Sunday 16 December 2007

Another Aussie version of a Christmas Carol

Christmas in a Summer Wonderland

Cricket’s on, are you listening
On my brow, sweat is glistening
Crackin a beer, we’re glad to be here
Christmas in a summer wonderland

Come around, bring your cossies
And some spray for the mozzies
We’re havin a lark
in the caravan park
Living in a summer wonderland

In the afternoon we’ll have a barbie
Even in a total fire ban

Marinate the bangers with a stubbie
And give a glass of sherry to your nan

Later on, we'll perspire,
As the temperature gets higher
(Santa) looks out of sorts
He should be in shorts
Christmas in a summer wonderland
.

From:A Very Specky Winter Wonderland
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/spicksandspecks/txt/s2115440.htm

Shown on TV an hour ago :)


8 comments:

Karen R said...

That's pretty good! Okay, most of them I get, but what do you marinate your bangers with, a stubbie??

Melissa Hicks said...

a stubbie is a can of beer :)

cossies - swimming costume

mossies - mosquitoes

nan - grandmother

Kerry Dustin said...

Oh, that's fun. Talking of cricket, do you know "It's not cricket" by Eric Bogle. It's quite '80s centred for when it was written, but as that's when I was living in Melbourne and becoming a cricket fan, it works perfectly for me.

I was going to paste them in, but I can only find a .pdf that has them, so will have to give you the link instead.

http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/itsnotcricket.pdf

Melissa Hicks said...

Love it Kerry - but look at the last stanza on the second page and you'll see its been updated from the 80s - Heals and Tubby (aka Ian Healy and Mark Taylor) have only been commentating in the last few years.

Gotta admit the Channel 9 coverage gives me the pips too - so I watch the coverage with the sound turned down and listen to the ABC Radio commentary instead.

Kerry Dustin said...

I used to watch the cricket like that too - sound down with the radio on - but our cricket is now on satellite and there's a second or so delay between the two. It's like watching TV out of synch and I just can't do it, so I have to put up with the TV commentators.

He must have updated it indeed. My version on CD has earlier commentators. (I admit I didn't read the PDF, just shared it with you because I basically know the song.)

Melissa Hicks said...

I love the delay - it means that when the radio goes wild I know to look up and I wont miss all the action :) :) :)

Kerry Dustin said...

Fair enough. The delay drives me crazy.

Melia Suez said...

oh that is funny!

Post a Comment