Sunday 5 October 2008

Hand dyed floss help please?

I have a chart here that I will be stitching up in the very near future.

The chart is coded for DMC, but I want a bit more depth and texture to the piece, so could those who have a large stash of floss, or merely a more organised floss stash, please look through and see if you can convert these colours to Carries, or GAST or Weeks or even Dinky Dyes or Caron's or whatever gives more colour play than DMC does :)

DMC   334 Pale Indigo Blue
DMC 3042 Lilac
DMC 3053 Tweed Green
DMC 3779 Pale Terracotta

For reasons that will become apparent in a few weeks, I am not naming which chart this is, and if you do guess it, please PM me privately ...

Thanks all !!!  I know some of you have sample swatches and so many of you have such a better colour sense than I do.  I don't just want a link to a list of net conversions, I am actually hoping someone will pull their threads and make sure all four converted colours work well together too:)

THANK YOU!


10 comments:

Rosanne Derrett said...

To Carries try
334 Monarch (darker)
3042 Dusty Purple (darker)
3053 Olives
3779 Bittersweet (exact match to 3778)
All of them have a decent play of shades through the length of the thread

Has the jiffy bag arrived yet?

Melissa Hicks said...

Nothing arrived lately from friends :) Trust me I shout them from the rooftops - unless I happen to be disconnected and moving at the time - speaking of which .... I have more albums to load!

Anyone else who has Carrie's threads - do you agree with Rosanne? And Rosanne, how much darker are the darker ones?

I definitely need the dusty purple and the bittersweet to work without one overpowering the other - will these be OK?

Thanks so much sweetie {smooch}

Karen R said...

Gee, I poked through my Carrie's, and the only ones I have that aren't multi-colored are all LE's - how much of each color are you anticipating needing?

Melissa Hicks said...

I'm pretty sure I only need one skein of each .... thanks for looking anyway :)

kay jones said...

OK not knowing the c hart and working with only the ones I have which are all slightly deeper in depth

All Carries

334 Moon Shadow
3042 Orchid
3053 Dried Sage
3779 Baby Pink

and I've got one skein of each if you want them (belong to a Carries thread club with Polstitches so I get a bunch each month)

Melissa Hicks said...

Oooh thanks Kay - I think I have some of those colours in my stash already - I'll check after work. And thanks for the alternative scheme. I'll check out both ideas and see what I can find with what I have ...

Hugs to everyone!

Twana Bentley said...

Sorry, I can't help. I didn't have anything remotely close.

Melissa Hicks said...

I spoke with Carrie directly to get her opinions and she suggested changing the colours completely to suit my taste more .... arrrgh now I'm totally confused!

Tracy H said...

I was visiting Carrie today to get floss and she showed me your note. Heh, heh, heh. We tossed some floss on your behalf. She should be sending you scans of two different options. There is nothing like seeing the colors all together and in person, and those of you without knowing which chart they went to were at a serious disadvantage. Those DMC were all pretty much baby soft pastels, which Carrie doesn't really do. But that's okay because I don't think you really do them either. :-P

Melissa Hicks said...

Wheeeee !!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!!!!!!

LOVE YOU TRACY !!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment