Friday 23 February 2007

Round Robin Border Questions


Morning all, Back in 2004 I joined a just beginning RR for an email group that I am no longer subscribed to.

The RR was 12 people and supposed to last 12 months. I learned new techniques and ways of stitching - and I met The Dragon (Hilary) for the first time through that RR.

I also finally had my project returned to me 24 months later with only 8 people having stitched on it! I was one of the lucky ones! Some didn't get returned at all! Some came back with only three or four being stitched on them. It turned me off RRs for quite a while.

However two good friends here have offered to stitch two of the three remaining motifs for me, so I pulled this item out and having had the week off with a migraine, decided I'd play with the border of the piece during my more lucid moments.

I first unpicked the border that was there, then washed and ironed the piece and then started stitching in a new border. Close up can be seen here.

I used two limited edition Carrie's threads that Tracy sent me for Christmas last year. I created the border design myself, chose the colours etc etc all by myself. My first attempt at designing anything. It is a very very simple stitch, but I would like some feedback please. Honest feedback! What do you think of the design I chose? Are the colours complementary to the motifs already stitched? Are the chain links long enough ???

I'm still thinking about the inner dividers for the motifs. Not sure whether to just put the outer border and leave the inner stuff blank, or whether to use a thinner chain - only 3 stitches wide instead of 5 - for the inner border. I have enough of this thread left to do all of the inner border panels. I also have a red and a brown in similar toning in the same limited edition set that I could use instead for the inner border ..... questions questions ....

Any creative constructive criticism is eagerly sought! I'd love some pointers from you guys on how to improve this for next time ....








9 comments:

Hilary Syddall said...

It looks simplistic but effective Mel - and I would stick with the same width all the way through I think otherwise it could look odd.

So when do I get this one back again then? LOL

Melissa Hicks said...

When do you want it?

I'm spending a fair time at the post office next Friday sending out the other RR to Laura and posting off Birthday cards for the March babies .....

I thought the blue/purple combo was less harsh than the black - and I thought the chain stitch was less intrusive on the motifs - which *are* the focus.

Was I right in these assumptions? Seriously looking for criticism here - a "well this would make it look much better ....." is more than welcome :)

Hilary Syddall said...

I think the new border works well - I think the simplistic line suits the fact that you have a varied selection of stitching there!

As to when - send it out whenever (is Claire also prepared to work on this - if she is then I could send it on to her when I send the UFO RR on - if I have worked on it by then!)

Melissa Hicks said...

Well you and Claire are the *last* two to work on the other RR !!!! So I could conceivably leave this until 7th June and send it to you then if you prefer ......

Hilary Syddall said...

Up to you Gothy - I will confess the thought of working on something fantasy would be good! I am wondering if that is why I am so dragged down with what I am stitching at the moment?

Paula Hubert said...

I do like the new border. Still fighting a headache myself with two nights of poor sleep on top of it, so the creativity to think of the inside border without having seen it deosn't exist right now. I'm not sure I'd change colors, though, that much I *do* know!

Tracy H said...

I like the new border, and it isn't so bold that it detracts from the motifs. Let me know if you need more thread - I have a bit more of each of the colors I sent. I'm glad you have gotten the piece back and sounds like a good plan to get it finished.

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks all - and thanks Tracy for the offer of thread - I think I have enough - but its nice to know that there's still some somewhere *just in case* ....

Oh BTW - I haven't received anything via international mail from you yet - just letting you know. Even with this week's migraine, I still got to the Post Office on Friday .....

Denise Hicks said...

Your chain link effect looks better then the old one

Post a Comment