Sunday 4 May 2008

Mel's Sunday Update

Morning all,

Well what a week!  Didn't do much stitching, but oh so many other things !!!

Got the results of my allergy tests back on Monday.  I am *allergic* to:
  • Wheat
  • Peanuts
  • Bahia Grass
Hmmm Wikipedia suggests that wheat can be a respiratory allergy - who knew ????  Also that if you an allergy to one type of cereal you may have respiratory allergies to other cereals and grasses - which could explain the bahia grass ??? Hmm - will have to visit my local library and find out more information. 

I have to remove wheat and peanuts completely from my diet for the next month and see if that makes any difference to my sinus issues or my general well being.

I also had a blood test on Monday for Coeliac's Disease.  Mum is allergic to wheat *and* a Coeliac - I need to know if I have both or if one is masking the issues with the other.  As I've been eating a gluten-free diet for many years, the results will be unfortunately ambiguous at best.

Wednesday I got my flu injection for this year.  Everything was fine on the day and they gave us lollipops.  Friday Saturday and today, that part of my arm has become very tender and sensitive - hopefully this will wear off soon.

Thursday night I got more root canal work done.  Hopefully this is now the end of it.  Just need to wait a month for everything to calm down and settle in place and then I get a crown over the top.  And then it will be finished - except for the financial paying of it - that will be ongoing.

So lots of health issues this week.  One thing I did notice is my general mental health.  After getting the preliminary results last week of my allergy tests I immediately went peanut free and was a little more careful with checking items were wheat free as well as gluten free.  I don't know if its related or merely a placebo effect but I've been much calmer this week.  Things at work are still crappy but I'm handling them much better, I'm not getting depressed about it as I have been lately.

This is a good thing.

In stitching news I have very little stitching at home this week.  Again working long hours I haven't had time in the evenings and I was caught up yesterday with housework, shopping, catching up with friends etc ....

Hopefully today I can start Mariann's RR and get it out in the mail next Friday ....

One piece of stitching I *did* do last week was Daydream by MyMark designs It certainly sums up my attitudes to my work hassles :) :)

It was quite an easy design once I learned how to spell .... I started in the middle with the long arm of the d and completely flubbed and had to frog the round part of that letter.  I then decided to go right instead of left and jumped from the long arm of the d straight into the e .... I'm half way through the e when I look and think "isn't there supposed to be an r in there ????

After those could of mishaps on the Wednesday morning, everything went smoothly.  Not another frog in the piece !!!!  Finished off the last hour's work Saturday morning.

Album here.
Direct link to this picture here.

In other stitching news this week I received progress pictures from Sisu on my Gemstone Dragons part of our private RR.  Sisu stitched two dragons *and* finished off the border for me !!!

Album here.
Direct link to Aquamarine dragon here.
Direct link to Emerald Dragon here.
Direct link to Overall Progress picture here.

Hope everyone has a fantastic week this week .....

15 comments:

Vamp Pam said...

Peanuts are going to be hard to remove completely from your diet, because so many factories state on packaging "may contain nuts."

The kid pointed out when I was eating peanuts the other night that again the packaging said "may contain nuts". I would like to bloody think so considering that's what I paid for....

Melissa Hicks said...

Also a lot of Asian fast food places here cook using peanut oil - and I adore Asian food.

Oh well for the next month its cook at home all the time and eat fresh ingredients I prepare myself with no commercial sauces or pre-packaged foods.

Hard to do with my life style but if it means I can smell again it will be worth it ......

Anyone have a spare scullery maid and/or cook they would be willing donate to this worthy cause?

Vamp Pam said...

I'm still trying to resist getting a cleaner so I'm no help at all.

I feel for you I really do, a life without nuts? lol

Melissa Hicks said...

I have lots of nuts - they are my friends :) :) :)

I'm just allergic to peanuts so I can still eat Cashews, Macadamias etc. Oh woe is me, I am now *forced* to eat only yummy expensive nuts ..... :)

Karen R said...

Cashews are my favorite, but something I only seem to have around the holidays. I do eat the odd spoonful of peanut butter, though, but that's about the extent of my peanut intake, outside of the tings cooked in peanut oil (lots of Asian food here, too, especially Thai). Good luck, and I hope that does the trick!

Anita B said...

Sorry you're having to deal with these health issues - best of luck on the diet for the next month. I know it'll be hard to avoid both wheat and peanuts - let us know how it's going for you!

Julie Nemitz said...

Wow, Mel. I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope the dietary changes continue to help with both the physical and mental affects. Daydreams looks great, and so do the gemstone dragons. Great work by both you and Sisu!!

Sisu Lull said...

MMmmm, cashews. My favorite nut. I never, ever buy them though because I would eat myself sick.

Shawn Medrano said...

Hope the extra cut outs on the diet help Mel!!!

Hilary Syddall said...

Oooh I feel for you on the peanut front Mel! and I sooooo know where you are coming from with the "may contain nuts" thing. Hopefully though this will sort out any residual health problems you might have.

Huge Hugs coming your way to help you feel better!

Melissa Hicks said...

Yeah but sweetheart you have it soooo much worse than I do - I'm not going to go into anaphylactic shock and die if I eat peanuts !!!!

Nancy Murdock said...

Can't imagine cutting out wheats and gluten, I hate reading labels!! We were requested to not bring on any peanuts on our last flight because someone on board was allegic. They weren't offering them as a snack, its if you had already purchased them or brought them along!

Melissa Hicks said...

Yeah found out this morning that Peanut Butter is banned from schools where just one kid has an allergy. That's crazy :) I remember when I was going to school every second kid had peanut butter sandwiches for lunch ....

Thankfully my allergy is nowhere anything that extreme !!!!!

Hilary Syddall said...

Yes but I don't have to avoid more than one food group! (even if it does seem to be one of the trickiest ones *sigh*)

Oh and I cannot fly because of it - if one person in a plane with re-cycled air ate peanuts it could easily be "Goodnight Vienna" to me! - luckily we LIKE Wales and Scotland LOL

Paula Hubert said...

Any problems with soy, Mel? Peanuts and soybeans are in the same family...

Glad you're feeling better; sometimes just the "knowing" that there's a reason and a path to follow helps immensely!

Nice stitching all around, too!

Post a Comment