Saturday 26 July 2008

I'm a spontaneous person

This evening as a favour to Alison {1) I went out with her to the movies to see Mamma Mia!

It is a fantastic movie !!!!  OK Pierce Brosnan can't sing any better than I can .... but he gives it a go {2}.  All the actors and actresses sing their own parts.

When I grow up I'm going to be Julie Walters!  And I still lust after Colin Firth !!!!!

Both Alison and I had tears streaming down our faces and we wanted to join in most of the songs.  The pace of the movie hums along well with only one really flat spot.  I I like the resolutions to most of the plot and subplots and it was in all a very sweet movie.

Definitely a movie that resonates with anyone who has loved and lost, and anyone who was an ABBA baby! {3}

This is definitely one we are going to get on DVD and watch by ourselves one night, with a few bottles of wine, and we are going to belt out the songs right along with the actors!!!

Definitely - greatest comedy of 2008 so far for me. 

One word of warning - do not leave the cinema early! You must watch all the movie until the credits are alone.




{1} Well you all know how lonesome it is to go to the movies by yourself!  So we did a deal, I'll go to Momma Mia and she'll see Dark Knight with me next weekend.  And we are both going with mum to see Forbidden Kingdom the weekend after.
{2} And if you *really* can not listen to people sing off key you can put your fingers in your ears for his two songs.
{3} Anyone who was born in the late 60s or early 70s and grew up listening to all the ABBA songs {3a}
{3a} Yes I can sing along with just about all of them {3b}
{3b} Yes I was told to shut up at the age of six because I would insist on singing ABBA songs at the top of my lungs. {3c}
{3c} I was word perfect but off key. {3d}
{3d} Not much has changed.

9 comments:

Claire EJ said...

I've heard that audiences the world over are singing along. Would love to see it. May have to drag Mum along as she would love it.

Melissa Hicks said...

A LOT of the people we spoke to in the audience had already seen the movie before. This was their second or third viewing !!!!

Melissa Hicks said...

Mum will tell you I *detest* musicals - Grease and Dirty Dancing are the ninth plane of Hell for me - but I adored this one!

Karen R said...

Yep, I don't do musicals, either - didn't even like the musical episode of Buffy all that well, though appreciated what they were doing. I've seen the commercials for it here, but there's not a lot of hype on it here in the Atlanta market - I think Black Knight is stealing most of the spotlight right now...

Rosanne Derrett said...

I'm going with Lyn and Naomi later this week for a girlie evening out as Naomi's girls are off in Scotland with their Dad and Grandad. I've one friend who has been hopping up and down to see Dark Knight since last year (!) and he had to go and get married last weekend. I wonder how much of their decision to honeymoon in the USA was determined by his need to see this first!

Rosanne Derrett said...

Mel, if it's any consolation I'm word perfect but off key with Abba. So's Col when he's home. There was a night he reminded me off that happened just before he was remanded. I was in the shower singing along and so was he. When I got out of the shower, he was sat on the edge of the bed absolutely sobbing his heart out. I still don't know why but he reminded me of it on the last vist. All the tapes he send out to me have at least one Abba track on them. It's kind of a leitmotive for us.

Sisu Lull said...

Mel and Rosanne, I can sing the words and completely in Key. The issue is, my 'key' is low asthmatic coonhound. But I can almost hit 'nails over high chalkboard' on a good day!

Mariann Mäder said...

Well, I'm definitely in key, and mostly word-perfect, too, but I'm also a purist. ABBA is ABBA and everything else is at best, well, second best, LOL! So it's probably passing without me having seen it, even though Meryl Streep alone would be a reason for me to watch the movie. Meryl Streep in comedy is a rare and usually exquisite thing (anyone's seen "The She-Devil"?).

I'll probably catch it on tv in a couple of years .

I loved ABBA, still like the music a lot, mostly because they were four mature people singing mostly mature songs, even if some were very simple. But there were no producers behind to make "stars" out of completely inept and untalented, but lovely looking people, as has become the rule for big sellers since the 70s (no matter how many - or rather few - big hits they had).

ABBA were no kids that received a new personality, a voice made by technicians, and a style that wasn't what they themselves created. One of the rare examples, but maybe also the reason why we remember 20+ songs and more from them instead of one or maybe two from the "made" stars.

Paula Hubert said...

The previews with some of the music have looked like fun. The reality is, tho, that I probably won't get to see it until it's released on DVD.

Post a Comment