Monday 17 March 2008

Moving

Response to "contacts only" on Hilary's comment: What's this????? Have you made the decision to up sticks and go to Melbourne then?

No {LOL}  I've decided to pick up sticks and move into Sydney!  If I add up the rent I'm paying now, petrol and other travel costs combined together I could probably rent a small unit within walking distance to work.  Money wise I wont be making any great savings, but I'll get my weekday life back :)

Basically I'm tired of having a communal driveway.  I'm tired of taxis refusing to come up the driveway to the house.  I'm tired of not being able to do anything during the week. I'm tired of having to take a whole day off work to arrange a plumber or the electrician.

The final straw was a letter I just received from the Real Estate agency.  The Landlady is increasing the rent here again. That's twice in the last six months.  And yet she *still* hasn't fixed the storm damage from last June !!!!

In fact she's not intending to - she plans to put a fence around the rubble where it sits and call it a feature!

So yeah, I've been getting disillusioned about the commute for quite some time and this latest rent increase is the last straw.

Of course having said that, I still have to find a place that will accept Trubs ..... and Sydney is a very tight rental market right now - very few places and very high rent.  I'm just hoping I have a few things working in my favour.

16 comments:

Mariann Mäder said...

Good luck, honey! That's going to be a tough one to arrange quickly, but I'm sure you'll find something!

That landlady of yours doesn't seem to have all of her brain sorted out! Can't you try to hold back on paying the extra rental until she has that rubbish cleared away?

You'll miss the birds, I suppose, but having free time left in every working day is really important!

Karen R said...

Yeah, it sounds like more pros than cons, so I hope you find something wonderful with minimum hassle :)

Hilary Syddall said...

The extra time would be a real bonus, hopefully you will find a small place that will accept Trub with no problems - please keep us posted hun!

Melissa Hicks said...

Yes I will definitely miss the birds and the peace I feel in this house on weekends - but its just gotten to the stage where its just not enough.

And with blasted daylights saving still going on until next month I am sooo heartliy sick of not seeing the sun until I'm a few minutes away from work. And as mum pointed out last night, as soon as daylight savings finishes, I'll be in total darkness on both legs of the trip ...

And I do get Seasonal Depression if I don't get a good dose of Vitamin D.

Melissa Hicks said...

Thats what I'm hoping - and don't worry I will *definitely* keep you guys posted. Please have some warm thoughts and a few conversations with your preferred deities please :)

Oh and a prayer to Bast too - so we can find a place that will accept Trubs :) :)

Hilary Syddall said...

Deity being petitioned as we speak and oooh yes an additional prayer to Bast is a must!

Mariann Mäder said...

I know about THAT! Had it in my last job! Being in artificial light during the day and not having any daylight at all during the winter months was awful!

Natalie Mikesell said...

Good luck!! I hope you find something great :)

Shawn Medrano said...

Good luck with everything Mel!!!

Nancy Murdock said...

I often wondered how you did the long commute, but it's not in my nature to question "why"? I certainly hope that you find something to accommodate you and Trubs. I will miss your bird feedings, but I can live with that. You already gave me something I had never seen before!!

Kerry Dustin said...

I wish you all the best with this. It does sound like a good idea as all that long travelling must be exhausting. And I know what you mean about the extended daylight savings time. I'm ready to switch over now. Hope you find something that will suit you and Trubs quickly.

Trish Froggatt said...

Happy hunting then Mel! Hopefully you'll find something suitable. I know the commuting will be a huge improvement. I used to commute about 1 1/2 hours each way to work when I lived in Montreal. Now I have a 5 minute walk. Finish at 4 - home at 4:05. Doesn't get any better than that! Keep us posted. Cheers,

Sisu Lull said...

I hope you find a jewel in your search Mel. I am sure you will miss your wildlife, but with the extra time you have, I am sure you can find a park or somewhere in Sydney to go bird watching. DH commutes a total of 210 miles each day. He has very little home time. His workplace is accepting appliocations and I turned one in. If I get hired in, we will have to move.

Paula Hubert said...

Sending lots of good vibes out your way - for both you and Trubs! I hope you're able to find something perfect relatively quickly! For now, this really sounds like the best choice for you, all things considered.

I've got a long commute, too, although there are many days I wish I had public transport. (And many days I'm glad to be by myself!) It really takes a lot out of you, which has been part of recent conversations with J. He's finally seeing what I mean with his trip to the college being about the same length as my daily commute.

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

Good luck in your hunt - wish I could be there to help

Tracy H said...

We'll miss the tales of the commuting stitcher, but it sure sounds like a better deal all around. I hope you stumble across the perfect place

Post a Comment