Sunday 19 October 2008

Positives

I've been whinging and whining a lot lately.

This morning as I lay in my comfy bed in my lovely bedroom, with a cat purring against me and surrounded by the tangible expressions of affection from my friends and loved ones, I starting thinking about all the good things in my life:
  • I have a partner who loves me, my flaws and all, and repeatedly tells me that he wants to marry me and grow old with me.
  • Even though I've recently moved, I have friends and family scattered across Australia and across the world.  As long as I have my phone with me, I am never alone.
  • In this new city I have friends of my partner, that I am hoping to become friends with in my own right, rather than being tolerated because I'm their friend's partner :)
  • I have a long-term companion cat that is intelligent and eloquent "Its feeding time, shouldn't you be thinking about getting yourself some dinner too?"
  • I have a well-paying job that holds sufficient challenge to get me out of bed each morning and make me feel like I am earning my wages.
  • I am financially independent. Although my take home pay is not quite what I expected, it is enough to cover all of my costs, afford me a decent (not decadent) lifestyle and my long term debts will be paid out in two years.  If my situation improves they will be paid out earlier :)
  • I am emotionally independent.  I enjoy my own company.  I don't feel the need to be "on" or surrounded by people at all times to shield me from myself.  I'm comfortable with me.  And there are mights where I love just having me, the cat , my stitching and a good DVD.
  • Stephen taught me the art of people watching.  I enjoy going out to restaurants by myself and watching the people around me.  Its surprisingly a lot of fun and insightful as to other people live. 
  • I love my little apartment - it is beautiful with the high exposed beam ceilings, it feel larger and more airy than it is.  It is my sanctuary and I feel at peace within her.
  • I love the new city I'm in.  I'm getting used to its quirks and look forward to spending years exploring its cultural and gastronomical diversities.
Yep I have life pretty good.  Best of all, I have a cat in my lap and who I'm about to disturb, for breakfast this morning is waffles.

Yes I found gluten-free waffles which I 'm dressing with organic full cream and real Canadian organic Maple Syrup .....

Life is good.


20 comments:

Karen R said...

About time - Mel on an upbeat :) It sounds like you have finally shed the stress of the last few months!!! And if gluten-free waffles are part of the cure, well then, have at it! Them! Yay!! {scritch scritch for Trubs}

c l said...

Life is Good! It sounds like you have a pretty good thing going on there!

Melissa Hicks said...

Yeah even *I* get sick of my whining eventually.

Strangely all it took was shedding some resentment. I was carrying around other people's resentment!

In my personal life there's a woman resenting my relationship with Stephen. At work Dickhead resents my appointment because he likes doing work entailed in *my* job.

I was resenting these people because they wouldn't just bugger off and let me get on with things.

Seeing as legally I cannot stake these people through the heart (yes I've been watching Buffy re-runs) I've decided to just let it go. I understand where they are coming from and I cannot change them.

I cannot change them. I cannot change how other people react to them.

I can only change how *I* react to things.

So I've decided on mind over matter :) And I really do feel happier and more content today :)

Don't faint - I'll be back to whinging about my breakfast cereal tomorrow. Oh and has anyone else stitched a design in the middle of a fat quarter of hand dyed cloth only to find out it would have fitted into a fat eighth? Man I hate wasting hand dyed fabric that way !!!!

Melissa Hicks said...

She's staring at the screen and purring madly !!! There are times I am sure Trubs is an alien in a cat suit ........

Karen R said...

Yes, I think my Foursome Reel piece will be that way - I think I could have gotten both of the big pieces on that same piece of fabric, since I do want all 4 to coordinate - but I wasn't sure I'd have enough to keep for the finishing on both. But I will trim extra & save for ornies or whatever :)

Mariann Mäder said...

Good to hear you're on the up, sweetie! Every one of us gets enough to whine about and occasionally we're stressed enough to whine more than normal, but venting means letting go, and that's what you decided you'd do. Well done is all I'm saying :-)

I've walked into our newest shopping palace last week ( http://www.westside.ch/ ), a huge thing designed by the American star architect Daniel Libeskind, and what did I find next to the entrance of my regular grocery? A nice special shop with health foods (they're called Reformhaus here) so thinking of you coming I went in and asked around..... they showed me their line of gluten free foods, including croissants to bake up and stuff :-) Let's hope it's still there next year, ha ha.

Enjoy your waffles!

Melissa Hicks said...

{drool} {salivate} {whimper}

I miss croissants .....

Mariann Mäder said...

Not sure if they would survive the trip to Australia, but they did not keep them in a cooler, so I might have a look and see if their expiration dates would stretch long enough... I could send you some of these to bake up...

Melissa Hicks said...

Unfortunately Mariann - I don't think they will survive the trip :( Oh well we will try them next August :)

Lori M. said...

I'm glad that your happy Mel! Sorry to hear about the fabric. I know that I've done that in the past. Look on the bright side - at least you have too much instead of not enough. Could any of the extra on the sides be used to stitch a bookmark?

Frishawn Rasheed said...

I am so glad that you are starting to see the bright side of your life. You are a wonderful person and you spread joy wherever you go. It is great to see that it is starting to come back to you.

Melissa Hicks said...

Awww thank you Frishawn! You are such a sweetie!

Sisu Lull said...

Nice to see the sunny side of Mel again.
(No!! Not that sunny side! Now pull your drawers back up! Save it for Stephen)
Now I shall wait with baited breath to see if her wicked sense of humor comes back online.......
Waiting....Waiting.....Still waiting....
Well?
Oh rats. Guess that should have been bated breath. That baited breath is nasty! No wonder nobody was talking to me today! Off to brush my teeth!

Melissa Hicks said...

PMSL! Love you Sisu !!!!!

Melissa Hicks said...

Actually Trubby got to see that sunny side yesterday. I ran around in T shirt and underpants all day. Good thing I didn't leave the house ....

Paula Hubert said...

I *love* this post :) Glad to hear you're feeling better and found out what was keeping you down!

Hilary Syddall said...

Ye Gods and Little Fishes, it is a good thing cats can't speak human AND that they don't have their own blogs!

Melissa Hicks said...

Or know how to use a camera ......

Hilary Syddall said...

Oooh yes, could you imagine it, videoed by Trubs and uploaded to youtube before you can blink!

Melissa Hicks said...

I still control the can opener!

Post a Comment