Saturday 1 January 2011

2010 - It's finally over!

The Ugly
  • Discovered I have a non-cancerous brain tumor.  I have called him George.
  • Also acquired a debilitating migraine. I call him Bruce, because he alternates as Bruce the mild-mannered headache and The Hulk Migraine that smashes everything in its way. He has been with me continually since the last week of March.

The Bad
  • When I moved into my little home here Stephen was supposed to couch surf for a few days. That extended into a couple of months.
  • Discovered Trubs has kidney disease as well as debilitating arthritis
  • Continuation of crap newbie supervisor who panicked every time I breathed.

The Good
Mostly this centres around reduction or abatement of the above.
  • Changed supervisor to an experienced person who has earned my respect and respects me and my work
  • Trubs health is being managed and we are back to talking hopefully years instead of weeks
  • Due to meds, stress reduction and long periods of time on my own, the migraine is more often Bruce and less often The Hulk

Hobbies?
In the stitching world, well that all came to a screaming halt due to stress and migraine. So very very little stitching got accomplished this year.  The good news is that I have started again and am halfway through Kay's RR and it should go off to Sisu within the week.  As well as mostly regaining my eyesight to stitch, I've also regained my enthusiasm for it so hopefully 2011 will be better.


2011?
  • I know that with my health and work situation in 2010 I did not keep up with my commitments, I whinged too much and I lost friends.
  • I hope to be a better person and a better friend to others in 2011.

12 comments:

Mariann Mäder said...

Only one word, sweetums:

HUGS, gentle, but firm!

I so know how that migraine stuff feels and hope you get it under control that it becomes much more infrequent! May Bruce and The Hulk get bored in your head and leave...

Julie Dollery said...

I can't actually comprehend that you lost "friends" because of illness (and related "whinging"). All of our lives have ups & downs & real friends (the ones you still talk to in 20 years time) get that. I might get occasionally frustrated with a friend or two that's "doing it tough", but that's because I'm a problem solver & my frustration is always to do with my complete lack of ability to help in a meaningful way. I'd never "ditch" a friend because life was treating them badly. .
Feel free to ring & "whinge" any time sweetie. Just say up front "I know you can't do anything but listen" & I'll take that as my cue that it's OK to just nod, say "mmHmm" & listen to you unburden yourself.

Hilary Syddall said...

If you lost friends because you illness whinged then they weren't true friends! I am just glad that the migraine is more Bruce (personally I would be even happier if it would just swan off and leave you alone!), lots of hugs and best wishes for the coming years.

Jodie Hill said...

2010 was a bad year for a lot of us. Hopefully now that you have a handle on the health things, things will improve. I hope you have a much better 2011, Trubs continues to feel good especially now that it's summer and she has some comfort from her arthritis.

kay jones said...

Not much to add to the above except that it does look as if the good is now outweighing the bad/ugly. Any friends you lost weren't true friends and you are probably better off without them.

Hopefully 2011 will see a further reduction in the migraines (can you take mine with it?:)) ; Trubs continues to live life to the full; work goes well and if possible can you also win the lottery.

Big hugs and very best wishes.

Claire EJ said...

This is when you find out who your real friends are. The ones who will stick with you through thick and thin.
I/we lost people we thought were genuine long-term friends. It proved interesting but sad too.

Kerry Dustin said...

What Claire said. It's in times of trouble you find out who your true friends are.

Mel, I'm so sorry this has happened to you, but I hope the ones who have stuck by you will continue to be true friends indeed.

I wish you all the best for 2011 and hope the good beats back the bad and ugly.

Melissa Hicks said...

I was feeling down the day I posted that list, so I may have overstated the lost friends issue. I know things tend to look worse when i'm feeling down. I was very much let-down by a good friend on New Years Eve and I noticed other friends hadn't responded to my Christmas messages so I probably perceived things more negatively than they are :)

Thanks everyone for the good wishes for 2011, I wish the same (good health for you and your loved ones) for every one of you.

Sisu Lull said...

Real friends will never leave you. They may be uncomfortable when you are down because they want to help, and haven't a clue how to. There are only so many times you can tell someone, "I am here for you" before you start to wonder if they even want to hear it. So you stand back, hope they can find some peace that you cannot provide for them, and pray that you and all their other friends will at least enter their minds and provide a spark of warmth in the depths of their own personal darkness. All the while, you wish you could do more, wave a magic wand, find that magic bullet, and feeling helpless when you can not.
That doesn't mean they have left you. It could simply mean they are waiting for you to find you ,so that you can find them again.

Julie Dollery said...

Well said.

Melissa Hicks said...

Yep - well said indeed Sisu. I have felt that helplessness and had no clue how to put that feeling into words. Thank you for doing that for me. I will refer back here and borrow your words as I try to help friends myself this year.

Melissa Hicks said...

Sisu - for all of your self-deprecation you truly have a way with words.

Post a Comment