Monday 30 June 2008

Retail therapy

My eye is still sore but the doc can't find anything wrong with it.  They (yes she called in another to look at my eyeball too) suspect that the recent infection has left the surface of the eye slightly scratched and it will remain sore until the eye heals itself ......

So what does one do, when faced with depressing news?  Especailly after waiting nearly an hour to said doctor?  I go shopping.

Below we have Nurk by Ursula Vernon, surrounded by his friends: Toxic Mold, Flesh Eating Disease, Martian Life and Heartworm.

I read Nurk on the train on the way home.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It reminded me very much of me doing storytime.   No smut, not even a whiff of "adult concepts", this is very much a kid's book - but there are elements that make the adult in me smile.

And of course there is the requisite Ursula weirdness sprinkled throughout.

If you have a kid aged 8-12 around, or someone who even acts like a kid that age, buy them this book !!!!!

15 comments:

Mariann Mäder said...

Love Nurk's friends!

Shawn Medrano said...

Thanks Mel......I've now got something to look into for the kids. You know, summer boredom has set in. lol

Natalie Mikesell said...

Love your new diseases :D And I am going to check out that book!

Karen R said...

I know a couple of kids who might think Nurk was the greatest... will look into that :) Cute diseases!! Wait - has anyone ever said those two words together before???

Sisu Lull said...

I like your new disease Mel. The flesh eating bacteria looks a little like a squid from this angle, LOL.

Lori M. said...

Great disease and mold Mel! I hope that your eye heals quickly and that you start to feel better soon!!

Melissa Hicks said...

Flesh eating disease is the dark red one on the right. He is one piece but has a knife and fork embroidered into him ....

Claire EJ said...

These little guys look more appealing every time I see them

Twana Bentley said...

How is your eye feeling?

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks for asking Twana :) Still sore. Well no actually. They are not sore as such but both eyes get tired more quickly and I have more trouble focusing than I used to.

This is a noticeable difference. I can't stitch for more than 20 mins at a time, reading gives me a headache etc etc.

I have an appointment scheduled with an ophthalmologist for 25 July.

Karen R said...

Gee, I was hoping it had all cleared up. No way you can get in sooner??

Paula Hubert said...

Ohhh - I figured you were pretty much back to normal. I'll be thinking good thoughts!

Melissa Hicks said...

Not with spending all next week away. (Although I'm even doubts about bothering to go away too).

Its the Friday I go back to work. Hopefully a few days off work, wherever I am, will help the eyesight.

Melissa Hicks said...

I got a lot better and then I started getting worse again. The grit and the soreness is completely gone but I'm getting tired eyes very easily. I am having trouble focusing for periods of time.

We'll see - maybe I just need a good rest?

Twana Bentley said...

Sorry to hear they're still bothering you. That's a shame you have to wait so long to see the opthamologist. Do you like listening to books on tape/cd?

Post a Comment