Sunday 11 May 2008

Mel's Sunday Update

Evening all,

Had a very interesting week this week.  The two presents I sent out have been received so I can show them now.

They are in my finished album here.

The first is another of the series of Ross Originals Egyptian profiles I've been stitching for my mum.  Had Nefertiti finished, framed and posted to mum in time for Mother's Day today.

Nefertiti finished.
Nefertiti framed.

I also did up another Subversive Cross Stitch for a good friend.  it was his birthday this week and I've posted the picture now I know he's received it.

Bearly pic here.

Well that's all my oustandings up to date.

As to stitching this week?  Well I did my 10 hour stint on the private Round Robin I'm in, this week working on a piece for Mariann.

Pics in this album.
Before me pic
here.
My bit here.
Completed so far now here.

Also I did some stitching on the train this week.  I didn't get very far.

I discovered that, on the train I *cannot*:
  • Stitch on a Monday morning
  • Stitch quarter stitches on Aida
  • Count accurately after a bad day at work
  • Ignore a mistake and assume I can correct as I go.
The upshot of all of this is that I got very little productively done on the train this week :) :)  However I did start a brand new WIP.  Black Beauty by Designs by Lisa.

Full Album here:
Blob here.

Finally I set up a trades album here.  I wouldn't mind trading some of this stuff for more stash that I'll actually stitch, but I'm more concerned in getting these to homes where they will actually be stitched - so if you want any of them, feel free to PM me and we can sort something out or I'll just RAK them :) :)

Hmm - that's all stitching wise I think.

In other news I took Claire's advice and bought a skipping rope today.  If my next post is from a hospital bed after knee reconstruction surgery you know who will feel guilty :) :) :)

I also saw the Iron Man movie today.  First time I've been to a movie theatre on my own in about five years.  The movie was good enough that I soon overcame my shyness and loneliness and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie !!!!  Saw the previews of some others I've got to get to over the next couple of months too - the next Indiana Jones, the next Narnia one - gotta try and see Spiderwick Chronicles before it finishes up ....

Hmm - there was something else I was going to blog about but I can't remember what it was - so I guess it can wait until next time.

in closing I'd like to mention two videos that were sent to me today.  Both are cute in their own way. Both *need* the sound turned on.

Snow White

When Penguins Fly


17 comments:

Rachel Cox said...

You do that to! I can't wait for Indie - I love Indie!

Melissa Hicks said...

I heard the music in the trailer and my heart went flip flop - I'm such a sucker for those movies - had a crush on Indiana Jones for such a long time .......

Claire EJ said...

I'm dying to see the new one...even Steve will have to put up with the cinema again to watch this...it has to be a big screen thing....Bank holiday weekend, here we come!!
And who didn't have a crush on Indie!!!

Claire EJ said...

Eep!

Claire EJ said...

erm hello....how many of our Monday texts have me reminding you that you already know you can't stitch on the train on Mondays?? Take a book instead...

Vamp Pam said...

Ok skipping is fine if you're a small girl or a boxer... or a small girl who boxes...

The best exercise equipment you can buy is a cross trainer; you get a really good workout; you can watch telly at the same time; and there's no impact on your joints.

Melissa Hicks said...

Great idea Vamps .... I do actually have my eye on one of those - unfortunately they cost a wee bit more than the skipping rope and I need to move stuff around to fit one of those in here.

So I'm with the skipping for the next cuple of pays while I sort my finances out and move stuff around the house ..... I figure if I can';t stick to regularly using a skipping rope, then why buy an expensive and large piece of equipment that I also may not have enough motivation to use regularly....

Melissa Hicks said...

Have two books with me - re-reading Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age. And if that's too hard to handle I also have Confessions of a Werewolf Supermodel .....

Vamp Pam said...

Most of them now fold flat so you can stick em under the bed or in the back of a closet.

And they're coming down in price. They used to be £300 uk sterling, now you can get them for about £70 uk sterling. Not sure about Aussie though

Claire EJ said...

sounds good to me...I have Quicksilver by NS and just can't seem to get into it, dammit.

Julie Nemitz said...

LOL, I loved the videos Mel. They were both cute.

Melissa Hicks said...

The ultimate in different approaches.

This weekend I bought a skipping rope. A colleague here bought a Wii simply so he could buy Wii Fit.

Apparently the hula hoop is quite a good workout - his thighs are aching more than mine ......

Rosanne Derrett said...

Mel, there is nothing wrong with going t the cinema alone. I do it - you get to chose what you watch, where you sit and what you eat! No compromises. My only downside is that there is no-one there to wake me up when I invitably doze off and start to drool!

Paula Hubert said...

Ok - I hope I remember everything I want to mention! First of all - lovely stitching all around, and congrats on getting Nefertiti framed in time to post off for Mothers Day!

I don't think I could stitch on the train regardless of day, time, or quality of the work day. Thus, I'm in awe of the fact that you get *any* stitching done then! :)

We keep talking about a cross-trainer. My only hesitation is that I suspect it would ulitmately become an expensive laundry rack {sigh}.

Saw Iron Man Friday evening, and enjoyed it as much as you did. I'm also waiting impatiently for Indie and Narnia. My sis and I are planning a "girls day" to try to get to see the Matinee for Sex and the City... since neither of the J's want to see it, we figure it'll be great bonding time for the big boys and the little ones!

I'll be checking out the videos later... I can't get to YouTube at work.

Claire EJ said...

ours has....and it's growing too, sigh.

Melissa Hicks said...

that's what happened when hubby and the time and I were handed down an exercise bike.

What I am seriously looking at is a home gym. An all in one machine where I can do all the resistance and weight training that I *love* to do at the gym.

I figure my two hassles are finding something I love to do, and finding the time to get to a place to do it.

I think the home gym will fulfill both of these criteria. I adore doing resistance training and this way I wont need to factor in the "how the heck do I get there and back" time and effort.

I have to clean the house up and move stuff around before I have space for it though - which gives me time to focus on the skipping rope and saving the funds.

Alison is taking me out in a month's time to an exercise warehouse to look at the type of machine I want and to get a good deal. She is far more exercise minded than I am and loves a good bargain so she can check out the machines for me ....

Paula Hubert said...

That sounds like a good plan! I'll keep waving pom poms for you! :) I've started taking Molly for a walk when I get home at night. This will work well until the point when it's dark before I get home... but at least the "look" when I get home will help to keep me on track once she's gotten into a routine.

Post a Comment