Tuesday 20 January 2009

New sub cultures

Its amazing how much I don't notice.  {Speaking in first person because I don't if everyone is just as oblivious or if its just me}

I started to walk to work this morning and got about 15 mins in and decided "nope - too hot for me", so I cut sideways for a block and caught the next tram.

While sitting on the tram and waiting the interminable time for my ebook reader to start up I looked around at my fellow passenger.  There were 6 other passengers dressed like me in full work clothing with sneakers.  One guy was doing stretches.  All looked puffed out and red from the heat.

People who had done exactly as I had - started walking and thought "stuff this" and caught the tram.  Two stops on, one of the guys that had overtaken me in my walking jumped on the tram.

I wonder how many other people had done this before Christmas and I'd just never noticed as I had not been one of them ...

13 comments:

Karen R said...

Maybe there were enough people today to make it stand out...?

Melissa Hicks said...

Its midday and 39 degrees (99F).

Its hot in my office - I can't imagine what its like outside .....

Kerry Dustin said...

Yeah, I had the tennis on and they were showing the river and saying it was 38C. Sounds like a day more people who catch the tram. I agree that there might have been more people and that made it stand out.

Melissa Hicks said...

Yup - I'm 2 short tram rides away from the stadium. About a kilomtre - half mile. I'm not on the river - I'm surrounded by glass, comcrete and tar .... all lovely reflective surfaces :) :)

And I have my first gym visit tonight :(

Jim Westlake said...

Gym is good!
Enjoy.

Melissa Hicks said...

I've been told Jim is good - but I think it might be in both our best interests for me not to find out in person :) :) :)

Jim Westlake said...

Who's been blabbing?

Sisu Lull said...

I'll send you a bit of our cooler weather via CBDS (Cabana Boy Delivery Service). I have heard they are a bit unreliable, but nobody else is allowed to deliver weather. Something about a union. Anyway, it was -4F (-20C) when Nathan got on the bus this morning. Should cool you right down.

Melissa Hicks said...

That might be a tad too cold - but then if the Cabana Boy hangs around ..... oh drat Mr Bears is arriving 5am tomorrow morning - I'll be sprung!

Nah - Mr Bears is coming for a gaming convention - he wont notice a thing :) :) :)

Melissa Hicks said...

*whistles innocently* Doesn't Jen have a dog?

Trubs is plugged into the pet network and here's sooo many interesting things!

crabby man said...

Probably more so in Jim's case. I hear the Welsh Witch has a bit of a temper and does not like to share

Blog Terrorist said...

Jim might be good [if Jen is standing behind him with a large whip] but Gym is evil and should be banned... immediately if not sooner.

Melissa Hicks said...

Ooooh good thing there's a little bit of water between us :) :)

Post a Comment