Friday 16 May 2008

Cakes *and* Soap

Why do I only get the urge to be creative when I'm sick ????

Is it because the first thing I do when I feel unwell is make the kitchen spotless ???  A spotless kitchen to me is the same as having a pocket full of cash in a shopping mall.  It must be spent immediately - or in this case, used immediately.

Or is it the same reason that I persist in stitching on the train on Monday mornings.  I know I'm going to make mistakes, I know I will have to undo what I've done, but I still persist in doing it anyway ????

Or is that I need I need virus in my system to overwhelm my Superego and let my Id out to play ???

Either which way I was very creative and somewhat productive today ....

First up I made muffins.  To be more exact I made a gluten-free version of these ....

http://theblackoven.blogspot.com/2008/03/le-petit-gateau-du-les-legions-noire.html

Please go click on the site - you see immediately why these have been gnawing at my creative side for a while .....

I used a gluten-free flour and a gluten substitute.  As these are not normal cakes, and I am horrendously ill with a virus, I'm not quite sure these came out as intended.  After all the instructions did say not to overmix the batter.  Well mine didn't even become a batter, they were more like a cross between playdough and an Aero bar .... or perhaps a cross between a moon rock and a mud cake.

Either way they are very very delicious and I ate a couple straight out of the oven.  I didn't have any obscure French metal so I played German (Rammstein) and Canadian (Strapping Young Lad) while partaking of my cakes and tea.

Speaking of which did anyone in Australia watch the series return of Bones last night?  Stephen Fry playing a psychologist to David Boreanaz.  Two of my favourite lust objects for very different reasons, interacting :) :)

{and before anybody comments - I know Stephen Fry is gay - its not his body that I primarily lust over .....)

Ah where were we - oh yeah, after the cakes I cleaned the kitchen to a spotless state again and remembered that I have wanted to make another batch of soap - a slow curing one for my birthday this year.  So I pulled out and tweaked my favourite recipe.

250gm Lard
250gm Coconut oil
250gm Rice Bran oil
120gm Grapeseed oil
100gm Cocoa Butter
30gm Castor oil
2 toothpicks of orange soap colouring ...

137gm lye
250gm water

The addition of castor oil, even in such small doses will make this one a very long curing soap - it will not be able to be used in under 8 weeks - but the bubbles should be big and fat when its ready ....

I had the oils melted and the lye solution prepared when I realised I am completely out of five fold Orange essential oil.  In fact I am out of all orange essential oil.  And I really really really wanted to make my favourite citrus blend .... oh well.

What else can I add in instead?  Didn't want to play with the citrus because I had a definite combination in mind, OK back to the fragrances.  Green Irish Tweed?  Bonsai?  Chai Tea? Vanilla Sandalwood?

I had already put in orange colouring - none of these were orange fragrances to me ..... aha.  Dragonfire !!!!!

DragonFire: "Sophisticated, complex and heady are the keys to this magnificent fragrance. It's so multi-faceted you will find layers of musks, ambers, a touch of patchouli, Nag Champa, cedars to warm and enhance this exotic fragrance, and much more."

Yep that sounds orange enough to me. Can't smell a bloody thing, but oh well - someone will tell me if its any good after they use it.  Someone? Anyone?

Mix through, poured into a box mould and wrapped in a few towels to conserve heat.  Trubs is doing her bit by sleeping on top of it.

Cleaned up the kitchen to spotless again, ate another muffin.  Decided to try the Sandalwood Vanilla fragrance.  Only got a small tester bottle so it will be a small batch.  So I pulled out my guest soap moulds.

150gm Coconut oil
150gm lard
100gm Rice Bran oil
100gm Cocoa Butter

70gm lye
125gm water

This soap wont have huge bubbles - bit it will be ooh so conditioning and make your skin soooo soft.  Each my shorts Dove - you commercially producers of overhyped crap! 

Sandalwood Vanilla: "A perfectly balanced unisex blend. It mellows gorgeously in soap -- think Sam Elliott in a faded denim shirt. (Younger customers, replace Sam Elliott with Owen Wilson; international customers, please substitute Jude Law, Russell Crowe, and Deepak Chopra.)"

What can I say - I thought Sam Elliott was the perfect actor for the role of Lee Scoresby in the Golden Compass .... as for the other actors mentioned - meh!

Basically I adore sandalwood and I'm playing with vanilla fragrances - so why not.  It was in the cupboard after all ....

Again, you need to be able to breathe through your nose to be able to smell - so again I hope that in a few weeks time at least someone, anyone will be able to let me know if it smells nice.

Made the batch up, it behaved perfectly.  Made 14 or 15 little guest soap sized bars.  Again all wrapped up and next to the other wrapped parcel on the table ....

Hmm - Trubs is now asleep on that one - make that - 14 or 15 "squished" bars - the individual moulds have nowhere near the durability and stiffness of the box mould.

I'm tired now.  Going for a nap and then might do some stitching tonight.

I'm not cleaning the kitchen back up to spotless just in case ...

I'm tired - someone want to make me a cup of tea so I don't have to walk into that kitchen again.

So ... anyone want to try either of these soaps when they are ready? let me know and I'll list names down - and send care parcels out later in the year .....

Seeing as I don't have enough energy to get up and take a picture of Trubs sleeping on the soaps - here's a picture I took this morning.

I mean honestly where else do you expect a librarian's cat to sleep?

32 comments:

Rachel Cox said...

I didn't know Stephen Fry was gay!!! Does it matter in that we are hardly likely to met him - but he is a tad skinny for the true fancing of his body!!! As you say that is not what is attractive about him! I find strange in bones as in this country he plays comic roles and is generally rich, sometimes thick charactors! Some what different!
Take care of you! I have to tidy my sitting room/bed room when poorly in case I need the doctor I think! - Cheers mum for that!

Hilary Syddall said...

The dragonfire sounds wonderful! I expect the recipients will be VERY pleased to get the soaps (even the slightly squashed by Trub ones!)

Hilary Syddall said...

Ooh meant to say in the previous post - I hope you are better soon! and what I want to see is a green dressing gown with very long sleeves on the back of the door :-)

Vamp Pam said...

The dragonfire sounds cool.

Have to say I admire your taste in metal; I love and adore Rammestein since they did that Sonne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHlA3fmJG0

Feel better [don't mention muffins ffs; i'm on a diet!!!!!!!]

Melissa Hicks said...

??? Sorry I don't get the reference here Hilary?

OH GOD I'm SLOW !!!!!!!!

All I have to say to you Ms Hiliary is OOK !!!!

I may be PMSing but I'm not an orangutan!

Vamp Pam said...

Bloody hell Rach- next you'll be saying you didn't know he was a manic depressive either...

I LUVS Mr Fry. Have done ever since he did the Fry and Laurie stuff with Hugh Laurie and the Jeeves and Wooster series.

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks so much Vamps - I hadn't seen that clip all the way through before !!!!

Vamp Pam said...

I'm watching it on repeat Tig... see what you've started? I'll never get my ass off the chair now lol

Hilary Syddall said...

Sorry Gothy I couldn't resist (bananananana anyone?)

Can you get that Dragonfire scent as a perfume 'cos is sounds just me!

Trish Froggatt said...

I'm totally amazed that anyone would make their own soap. Doesn't everyone just buy it at the grocery or the drugstore?? And to have all the ingedients at hand is amazing too. I don't think I'd have the stuff to make chocolate chip cookies. If I might be so bold, I'd love to try it!! Cheers

Karen R said...

Both sound wonderful - patchouli and Sam Elliot (back in The Legacy days)??? Yummy!! I hope you get to feeling better soon - the muffins sound interesting :)

I ahve been trying to catch Bones this year, but they keep moving it around, and put reruns on on one night, new ones on on another night, and usually against something else that I watch - I assume all due to the writer's strike, which caused us to not have 24 this year :( Du Hast is a good tune to get the blood pumping on the way to work....

Melissa Hicks said...

These are special concentrates made specifically for soap and bath products. Most of them are based on an existing perfume though. If you went into a perfumers with that description I'm sure they could point you at a few similar styles ....

Melissa Hicks said...

Just like everyone buys McDonalds to eat everyday and watches TV all night :) :)

I enjoy creating things with my hands, soaping, cooking, cross stitch... I want to get into stained glass and mosaics and learn to play an instrument and learn a foreign language or three .... but I gotta win Lotto or find someone rich who will waste all their money on my bills so I have more "leisure" time first :)

In the mean time soap making is as easy as making custard and it really is sooo much better on your skin. Once you've been using hand made soap for a while, you cannot go back to commercial ....

So which one do you want to try Trish? DragonFire or Vanilla Sandalwood?

Melissa Hicks said...

OK Karen got you down for one of each - I think I even have the Vanilla Sandalwood in the dragonfly mould for you :) :)

Yeah the writers strike has affected us too with programming all over the place ... I eventually give up most of the time and just buy the boxed set DVD and sit and watch them in order .... been watching a lot of Stargate Atlantis while I've had this flu over the last two days ....

Du Hast is not good in the car - it gives me a lead foot and then I get a speeding ticket .... but its perfect housecleaning music :)

Kimberly Fawn said...

There were so many wonderful things in that blog that are worthy of comments, and oohs and aahs, but the only coherent thing I can say is "I just love how the cat has its own shelf in the picture" :)

Frishawn Rasheed said...

I WANT SOME!!!!!!!! I looooooooooove hand made soap.
I would like the Vanilla and Sandelwood PLZ????
I will have to send you my address though seeing as I have moooooved.

Hilary Syddall said...

if there is any of the dragonfire going? ......................??

Julie Nemitz said...

Sounds like you're being very creative Mel. I'm glad that you are accomplishing something while you are sick, and I hope you feel better soon! Hugs to Trubs.

kay jones said...

Both sound lovely. Fancy the Sandalwood vanilla.:)) Hope your virus goes really soon.

Jodie Hill said...

Slurp on the Sam Elliott reference... he's so dreamy... the other guys, well, haven't a clue since I don't really watch much TV or go to the movies anymore.

Sorry you don't feel good - colds and flu are such a drag... someday I hope to figure out how to make soap too. I think it sounds interesting, but everytime I google the instructions, I get scared... LOL!!! I think it's the lye that does it... At least Trubbs is trying to help ;)

Melissa Hicks said...

Can't you see on the left where she neatly stacked the books out of her way. I'm slowly training her to be a shelver at the local library so she can afford her own cat food. I mean honestly - you pawn her cat food for stash one time, just one time .....

She's picked up the Dewey Decimal system right off the bat, but its the moving of the books without hurting herself or the books that still needs work. You can see we are up to week three in the physical training schedule .....

Melissa Hicks said...

You *cannot* make soap with small children or animals around. I cannot stress this enough !!!! I never make soap when there are other people around - even adults.

The only dangerous part of the process is the lye solution. But it is very very caustic. A little one runs into you or an animal gets under foot while you are holding it and it splashes .... well its not good - it burns skin not to mention what it does to eyes and other more sensitive bits.

Raw soap as you pour it in the moulds is not all that skin friendly either. I got some on the back of one finger as I was pouring and I didn't wash it off immediately. I had a red patch there for a few hours. Its fine this morning.

I don't mean to scare you off - it really is a fun hobby. But as you don't use a soldering iron with little children around (stained glass hobby) neither do you make soap.

Melissa Hicks said...

Ok got the latest batch of willing victims I mean RAKs listed down.

Remember there is one trade off for the free soap. You must be honest with me about how the soap works for you.

Do you like the scent? Is it strong enough? Is it too strong?
Are there enough bubbles for you? Are they big and fat or small and creamy ????
Factors change between people and water supply and I really would like to make a better product ...
I'm also especially aware of the non-functioning state of my nose at the moment .....

Karen R said...

Good Trubs!!! If that works, then getting them to do laundry is not entirely out of the question :)

Melissa Hicks said...

Well she has troubles (get it troubles? oh I kill myself) in sorting the colours, but she can separate the whites from the blacks and put a load in the machine and turn it on.

She can't hang them on the line yet - after all, after they are washed, they are wet !!! She can't get her paws wet !!!!!!!

Karen R said...

So, are you feeling better this morning??? You "sound" pretty chipper :)

Melissa Hicks said...

Kinda. Not really. I tend go a little zany and little manic with viral thingys. And I still have this viral thingy and a fever.

However the medication is keeping the sinusitis under control and I think that part is going away anyway.

The rest will come and go for another few days - so I should be fine to head back to work on Monday :-\

Off to pay more bills and buy some pecans. And breathe on more little children {evil grin}. Then home and probably spending the afternoon back in bed.

Lyne-Elizabeth Blodgett said...

Seems like we're soul sisters this weekend dear. I'm VERY sick and have been watching old Angel episodes. Which season of bones are you on? Here in the states he hasn't seen a psychologist in a season or so. We had an AMAZING episode last week and I won't ruin it for you.

Melissa Hicks said...

We are very very very very behind in a lot of these programs - that's why I end up buying them on DVD. For example, I *know* Stargate Atlantis Season 4 is available on DVD (although I haven't bought it yet) and yet they are still only part way through season 3 on the TV.

Paula Hubert said...

For some reason, I seem to get creative when I'm under the weather a bit, too.

In the meantime, I've printed off the muffin recipe. I love the sound of both soaps (yep, dragonfire would go with orange to me!). And anything that would conjure up Sam Elliott in a faded denim shirt... {drool} {sigh}. But hey - does that mean I'm "old" now? LOL

Claire EJ said...

No, doesn't make you old at all Missy! All of us seem to adore him....I ain't old yet and I am "older" than you pmsl

Karen R said...

Sure would be a great time to run The Legacy on Showtime or Cinemax - it's no good on tv, because they cut out the good parts of the shower scene... :)

Post a Comment