Friday 29 December 2006

Telecommunications - the Dark Ages!




Ok its 10:15 the next morning, I have spoken to Council and a few more telecommunications companies including the dreaded Telstra - this is the monopolizing company on all telecommunications infrastructure in Australia.

There is no more cable. If you have it great - if you don't then tough there's no more going to be laid anywhere in Australia. Cable is exposed - it uses overhead power lines - according to Australian regulations since 2005 all communications must now be underground. So cable is a defunct technology here. So what technology do we have:

ADSL via telephone lines. My lines are too old and crappy and I'm too far away from the exchange so my signal loss rate is too high. Telstra will not give me a ballpark timing on when my exchange is to be ungraded or even *if* it is on the books to be upgraded any time in the next few years ...

ADSL2 via telephone lines. Faster and more versatile than cable. Same restrictions as ADSL - IF i can't get ADSL then I wont be able to get the ADSL2 network either. I not only need my exchange to be upgraded - I need a new one installed - if I'm too far away the upgrading wont make any difference - I need a new exchange installed closer to me - and as this is not a growing suburb, that will not happen.

Wireless technology - the Australian government is paying certain companies subsidies to get wireless technology into areas that cannot get ADSL. I spoke to the company who has the contract for my area - I'm in a black spot. I;m too close to the transmitter and thus on the wrong angle to receive it - and there are too many trees in the way.

3G network - this is Telstra's new wireless via satellite technology. They will be using it to replace the CDMA network in outback Australia. It was primarily for mobile phones, but you can also get internet, VOIP, mobile TV etc all through this - its the latest thing. Its also $150 per month with a download (and upload combined) limit of 3 gig per month.

Standard ADSL at the same speeds is $35 per month with a 20 gig per month download limit.

Other satellite technology: $3500 installation of a 1.5 metre sat dish on the roof and $150 per month ongoing costs with a limit of 1 gig per month.

So I'm just going to have to cool my heels on Torchwood and Dr Who and wait for them to come to free to air six months after they've been screened in the UK and look on sci-fi channel - see the programs I'm missing and buy them on DVD - usually direct from US or UK.

And if anyone wants to ring me on my home telephone they will need to ring three times consecutively to knock me off the net before they can talk to me.

That's the way life is and I can't change it while I'm in this house.

Off to look up a few DVD sales sites to see if I can buy Cleopatra 2025 or Dexter Season 1 in a box set .....





7 comments:

Claire EJ said...

Flipping hell! Nightmare....nuthin else to say. Sigh.

Natalie Mikesell said...

Argh! How frustrating!

Paula Hubert said...

Wow - that really really stinks!! Sorry Mel!!

Karen R said...

Well, all I can say is that my company sells equipment to Telstra, and they buy our "antique" line. It's so old, the sw comes on 3 1/2" floppies, because the equipment doesn't have CD or DVD drives in it! Maybe I need to go put a bug in the ear of the sales folks upstairs - sell some of the new stuff to the Oz folks, pleeze, guys? Help a sista out??? Of course, I'm on the bottom of the food chain around here, so don't have much influence, but I'll put in a word here & there!

Melissa Hicks said...

{LOL} Thanks Karen - why does none of that surprise me !!!!!!!!

Ah - OK guys what are good sites to buy DVDs on? Any favourites?

Claire EJ said...

www.play.com
www.amazon.com.au
www.playcentric.com

All have international sites and the play/playcentric do free postage

Melissa Hicks said...

Oooh thanks for that! The UK ones aren't much use to me as the Aussie dollar is so abysmal against it - I think we're about 30 cents to the UK dollar/pound .... but the international sites could be great - off to go and have a look now.

Years ago I used to use half.com but I now find that eBay has bought them out!

Post a Comment