Sunday 6 January 2008

Mel's Sunday update - an almost finish ....

Well its been awhile since I posted a Sunday update....

All of my 2007 finishes, including all of the pieces I gave as gifts are all now listed in my finished album.

I've updated and added to my Lust List.

I spent Christmas with my Dad and New Years with my mum and will be going back to work on Tuesday. 

Christmas was quite fun this year.  I received wonderful gifts and lots of cards and threads from my stitching buddies on the BAPXS list.  I received a new microwave from my Dad, a set of really good cutlery, ovenmits and socks from mum.  Jewellery and CDs from Paul. Oh and chocolate, chocolate, more chocolate and two books on chocolate (one from mum and one from my non-stitching friend Alison).

I've been working on a new piece since New Years Eve.  Spotted Butterfly by Szulet Designs.  It was a chart mum had in her stash, and I bought enough fabric (28ct Monaco "Sky" by Dreams with Angels) for both of us to stitch this one up.  When I was at mum's I pulled out her chart, checked I had bought enough fabric for two, cut it in half and then promptly nicked the chart and some of her DMC threads and started to stitch it.

Wasn't planned - just happened.

I brought the chart home with me spent a half day scrabbling around my local Spotlight and Lincrafts stores for a spool of Kreinik #4 Very Fine Braid in 001 Silver.  Finally found one spool in dubious circumstances in Lincrafts.

The plastic casing had been opened and it looked like the thread had been unwound ... possibly some removed ?????  Anyway it was the *only* spool available so I took it to the front counter and explained the circumstances.  No reaction from the staff and no discount on the cost of the spool. I took it anyway as I wanted to finish this item before I went back to work on Tuesday.

I finished all of the cross stitching while watching the cricket yesterday and then ran out of Silver braid (used for the back-stitching) this afternoon.  So no finish yet for me.

It feels silly ordering one single spool of metallic from Karen@Dragonflydreams so I will put this one away now and get the thread delivered with my monthly fabric of the month club in February.

Tomorrow its onto  Gemstone Dragons from Dragon Dreams.  This is needed for an RR to go out so its the first priority.  Then if I have any time left in the week - I might work on my The One.

Especially as I haven't worked on it at all since last July when we started this SAL.

.... or I might have to start Peridot from FireWing Designs. This was a birthday present from Laura that thanks to the vagaries of International Mail arrived a couple of days ago ( 5 months late).

I'll see after I work on my RR ......  time to go and get some dinner now and then relax for the evening.  Tomorrow will spent washing cleaning ironing and doing everything else needed to facilitate an easy return to work the next day.

14 comments:

Denise Hicks said...

Hopefully you will get some time to work on THOM also during the next few weeks. It looks like you will be very busy what with going back to work and all.

Melissa Hicks said...

Hmmm how about I don't go back to work - that way I can get some more stitching time in .....

... what do you mean the bills wont go away ......

OH - OK I'm off to work on Tuesday. Dagnabit! Anyone know any rich single men who would worship the ground I walked on and would willingly set me up for life, financially?

Claire EJ said...

nope, no rich single men, sorry....would help if I could.
Been stitching on Rosebuds and on my own RR for the next round too. Decided to ignore the eye thing and just get on with it. Rosebuds looks fab and I have to post a picture next time I'm on here with the camera and the Travelling RR had a good start yesterday.

Natalie Mikesell said...

How frustrating to run out of Silver thread! It looks great and can't wait to see a finish in February. Also, can't wait to see what you end up working on next :)

Julie Nemitz said...

It looks beautiful so far Mel. Was it an easy stitch?

Karen R said...

So, do you think the spool really was short? That stinks that they wouldn't accommodate you, but hey, you had to have it, so I guess for a few pennies, it all works out. It does look gorgeous - such pretty colors! Which gemstone are you going to do? I have all of them, from back when they were freebies - those, and the virtues, also. Just haven't ever done any yet, though want to do one each of the gemstones for us. Hopefully your first few days back will be quiet - mine mostly were, and tomorrow, I am a group of one, as my boss and the girl I work with are both out. I hope it's apparent to everyone besides me that I am always there....

kay jones said...

What a shame. Just checked my stash but I don't have any or I would have sent it with the mag on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing updates of the other projects.

Melissa Hicks said...

The onyx dragon with the year on it. I'm doing this one up as a 6-person RR so I'm doing the Onyx dragon with 2008 in the middle of the fabric and then each of the girls will stitch a dragon of their choice around him.

Turns out I'm missing two of the Kreinik #4 braids I need for the Onyx dragon too - so I ended up ordering all four spools (including the silver for Spotted Butterfly) from Karen@dragonflydreams anyway!

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks so much for just sending the mag! And I know, you only want to see progress on The Castle :) :) :)

Paula Hubert said...

I was going to offer to send you a spool of the silver, as I know that I have three and it's pretty easy for me to find, but I see that there's no need! I really like that spotted butterfly!

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Paula !!!!

Melissa Hicks said...

Relatively easy - I had to check and double check the placement of each bit because it is a spot motif - but once I had the placement right each motif stitched up pretty easily. And I love working on the Monaco fabric!

Melissa Hicks said...

Arrived in the mail this afternoon - talk about fast service! I'm tired after my first day back at weork and back commuting so I might ignore all other designs and just relax and do some backstitching on this - if I have any time between now and bedtime.

kay jones said...

Where am I missing this RR? I want to do some

Post a Comment