Monday 4 February 2008

Mel's Monday Update

I don't really have a stitching update this week.

I'm still ploughing through my Gemstone Dragons RR (which should have been mailed out last Friday !!!)  but I am finally making progress on this one.  The gridding is done and that is what was causing sooo many headaches.

Oh I did start one new little stitch on the train last Friday afternoon. Pictures here.

In other news I received a gorgeous RAK from Ellen last week. Again thank you Ellen! Pictures here.

I also received a late Christmas card from Stephanie - talk about the mail system being really slow - this took over four weeks to arrive !!!!! And I also received the chart and threads I bought with the gift certificate Natalie gave me for Christmas. Such a lovely chart and it toook me sooo long to choose what to buy .... Pics here.

Also in stashing news I received five grab bags of R&R Reproductions fabric from Needle in a Haystack.  Unfortunately none of the pieces are labelled !!!!  Any thoughts on what the exact colour names of any of these fabrics might be?  Pics here.

And finally I received two pieces back from my framer.  It is the little black work dragons I stitched last December, Water Dragon and Fire Dragon.  As you can see the framing is quite simple but I hope effective ....  Pics here.

13 comments:

Claire EJ said...

Those two little dragons look lovely framed. I love how they sit as almost mirroe images to each other. I also like how the mountains echo each other too. Nice simple framing:)

Rosebuds will be in the mail to you this week. I'll be looking fwd to stitching on the Gemstone Dragons toward the end of this year:)

Hilary Syddall said...

The blackwork dragons look wonderful, congrats on the new start AND I can't wait to see the Gemstone Dragons stitched up! (I have the patterns in my rather large "want to stitch" pile!)

Karen R said...

Well, I'd call that a stitching update :) Stashing, framing, RAKs, new start - that's a great week! The dragons came out wonderful!! I hope you get stitching time this week!

Denise Hicks said...

These Dragons look really great with that black matte and Framing!!!!!!!!!

Donna Williams said...

Okay, kids, you have GOT to teach me how to change the backgrounds! I love this one!

Julie Nemitz said...

The finishes look great Mel, and the gifts are all wonderful. Glad you had such a good week.

Nancy Murdock said...

The framing is great. I think that is the hardest part, picking out what will compliment the stitching the most.

Melissa Hicks said...

Ah you see that's where Wonder Framer comes in !!!! I just take my stuff in, make a few comments and then let her do her stuff. With this one i just said that I wanted a simple frame and I wanted a lot of fabric left around the wings because well they're flying.

The rest is her inspiration.

Wait until you see what she's done with FireFlower !!!! She's been thinking over the piece and designing a frame and mat combo in her head since Christmas .... I gave her full carte blanche on that one. We'll see if my confidence in her abilities is misplaced when I pick it up in a fortnight or so ....

Melissa Hicks said...

This is just a straight premade theme. Someone else did *all* the work !!!

http://johndoe67.multiply.com/photos

Claire EJ said...

Something else to do while you're here:)

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

Those are adorable little dragons!

Julie Nemitz said...

LOL, I'm terrible at that Nancy. My dad usually picks out my frames and mats.

Paula Hubert said...

The framing is wonderful for those little draggies - lets them be the focus :). And lovely stash and RAKs as well! I really need to find a framer; I have a couple of pieces that I want to have professionally done.

If you run out of time while you're with Claire, Teegs, we can always attempt a walk through of changing a theme (at least one of these pre-done ones) over the phone. I think it would be easier face to face though!

Post a Comment