Friday 19 December 2008

Living in a city

Up until now I have actively resisted living in a large city (well when Sydney is your only reference point - why wouldn't you).

In the last few months I have come to appreciate, with almost childlike glee some of the benefits of inner-city living.

I mean yes there's the "I can get to work in less than 15 minutes" but I'm talking the real fun stuff.

Walking home from work eating a home made gelati from a hole in the wall shop on the way.

Just walking up Lygon Street past all the outdoor cafes watching decor change and nodding with the waiters.

Being able to walked a few blocks closer into town and watch international bike riders do circuits of the Lygon City precinct one weekend.

Feeling the ambiance of walking through a crowd of people on a Thurday and Friday night, the crowd being relaxed and simply looking forward to a night of good food and good company.

Tonight while I was on the phone to a friend I heard Christmas Carols bring played by a brass band.  It was a couple of minutes after 7pm so I thought I had messed up at 2am this morning and set my alarm for 7pm instead of 7am.  No the music was coming from outside.

The Salvation Army was walking around the local streets busking.  Whenever they got a crowd they stopped and played a carol or two and then moved on.

At one point they stopped right at the end of my street.  I couldn't get to them without losing phone coverage :)  so I stood in my yard and watched them and both my friend on the other end of the phone and I listened to them.

I now feel more mellow and full of Christmas spirit than I have in years.

And I have had neither a drop to drink nor any companionship other than the cat.  

I love living here.






9 comments:

Nancy Murdock said...

Sounds very nice! Especially the way you have described it.

Karen R said...

Well, good for you!!! I think the planets might finally be aligning in your favor :)

Melissa Hicks said...

Just need the financial planets lining up to and all will be good with the world ....

Well I could ask for world peace, more time to stitch, a self cleaning house and Mr Bears being on the same side of the country - but sometimes you take what you can get :)

Claire EJ said...

Fantastic.
Melbourne has always been well rated by my friends who live close by.
I expected you to love it and am so happy you do.

Twana Bentley said...

It's good to hear/read that.

Julie Balla said...

I am so pleased that things are working out for you, and you are enjoying your new life. I hope everything else you want starts coming your way soon too.

Anita B said...

It's great to hear you so settled, and that you are enjoying your new home town.

Paula Hubert said...

I'm so glad that you're enjoying the city - it definitely sounds like a much better place to be!

And it may take the financial planets a bit longer to align, but I think they'll get there!

Melissa Hicks said...

I've always joked that I could never get work, home and money to all line up. Well one is a good start :)

Post a Comment