Wednesday 7 February 2007

Fabrics and Internet




Received the last 2 missing FOTM packages in the mail on Monday, Powder Blue is cute, but I really love Wandering Ivy - and now I have two types, the linen Natalie gave me and now the opalescent lugana !!!!!

My next door neighbour (and owner) got broadband on the weekend. No worries no fuss. Needless to say I rang the company on Monday and demanded an explanation - they couldn't give me one. They tested my line yet again and still no go.

However they then realised that I had put in a second line, and they tested *that* one and apparently that one is fine! Apparently the second line is broadband compatible! Huh? Both lines are through the same physical cable come up to the house from the street ???????

Anyway skepticism notwithstanding, I'm not the sort to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I agreed to sign up for broadband yet again - I'll find out in a fortnight whether it actually is going to work. As I said, I'm hopeful but skeptical!

Finally Paul and I went to the local reptile park on Sunday afternoon. As well as the reptiles and spiders they had a great collection of Australian native birds mammals and flora. Took lots and lots of pics but will need to sort through them before trying to upload any. Due to their entertaining education officer, and the sheer variety of Australian fauna all in one place, I would recommend this place as a Must See for all overseas visitors. And not just because its only 20 minutes down the road from me :)

And finally my Dragski hates me ...... {sigh} .... I think he got jealous because I was enjoying working on Fire Flower last week. I sat down with the castle last night and the floss tangled, the pinhead stitches wouldn't stay, the needle wouldn;t glide properly! No frogging due to poor stitch placement, I put the stitches in the right place, but oh the thread !!!! I had to do every stitch two or three times because of the tangles and knots! and that was using two different threads straight off the skeins! From four different skeins !!!!

I'll try again tonight.





22 comments:

Hilary Syddall said...

I like the green one Mel! I am sorry you are still having problems getting broadband (seems they do not know what they are doing!) and I am really sorry that your Dragski is sulking!

Marc Davis said...

Isn't it just the "chits' when you do the pin stitch to start AND it tangles when you try the second part of it? AND then the whole thing comes out...OR sometimes so tangled nothing comes out of the fab until the "snippers' do their duty AND for such a tiney hiney piece of thread....??????

Melissa Hicks said...

Yes Marc - exactly {LOL} That's *exactly* how I was feeling!

and then once I'd wrestled that into submission, the floss tangled into a knot with every leg of every stitch! It was soooo frustrating!

In some ways it fells better knowing someone completely understands :)

And thanks Hilary - having someone who understands and agrees my dragski is sulking :)

Melissa Hicks said...

Yes Marc - exactly {LOL} That's *exactly* how I was feeling!

and then once I'd wrestled that into submission, the floss tangled into a knot with every leg of every stitch! It was soooo frustrating!

In some ways it fells better knowing someone completely understands :)

And thanks Hilary - having someone who understands and agrees my dragski is sulking :)

Claire EJ said...

I knew it....I just knew it didn't really want to be called George.....that's why it's all going wrong. You need to find its true name and pronto to stop it sulking.
I'm sorry to say that I had the most productive 3 1/2 hrs stitching on mine last night that I have ever had. I got so much done!!

Hilary Syddall said...

well done! I still haven't managed to zig the edges for Kryisseaen yet (bother!) as I cannot feel my right foot (which makes using the pedal of the sewing machine tricky LOL) - but hopefully Mark will help me out over the next night or two and I will start her next week (I can hear the pattern whimpering!)

Paula Hubert said...

Great job, Claire! And Mel, I think Custard was commiserating last night. Did some backstitching on the rocks I'd already had stitched (cold meds and trying to concentrate weren't a good combo!), and the thread just jumped into knot after knot.. even pulled a length from a different skein of the same color and had the same experience! {pout}

Edited to add - I love the Wandering Ivy, too - so glad you've gotten all your packages now!

Mariann Mäder said...

Ooooh, they're both lovely! But powder blue would be EXACTLY what I have in mind for St. Petersburg White Nights!!! Where do you have your FOTM? I'll have to look at it.....

Melissa Hicks said...

Mariann my FOTM is with Silkweabver - unfortunately I don;t think my piece is big enough for White Nights :) Link is here: www.silkweaver.com

I don;t see this particular colour in their catalog so you might want to email them direct, especially considering the size if the piece you will want.

Melissa Hicks said...

I hate you !!! {smooches} Well done on the progress :)

Melissa Hicks said...

Hilary, yes I can see how that would be a handicap {{{{{{HILARY}}}}}}}}

Sending you more get well vibes - obviously the last lot got lost somewhere !!!!

Hilary Syddall said...

Thanks Mel - I hope to get it sorted this weekend (one way or another!), I will also dig out all the floss I need and be ready for next week (playing catch up!)

Melissa Hicks said...

Awwwww - thanks Custard. That was a wonderful show of solidarity! However both dragons must now behave themselves and be good, or my dragski will be put away and not pulled out again for months !!!!!!

Claire EJ said...

Yeah, yeah, I love you too.

Today's progress has been huge too. Really had a horrible day apart from the stitching which has been extreme!!!

Karen R said...

I've added Wandering Ivy to my wish list - think I asked for 36ct linen... I actually cut and pasted all of the colors that I have on my list onto one document - all greens and purples. I gotta add some variety, but nothing else jumps out at me!

One of those DMC variations that I made the monogram boxes with in December did nothing but knot and twist. Don't know if it was the thread, or maybe the weather - humidity change; it wreaks havok on my hair, so why not on thread? Don't know. I was glad to get that one done, though.

Paula Hubert said...

Silly and sudden thought (does that mean I'm getting used to the fog from the cold meds I'm taking??). But anyway.. is your sewing machine set up so that you can move the foot-pedal thingee onto the table and work it with your hand? It still would be awkward, but might allow you to get your edges done...

Hilary Syddall said...

urk to the cold meds!

I probably could - but I still reckon my best bet is to get Mark to do it! The other possibility is that a friend would come over and help me out.

Paula Hubert said...

I like the second two options as well... and if I didn't have to buy airfare to get there, I'd offer to stop in and do the edges for you!

Hilary Syddall said...

LOL thanks Paula but as you said it is a little inconvenient!

Melissa Hicks said...

You might have something there Karen - the two nights I was having lots and lots of hassles were the two nights of storms - so lots of humidity and electricity in the air ... Dragski behaved himself yesterday when the weather was better ......

Mariann Mäder said...

Thanks, Mel!

I'll do that. They're usually quite helpful. I've also seen two colours on PTP that would fit my bill. Mercedes and Zephyr. All in the light blue range :-) Too many choices.

I think I'll have to take a full yard, YIKES!

Claire EJ said...

Zephyr is what my St.Sylvestre was stitched on. It is a gawjus fabric.

Post a Comment