Sunday 10 August 2008

Mel's Sunday Update

Oh what a week - a week of irritations with a couple of good endings.

No major news this week, no deaths, no births, no major upheavals .... just a few small panic attacks...

As can be seen my computer is working again !!!!  Yay !!!!!!  My mum, Denise, my own personal Help Desk Support Department, walked me through some diagnostics over the phone and we cleaned out the Registry and did a defrag and all those other housekeeping things you are supposed to do on a regular basis and the computer now seems to be working fine again.  Took me three days but it all seems OK.  So no need to panic over lost data or buy a new PC.  This is good because ....

I spent the week panicking about my car - yearly registration is due next Wednesday and I couldn't find all the paperwork.  By yesterday I filled in all the paperwork, paid for the compulsory insurance and took the car in to be inspected.

Two tyres, two sets of wiper blades, 4 hours and hundreds of dollars later the car is deemed roadworthy for another twelve months and is all re-registered.  I also paid my Roadside Service annual membership so although I know the car is roadworthy I can still get assistance if anything goes wrong on the drive to Melbourne in a few weeks time.

I know for certain what relocation assistance RMIT University are offering (none - my new job is not fancy enough to qualify) but the Library is scraping together $2000 and the equivalent of an economy plane fare for me.  So that was really nice!

I still don't have a place to move to, but Stephen has arranged a friend to turn up to an inspection for my tomorrow afternoon.  (At least I hope he has - better ring and check).  Please cross fingers for me!  This is the place I really want - even though it is more expensive than I was hoping to pay.  I admit it, I've fallen in love with the pictures of the bathroom and the dishwasher :)

Other news, the removalist company is turning up next Friday to give me a quote and an ETA on when they can do it.  Hopefully by then, I might have been approved for the new place?  Otherwise I'll keep looking and keep pestering friends to attend inspections for me.  If I don't get this place, I'll probably look further North which is cheaper but will definitely require transport to work again .... still 20 mins on a tram or bus is nothing to worry about - especially compared to what I'm doing now.

Work was really really stressful this week - I had to write a ton of statistical reports on staff productivity - did you know Excel spreadsheets can make your brains leak out your ears ....  I also mentally psyched myself up for a round of staff performance and appraisal meetings.  I wrote up all the paperwork and presented it to Library Management last Friday.  They've now decided I don't need to hold these meetings with staff next week.  Its all been put off until after I leave.  I'm as confused as Hell!  Obviously politics at play somewhere above my head.  But hey, its 13 horrible meetings I no longer have to run!

So work wise I'm pretty much done now, just the usual day to day stuff and a few tweaks tot he statistical reports (pie charts instead of bar charts etc) and I'm on the downward run now.

So that's my week - got more little things organised.  Still waiting on big things like removalists quotes and  applications for new homes but got lots of small stresses out of the way.

Yesterday afternoon after I got home with car, I really wanted to de-stress and my eyes weren't hurting for the first time since Monday, so I did some stitching on Wizard's Inkwell while the Olympics were on in the background.  I got a bit done and I kinda understand more of the instructions on this now.  I will definitely come undone at the actual hardanger sections but I will do what I can and then scream for help from there.

I did the dark green diamond late last night and actually misplaced it, so I frogged and redid it before crawling off to bed.  Hope you can't see the unpicking too badly.

Mariann - the green one is supposed to be "Kloster blocks".  Just looks like blocks of satin stitch to me.  Did I do this right?  Please let me know!

I spent the morning out with a group of friends that are current and ex Gosford Library staff so that was a long and leisurely brunch.  Now I think I might just ignore the world and stitch some more for the afternoon.  I know I need to pack and declutter and clean the house but frankly I think I just need some time out.  My sanity got a little bit frazzled this week.  So I'm off to stitch with the Olympics in the background again - hopefully there will be Men's Gymnastics on today





11 comments:

Natalie Mikesell said...

I am so happy to hear that your week closed on an up note!! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you to get the place you want :D Well, non-stitching fingers anyway.

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Nate - just wish me luck tomorrow afternoon :) :) :)

Lori M. said...

I'm glad that things are going better for you Mel, and glad that you got the computer working again. Aren't the Olympics fun?

Mariann Mäder said...

Funny you should ask :-))

I looked at it closely and I'm sorry, but if you'll have to cut in this diamone you have to redo one side. The fourth block on the right from the top of the diamond doesn't reach up to the next block, that's a no-no when you cut (the free thread would not be held back.

Otherwise that looks like nice progress and really lovely! I like the colours a lot.

I'm sending out your birthday present tomorrow, Mel, it will still go to the PO address in Sydney... I suppose it will arrive before your last day of work. Sorry that it's late! There was one part I really had to do and was never inspired enough to actually get it done, but now it's going out...

Melissa Hicks said...

Bugger! I thought I had been soooo careful! Thanks for picking this up Mariann - I'll redo this part tonight so I don't forget!

Seriously - thank you for noticing the error!

Claire EJ said...

If you go back and look at that one block, you'll see it has one thread less than all the lthers. I would tie another thread in and just be very careful when you go and do the cutting.
To answer the question...yes, Kloster Blocks are just satin stitches by another name.

Looks fab BTW!

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Claire - some of the colour choices have taken me by surprise - but they all seem to be coming together as the stitching progresses.

kay jones said...

Good work on the kloster blocks. They do need careful attention but once you get the hang of them they are sooooooooooo easy.

Fingers crossed on the accommodation in Melbourne and commiserations on the car, but at least you are now road worthy for another year.

I cant send your pressie out until Thursday. Is that going to be ok? or should I hang on to it?

Melissa Hicks said...

Mariann, Kay and others - I've posted a new blog. Yes I know, dashed inconvenient of me to move house just after my birthday ... :(

Paula Hubert said...

I'm glad some things are sorted out.. both at the current work and having someone check on an inspection for you. Oh, and I'm thrilled that your PC is back in the land of the living! Got your text about that, but we were camping this weekend in an area where there wasn't any service.

Melissa Hicks said...

Did you have fun campng?

Post a Comment