Saturday 12 July 2008

Mel's Sunday Update

I leave home at 6:30am tomorrow morning to go on holidays - so I'm posting my update early.

This week I finished a small part on Bird in the Hand, Lyne's project in the Round Robin we are in.

I also cut a new piece of fabric and restarted Black Beauty. Unfortunately I left the old skein of GAST Black Crow in the bag and when I got near the end of her dress I kept confusing which was the right skein and which was the old skein, because the old skein is much darker than the new one- completely different dye lots. I've stitched the bottom inch of her dress at least four times now - each time with the wrong floss.  I've put this project away until my eyesight is clearer. The infection in my eye is gone, but my eyesight is still going on me, and getting blurry within 20 mins or so of stitching or reading fine print, so I have an ophthalmologist appointment for the end of next week.

Also this week I received a wonderful RAK from Sisu.
* some lovely black fuzzy socks ...... (Goth Bed Socks !!!!!!)
* Fractal 10 by Cross Stitch Collectibles
* Undo what you did by Susan Saltzgiver Designs
* 22" x 23" piece of 28ct antique white evenweave
* and .... a package called "Mel's Sex Slave Audition Kit"

This picture is of the whole group.  But those of a sensitive nature may not want to look at the next two photographs in the series.

Finally this week I received Kelley Armstrong's new book "The Summoning". This is her first YA book and was very easy and engaging to read.

Like the first few books in her "Women of the Otherword" series, it is written completely from the point of view of the main character.  We only learn what she learns and as she learns it.

The first half of the book or thereabouts I was unsure whether this book was set in the "Otherword" universe, or our Universe or a completely new world.  I wont spoil it for anyone else :)

Unlike her Otherword series, this book is unfortunately not a stand alone.  It is obviously the first book of a series and the ending leaves us with more questions than answers .....

I read this in a couple of hours and I cannot wait to read book 2.


5 comments:

Karen R said...

Well, I hope you vision issues get sorted out quickly after seeing the doc - I can't imagine how irritating that is! I'll have to see if my library has this author on the shelf somewhere.

Have a great holiday!!!

Melissa Hicks said...

Karen, I know both Chele and Tegan read this author - not sure if Claire does. Its non-standard Supernatural romance :) This is the YA version, which in its way is more interesting as it doesn't use the whole sex/relationship angst thing to carry the story.

Michele Anderson said...

And you can bet, I will get it to read!! I love ANYTHING paranormal.

Paula Hubert said...

I hope the week's rest will help your eyes a bit - and I've made a note of the title and author. I think I'll give this author a try!

Melissa Hicks said...

I love her existing series - she definitely rates a 9 or 10 on my readability scale. I know whenever I pick up one of her books I wint look up until it gets dark outside :) Or the train has come to a dead stop and I'm grouchy because I'm at a good bit :) Her YA book I book I read in about two hours ...

Post a Comment