss of my mug - I love Ziltoid and bought that mug especially from the Devin Townsend site and got it shipped over from the States!  Grrrrrrr!

Other than that, I'm off to do some more present buying and then coffee with a friend and then P will probably be over this afternoon.  Hope I can find some time to get some stitching done :)

Today's pic is one Paul took after work a couple of months ago - this is how Trub and I usually stitch and in my usual stitching position.  Only difference is she's getting annoyed with the camera flash and looking over instead of curling her head inside and going back to sleep.  I remember that night because P left me there to stitch and unwind while he made dinner :)

8 comments:

Melissa Hicks said...

Woooh! That pic must have been taken over four months ago - that's Hector in the extreme left of the photo - and Hector's been buried under rubble in the backyard since the beginning of June!

Melissa Hicks said...

And another of the Chaser boys got arrested this afternoon. I've been listening to ABC radio all afternoon while stitching and there's a competition going on that the radio staff will have to put together next Wednesday's episode of the Chaser (TV arm of the same station) because all the Chaser staff will be in court.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/07/2027186.htm?section=justin

And the pure irony - ABC TV and Radio is our government funded station!

Hilary Syddall said...

LOL sounds like fun and games at the moment Gothy! Enjoy your extra stitching day!

Mariann Mäder said...

I especially loved the commentator who put Voldemort and The Shrub into the same sentence!!!!! I would certainly agree with all those people who mentioned that the security cannot have been what it was made up to be for the amount of $ it cost... I don't think I'd EVER want to see The Shrub anywhere close to Switzerland. Bloody awful nuisance this one is....

(BTW, I use the term 'The Shrub' as a synonym of Bush because in German we call a lowly hoodlum a 'Strauchdieb' - a robber from out of the bushes... an old term, granted, but one that hits this guy right in the middle between the eyes. And I'd like to see a nice, clean 9mm hole in there!)

Melissa Hicks said...

Oooooh love the put down there Mariann!! Yeah I'd love to see both Dubya and our own PM in the ground, but unfortunately they are just puppets and those that pull their strings would soon put another in their place.

I mean come on, how much respect can you have for people and systems where they have to cheat to get elected!

Can't wait to see what shenanigans they come up with to keep in power in the next elections! For Aussies that's probably before the end of the year.

Karen R said...

Our election next year is going to be nasty. I am not looking forward to it at all. And it's pretty sad when your decision is all about who is the lesser of two evils, because I just don't think anybody in politics today has any business making decisions. I'm backing away from the soapbox now, before I get a headache....

Melissa Hicks said...

For happier news - I'll go and post my Sunday update now :) For a sneak peek see .... http://gothtigger.multiply.com/photos/album/53/_Historic_Countries_Mystery_Sampler_by_Papillon_Creations

Claire EJ said...

Great picture...I keep meaning to tell you about T'ree.....she has lots of new shoots....sorry Hector is buried in the backyard debris :(

Trubs looks cute and I can tell she appreciates the q-snaps :) Glad to see you using them :)

Post a Comment