Saturday 12 July 2008

Pmog

Morning all,

Last night I was chatting to mum and told her about Pmog and sent her an invite.  While I was at it, I sent invites out to anyone else who I thought would be interested.

What I then did *not* do - which I should have - was follow that up with an email explaining what it is and the fact that I wasn't deliberately spamming any of my friends

Pmog is a PASSIVE Multi player Online Game.  It really is very very passive

You *have* to use Firefox, not Internet Explorer.  It is an add-on like the Fox Clocks toolbar some of us use.

Anyway Pmog is quite simply a "game" that is played as you travel over the Internet. when you are logged into the game it sits in the background.

If you view a website and someone else from Pmog has been there, you will see a little Pmog pop-up.  Sometimes they will leave Portals - suggesting a better site for the same info.   sometimes they will have a mission which will lead you onto other sites about the same info.  Sometimes they will leave a mine and you will need your armour.  And sometimes they will stash a crate of loot which you can raid.

I find it fun and it is very passive.  You earn 2 points for every main website you visit.  I.e. you would get 2 points for reading this post, but you would not get any further points for reading any more of gothtigger's multiply page today.  You will get another 2 points if you visit tomorrow.

You can earn massive points every you are like me and are a blog surfer :)

Basically I've been "playing" for about a month and having a ball.  It really is quite passive, you forget about it and every now and then something will just pop up while you are surfing the web.

Now you *can* deliberately change or skew your viewing and surfing habits to get as much points as possible, and earn the most amount of badges and mine sites you don't like etc etc ... but that's all to much effort for me.

So anyway there's the overview and if anyone wants to join - either go ahead and do so, or let me know and I will send you an invite (afterall I get points and could earn a badge if enough people I invite join)


http://pmog.com/


14 comments:

Karen R said...

I read up on it when I got your e-mail, and plan to sign up for it - it sounds like fun! And both boys are at friends' tonight, so I might actually get time on my computer without holding up the line :)

Kerry Dustin said...

Thanks for the invite. I won't sign up, but really only because I don't use Firefox and don't really want to move to a new browser. Have fun ladies.

Stephanie Flynn said...

I'm going to pass as well for the same reason as Kerry....no Firefox for me. Have fun!

Paula Hubert said...

I did the same thing Karen did - I did some checking to make sure you hadn't caught a live virus (instead of those cute plus ones), but I signed up. I just have to reboot Firefox; but won't do that until the Mets game finishes because I'm feeling too lazy to sign back into the audio player tonight.

Melissa Hicks said...

That is eminently reasonable :)

I'm having fun so I thought I would throw it out there. If anyone else enjoys it too all the better. If no-one else does I'll continue along amusing myself :)

Claire EJ said...

I'll have a look shortly and you know me, probably join in..

Shawn Medrano said...

I'm a non firefox user too.........thinking maybe I should download it; but totally on the fence about adding more to the computer, it's already got so much on it. :(

Karen R said...

I'm in - with the very original user name of rifestitch.....

Claire EJ said...

have decidee am thick..no clue how to play...except my screen keeps going weird wavy funky colours..will play tomorrow when less confused.

Melissa Hicks said...

Its not the usual interactive game. It sits in the background and pops up as you are websurfing ....

If you think one site is better than another you can add a portal. If you don't llike a site you can add a mine for the next poor unsuspecting PMOGer who visits that page etc etc

Shawn Medrano said...

Yeah; I bit the bullet and added Firefox to my computer..........so far so good. lol

Melissa Hicks said...

PMOG aside, I really do prefer Firefox to IE. I even use Firefox at work ....

Mariann Mäder said...

I would so love to use it at work that but can't unfortunately... I do expect them to at least upgrade to IE7 when they migrate our old Windows Professional 2000 systems to Vista and Office 2007. Means I'll have at least the websites within one window!

I've gone to look at the PMOG site, but so far don't really see the fun. Care to enlighten me some more, Mel?

Claire EJ said...

I'm not seeing fun. It's interesting but fun? not yet :)

I adore Firefox. Doesn't have security issues like ie7 and is far more stable.

Post a Comment