Saturday 29 March 2008

The Melbourne Trip - Part 3

EASTER MONDAY

The last day of the Con and Stephen had agreed to help run an 8am session ... the alarm went off at 6am.  Do you know I'd forgotten how much fun it was to kick someone ELSE out of bed when the alarm goes off !!!  To be able to stretch and lie-in and listen tot he sounds of someone else showering .....

After my shower we headed out and stopped at MacDonald's for breakfast on the way.  Again Stephen laughed at watching my stomach battle my ethics.  My stomach of course won.

When we got there I was nabbed by a group and asked if I wanted to join them.  The group was some of the friends I met during the weekend and they specifically wanted *me* to join this game !!!  Well I was flattered into it - what can I say.  This one was called "A pointless Fairy Tale' and it was more a tabletop game.  Again I was typecast !!!!  I was the red-headed fiery kitchen hand" with my cleaver and needing to revenge my parent who were killed by the Bandit Queen !!!!

I gained kudos for my description of the ultimate lamb pie and we were the only group to complete one of the tasks because I distracted the fairies with a cookie I had baked ..... I described the cookie too :) :)  Random's housemate (the one in the boxer shorts) was also in this game as The Penniless and disguised Prince.  We also had an Ugly Carpenter, a Peasant Girl (played with great gusto by a 20 something year old boy - he could simper and skip better than I could !!!!) and a One-eyed Sheep Farmer !!!!

Lots of fun and merriment!

I returned to the hall to find that Random's game hadn't run after all so they were all just sitting around and chatting.  I joined in and I noticed my blood plums were on the table, so I nabbed one.  Many ribald comments ensued about the ripeness of my plums!  Adam, the guy who played my husband on Saturday night's game swooped in and snaffled a plum saying "I have indeed sampled her plums previously and I can recommend them - they are indeed superb".  So yeah more comments and an easy camaraderie.

As Stephen and I had discussed,b y coming in with him, I had gained easy entry into his group of friends.  Keeping or establishing my own place amongst them as an individual was up to me and my actions.  I think by the end of the weekend I was definitely accepted.  I exchanged emails with a few too.  So new friends are always good :)

I was chatting with a guy called Chris - very very good looking guy who can cook!  We were trading recipes earlier in the weekend.  He was feeling morose and saying that found it hard to attract women ..... (the look of utter incredulity of my face was unnoticed by him).  He went on to talk about crazy ex-partners and everyone else at the table agreed.  I didn't.  He informed me I was soooo lucky not to have a crazy ex in my background.  We then agreed that there's nothing so nasty in the world that a good steak/stake couldn't fix!

Around lunch time Stephen and I headed out and did some more mundane arrangements and packing of his stuff for the move.  Mid afternoon I received a phone call from Paul.  I moved away and took the call and it quickly turned very very nasty !!!

Paul was on a huge jealousy kick - what do you see in this guy? Is he bigger than me? Is he better in bed than me? 

Ummmm Paul you split up with me at Christmas time - this is not an appropriate conversation for us to be having.

The questions got even more nasty and pointed out that was I aware I been bought like a whore for the weekend.  I pointed out that this line of questioning was unhealthy and I would not answer such questions, nor had he any right to ask them. 

He got nastier again (which I wont write here) and I hung up on him.  I then turned my phone off and walked back to where Stephen was.  He said "oh love" in a very compassionate voice and held me until I stopped trembling.  He then took me to the nearest Hogs Breath restaurant and fed me steak :) :)  We decided it was all Chris's fault for discussing crazy ex-partners :)

We went back tot he apartment for a while so I could have some time out, changed and went out to the after Con party that night.

Had sooo much fun with these people that over the course of the weekend I could now call friends :)  Some were mere acquaintances, but most I could remember the names of and smile and nod in passing, I could join in many of the conversations.  I was no longer an outsider or "Stephen's friend".  It was really good.

The evening was marred a little by some drunken louts.  The Con goers always apparently book out the beer garden (outdoor area) of one of the local pubs or their party.  This time the garden was invaded by a bunch of drunken louts and their ladette girlfriends!  They were already too drunk to stand a lot of them and yet the bar (contrary to Australian liquor laws) kept serving them.  We moved the tables and chairs creating an obstacle course between them and us.  You could see them walk into the men's with full glasses of beer and spirits and the sound of smashing glass and they would come out again without the drink and with their fly's undone.  We just huddled in our own corner and attempted to ignore them or treat them like a new variety of bovines ....

Many stories and discussions were had that evening and at least a half dozen of my new friends urged ,e to agree to go to the next Con - which is in Canberra in June.  They then used this to try and convince Stephen to come across the country for it too :) :)

One of the stories I was told was from the Trivia Night on Saturday night (we were playing the Steam Punk free form).  The last round which was worth double points was called "Muggle Studies" and had questions such as: Who won last year's Survivor?  Who were the two boys ejected from the Big Brother House?  Name the finalists in "So you think you can dance ???

Like true geeks and nerds and friends of mine everywhere -t his was the lowest scoring round of the entire evening  !!!!

There was also a very very interesting conversatyion on having gaming-friendly partners. Gaming is these people's hobby.  They spend time writing the free forms, or creating characters or creating costumes, and most of the Con are on Public Holiday long weekends.  They discussed friends and people they knew that had partners that were barely gaming-tolerant or were worse, actively anti-gaming.  One guy was booked in and paid for the Con but 2 days before the event his wife decided that they needed to visit her parents for all of Easter (in another State).  It reminded me of the SCA where I saw similar conflicts.  And I guess even with stitching, where you hear of people who hide their latest purchases from their partners or lie about how much stash they have.

Very very sad case to be in.  But then the conversation turned happier as they then discussed absent friends who has gaming friendly partners.  One woman's husband really didn't see what or why she gamed, but he was prepared to accept it and what went with it and he knew enough of the lingo and always packed her off to the cons with all of her equipment and a packed lunch every day :) :)

The evening ended early when the skies opened up and the rain bucketed down !!!!!  And of course the drunks were in the part of the garden under shelter - and *we* were out in the rain !!!!  Oh well :) :)  Took nearly half an hour for all the farewells ot be said, and the hugs exchanged and the "what are you running in June?"  "when are you running the sequel to this game"?

When we got back to the hotel Stephen made me a cup of tea and asked if I would like a male opinion on my afternoon phone call.  I really didn't want to discuss it, but I did.  And Stephen gave insightful comments.  He didn't just give me tea and sympathy, nor did he rant and rage and threaten bodily harm!  Instead he asked thought-provoking questions and helped me sort out in my own mind just what the heck was going on!!!!!!  He was sweet.  We talked long into the night yet again ......

Until we actually noticed that one edge of the bed was damp and there was a one metre wide damp stain on the floor.  The roof had leaked during the rain storm earlier in the evening.  So we rang the manager and left a message, moved the bed and snuggled away from the wet spot.

TUESDAY

Again late to rise and a gorgeously long luxurious brunch.

I adore brunch - its definitely the most civilised meal of the day !!!!  The Con was over and this was our last day in Melbourne so we went shopping :)  I bought a couple of gifts for Alison who was looking after Trubby for me .... he enjoyed showing me new shops and just wandering in to whatever shop took our fancy ..... we both shopped at will and that's when he sneakily bought the little Tigger for me !!!  It was a very very relaxing day.

We even discussed the fact that we were getting on soo well and neither of us had felt the need to run away or manufacture an excuse for "me time".. Also we discussed the fact that neither of us would have to manufacture an excuse except to say "honey I need some me time".  It just felt sooo right and soooo goood.

That night he took me to his favourite restaurant on Lygon street - a very old-fashioned steak and pizza place.  My mouth was watering with all of the hand made pizzas being made - large and generous with the toppings and the smells were heavenly !!!!!!  Mind you my Veal Scallopine al Fungi (I think that's how it was spelled) just melted in my mouth when it arrived.  Truly a wonderful place to eat !!!! And not that expensive.  The entire meal including drinks was under $50.

Back to the apartment and we packed and then settled in for an early night ..... and then talked until late in the evening.


WEDNESDAY:

Al;arm went off at 4:30am.  I grumbled,  It was my turn to get kicked out of bed.  So we up showered drank a cup of tea, packed the car and I was delivered to the airport.  I was sad.  I pouted.  I He tickled me until I laughed.  He said he had to or we would both cry.

I got onto the plane and he drove out to his old house. I got into work around 9:30am in Sydney and he finished packing his car and left Melbourne around 12:30pm.

While he still had regular mobile coverage he txted or rang me every time he stopped for fuel or rest. I haven't heard since he left Port Augusta 10pm Thursday night.  43 hours ago.

I've had a very busy time at work and finished and presented my presentation - did well apparently.

Received a call from a pay phone last night at around 10pm and, thinking it was Stephen I answered it.  It was Paul.  I found a nasty email waiting for me when I got into work Wednesday and I had blocked his numbers on my phone since.

He used the payphone instead.  He has known me for nearly five years now.  He knows how to press my buttons, he knows exactly what to say, to tell me what I want to hear.  I just can't believe him and I hate being emotionally blackmailed.  He knows how to get to me and make me confused.

I cried all last night and I was still very confused this morning.  I went food shopping on autopilot.  I felt nothing.  I was numb.  Mum rang me, in a panic.  Its sometimes unfair having a psychic mother !!!  I talked it all out with mum and she helped me sort it all out in my head.  To see behind the lies, to see behind the platitudes ....

I'm still not fully OK - but I'm better and I needed to write all of this out while it was fresh in my head.  I wanted the walk down memory lane - to remember how good it felt and to act as a reminder in future.

Spose I'd better go and get some stitching done :)

28 comments:

Melissa Hicks said...

And just checked my email after sending the above post to find an email posted 30 mins earlier entitled: I'm alive.

I've been out of phone coverage and still am. I'm n a crappy net kiosk in Norseman..
700km to go - hopefully home late tonight. Will call you as soon as I can.
Stephen

Claire EJ said...

You should be stitching by now so when you read this, remember the P you stitched for the moron...well, P is for Prat!

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Claire - love you - you always know the right thing to say !!!!!

Kerry Dustin said...

Mel, I'm so sorry to hear about Paul's ass-ish behaviour but it sounds like otherwise you had a fantastic time. I'm so glad about that and Stephen really does sound like a sweetie.

Please, tell me what his favourite restaurant on Lygon St is. I lived around the corner from Lygon St for about a year, so while a lot will have changed, I might know it.

If you saw an old fashioned movie theatre on Elgin St just a block down from Lygon St, I used to live in a terraced house on Cardigan St that backed onto that. It meant we got woken up by the screaming when they showed late night sessions of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre!!

So glad you had a wonderful weekend.

Melissa Hicks said...

Kerry,

You would know the place its called Papa Gino's and has been there for over 25 years !!!

We walked down Elgin *and* Cardigan streets so I probably walked straight past your old house !!!!!!

Kerry Dustin said...

On Cardigan St there are four terraced houses on the corner of Elgin and Cardigan closest to Lygon St and the hospital. We lived in one of those.

Yes, Papa Gino's definitely sounds familiar.

It was lovely to read about you having a great time in my old haunts.

Melissa Hicks said...

Here you go Kerry: http://www.papaginos.com.au/

Also there are links spread out throughout the narrative on all three parts for the places we went :)

Kerry Dustin said...

I couldn't find any links. Maybe they're not showing up for me?

Kerry Dustin said...

Oooh, I've been looking at Papa Gino's menu. I miss Capricciosa pizza. Oh, I loved that and you just don't get pizza like it here. Not the real thing at all. Now I'm all hungry and my mouth is watering. Mel, I totally blame you for this.

Melissa Hicks said...

I swore blind that I was going to make myself real pizza when I got home - I forgot until now and its too late to worry about it for tonight - tomorrow night perhaps :) :)

Mariann Mäder said...

Loved reading about your adventures, Mel! Now please enlighten this old totally unknowing lady what GM's are and what exactly this Con was?

I love to make pizza, but I'm pretty sure you can't do the regular thing - as that's done with flour... it's easy and quick, too. When I had my nephew living with me I sometimes asked what he wanted me to cook and two out of three times he wanted self-made pizza. Used to prepare the dough, lay it out and we just each put our favourite ingredients on the dough. I miss that, it was always fun.

Melissa Hicks said...

Hey Mariann - I have a gluten-free pastry mix that I buy. I just add water and yeast and turn it into a dough, lay it out and add my favourite toppings :) :)

So its just the flour combo that is different :) :)

A Con is short for Convention - a time and place where people get together to play their games. As the website says:

Freeforms often focus on the social or political interaction of the characters rather than on a plot-line predetermined by the tournament writer. Characters have multiple story threads (often secret) connecting them to other characters. The plot is developed through interactions between characters, with the GMs providing a frame of reference, keeping the intrigues on the boil and sometimes providing simple game mechanics.

So basically GMs (Game Masters) are the designers and referees of each game.

Each game is where each player is given a character sheet, and a background. Then in character, you interact with the other characters to solve the puzzle or find the murderer etc etc etc.

Does that help?

This link: http://www.conquest.asn.au/2008/freeform.html

provides the premises for each of the games that were at the Easter Convention I attended in Melbourne. Don't Mention the War sounds fabulous and one I wish I had entered.

kay jones said...

Sounds as tho it was a wonderful trip and just what you needed. Sorry to hear about the "interruptions" but hopefully those near to you have helped put that as.....le in perspective by now and with a bit of luck etc. he will take the message and pass into oblivion. Seems you had some wonderful meals and the sound of Mango Chuilli Choc. sends shivers down the spine. Lovely to see you back.

Melissa Hicks said...

They were too subtle - I've gone back and highlighted them all - obviously there are more in Parts 1 and 2 of the story :)

Denise Hicks said...

Lovely Easter break Mel, glad that it turned out so well. Sounds like you had a lovely time making new friends and catching up with some old ones as well.

Kerry Dustin said...

Thanks very much. I see them now. While reread when Marcus has gone to bed tonight as I doubt I'll get enough quiet time between now and then.

Mariann Mäder said...

Yes, that helped a lot. I knew what you meant by free form, just the abbreviations puzzled me :-)

I think I could like that a lot! I'm sure you got plenty of laughter in over that weekend. Not sure if I'd be quick witted enough though, but I'd like to watch :-)

Karen R said...

Besides the rude interruptions, it sounds like the very best way to spend a holiday!!! If I was closer, I'd have to come over there and take P's phone and stick it somewhere appropriate :) He needs a hobby, preferably one where he could accidentally glue himself to stuff.

Melissa Hicks said...

{LOL} Love it !!!!!!!


Paul rang again yesterday afternoon and I was very firm and made it very clear that I wanted nothing more to do with him. Based on his recent actions he has ruined whatever friendship we had and our friendship is terminated. Do not call me, write me visit me or in any other way attempt to contact me or I will obtain official assistance to stop you.

I was clear I was firm I didn't shout or cry.

I hated doing it but I felt I had no choice. There's no way I'm every going to let a person get me that confused and depressed via emotional blackmail as he did on Friday night.

Those are not the actions of a friend.

Mariann Mäder said...

And that's besides the fact that you already went through that once before!

Glad you were able to stay firm on it, Mel.

Melissa Hicks said...

Yup !!! Thanks sooo much Mariann !!! I'm happy I could do it too - I can move past it now ....

Melissa Hicks said...

What is wrong with me ???

Paul turned up at my house tonight. Crying. Saying he loved me more than he'd ever loved anyone. I was tearing him apart. He was sorry he hurt me. He was sorry he couldn't be what I wanted. He could make things better he was already making changes. He couldn't live without me.

In the movies this is where the music swells, the heroine takes him back and they all love happily ever after.

Real life is much more scary and much more hard nosed and I eventually kicked him out. I *think* he got the message this time.

I still feel like a shit for doing it .......

kay jones said...

No you weren't a shit you were doing exactly the right thing. You dont want him, its over, and the sooner he realises it and moves on himself the better. DO NOT under any circumstances weaken your resolve. Hugs coming your way as I know how you feel (been there done that more times than I care to remember)

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Kay :) I was thinking about it more this morning and the reason it wasn't like it was in the movies is because I don't believe there will be a happily ever after, especially if I weaken my resolve. He needs to learn that his actions have consequences and these are consequences that he has to live with.

Its a very unpleasant lesson that we all had learn. I just hate feeling like I'm playing judge and jury. But if I don't get to be the judge of who I want to be with, then who does??

Paula Hubert said...

Why should you feel like shit for taking care of yourself? (yeah yeah, I know - easier to say when it's not you!) But seriously, he's an ass who thinks that you're easy to manipulate according to his own wishes... and you know deep in your soul that he's not going to change the things that are important. HMMPPHH!

And in contrast to that is a man who was more than happy to introduce you to his friends, who was happy to be seen in public with you, whose friends are adults and found out how wonderful our Gothy is. I know it may or may not go further than friends with benefits - but that ice cream outweighs the momentary sobbing "I can't live without you" any day!

Ok, rant over - just hit a bit too close to some of the crap I went through with my ex-bf from college.

Claire EJ said...

Especially not with his Mother around....


How'd I miss all this??

Melissa Hicks said...

You were away with Teegs - have you read parts 1 and 2? and weren't you going to bed around a half hour ago?

Claire EJ said...

Yes, was going to bed....any second...will play catch up tomorrow.

Post a Comment