Tuesday 2 January 2007

Telecommunications - the latest update!


Well it appears all my phone calls and frustrations in the last few weeks might have actually got me somewhere ....

I just walked in the door from the shopping and my phone was ringing. It was my phone and email carrier AAPT. As they are aware of my ongoing difficulties with broadband, they are connecting a separate line for me free of charge. The technician will be out at my home on Thursday afternoon between 1 and 4 pm - would that be acceptable ?????

I will of course still have to pay the monthly servicing costs for the second line - but usually a second line costs you $299 for the technician and $59 connection. That's a lot of money!

OK so I will still be on dial-up and it will be slow, but it will be on a separate line, so I can just set up photos to upload and walk away, without hoping someone doesn't ring and knock off the connection. Or purposefully stay off the net because I'm expecting a phone call.

Well this was unexpected but very nice. Still not broadband, but the best I can get int he current situation. And the free connection is a complete surprise!

Call my cynical but I'll try to sock away the $358 before the end of the month anyway - just in case).

Well its been 24 hours and my diet (ahem new way of eating) is going well. Nutritionally balanced meals, no junk food (except for some chocolate that I unearthed in the fridge last night after cleaning it out!) so far so good.

I also made enough int he crock pit yesterday that I have three meals of leftovers for the freezer!



15 comments:

Denise Hicks said...

No connection fee sounds like a great saving, your new year is starting off better then the old year just ended.

Melissa Hicks said...

Definitely - and you can ring me without getting the answering machine (as log as I'm actually home ) :) :)

I'll let you know how it goes on Thursday - considering how much disappointment I've had with telecommunications issues at this place - I'm expecting *something* to go wrong!

Hilary Syddall said...

Here's hoping this works out well for you!

Claire EJ said...

OMG!!! Crossing everything for you. A second line would be a godsend if you can't *ever* have anything faster....

Paula Hubert said...

I'll keep everything crossed as well! I'm hoping everything goes as they're saying it will!

Natalie Mikesell said...

Yay! And it sounds to me that you are making the best of a difficult situation. And way to go on the new way of eating!! Very good! And if you are able to just have a little chocolate here and there...you should be able to keep the cravings down!

Melissa Hicks said...

Well I've finished off the chocolate that was in the fridge and I'm purposefully not buying any more for the next two weeks - and I'll see how I go for the fortnight with the cravings - sometimes I need to go cold turkey from the chocolate ....

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks for the good wishes people - I'll take that as a *mental* crossing of fingers toes eyes etc - too hard for you to stitch otherwise :)

Paula Hubert said...

Heh - that's part of my excuse for what I know will be tardiness on completing Noah's Sub.. I couldn't stitch because I had to keep my fingers crossed for Mel to get a free install on her second phone line! {VBG}

Claire EJ said...

That so doesn't work!!!! Picks up wet floss and mentally flogs Paula for even thinking that would work as an excuse.

Melissa Hicks said...

Well Claire's already hit you with the wet floss :)

However, seeing as my blog post got lost in the ether yesterday - I will reply here.

My second line was installed yesterday/ I can now talk on the phone and type an email at the same time (not coherently but that's a design flaw in my brain - not the telecommunications hardware).

Apparently there was an issue at the exchange end of things and he spent nearly two hours at the exchange in the middle of the install - not sure why or what it was - he wouldn't even throw mumbo jumbo at me, just brushed me off.

Seeing as a five minute job turned into 2 hours - he was charging the company double his usual rate for the install, so I suspect I will hit with an install fee after all. According to this guy I will be hit with the whole $350 even though it clearly states on my work order that it was a code somethingorother that means I was getting it free.

I'll see at the end of the month.

Either way, I really don't care. Yes its a lot of money - and goodness knows how I'm going to pay for it .... but the reality is that I love this new situation enough that I don't care. I'm happy to have the second line and the freedom it gives me.

Claire EJ said...

So glad it got put in!!!!

Paula Hubert said...

OUCH!! Even before coffee that hurt! {VBG}

Paula Hubert said...

I'm glad you got got the line installed - it makes the best of a really disappointing situation. And I'm going to keep hoping that the installer guy was like ours, and really doesn't know anything at all about the billing end of things except for a COD amount he needs to collect, if there is one!

Melissa Hicks said...

Well there was nothing COD I needed to pay - whatever it is, will turn up on the mail in a couple of weeks. I'm really hoping he's wrong becvause when I went to work yesterday I discovered they had offered out the overtime shifts for Jan *and* Feb early this week. And I wasn't there to put my hand up so I missed out. So no overtime for the next tweo months. With the leftover bills from my marriage and my current lifestyle, my standard paypacket gives me barely enough money each week for food petrol and the standard bills. Everything else is reliant upon the overtime money ...... oh well - I'm in Sisu's DEBT model for stashing (Don't Even Buy That!)

It'll be better by the end of March :)

Post a Comment