Sunday 2 November 2008

Mel's Sunday Update

Morning all,

Well as you know I'm now engaged :)  It seems so unexpectedly different now its "officially announced".  Scary even.

Anyway - as per expectations, I've been doing some engagement stitching.

A while ago I asked for help in transferring these colours:

DMC   334 Pale Indigo Blue
DMC 3042 Lilac
DMC 3053 Tweed Green
DMC 3779 Pale Terracotta

into hand dyed threads.   As there were large swatches of the same colour being used, I wanted a more mottled look to the background rather than the flat uniformity of DMC.

 As per some suggestions, I went directly to the source and contacted Carrie of Carrie's Creations.

The next day the seriously talented Tracy of Inkcircles visited Carrie and the pair of them came up with a couple of colour ranges for me to choose from; from a faithful rendition of the original pastels, to the "more Mel" palette to a funky Halloween combo.

As you can see from the picture above Stephen and I chose the "more Mel" colour palette :)

Amethyst
Sea Green
Lavender
Monarch

These threads arrived on Thursday in Tracy's RAK package :)  So this is why Tracy knew my news before everyone else :) :) :) :)

I've been stitching feverishly Thursday night, Friday night and all day yesterday to get all the cross stitches done.

I had one false start - I originally started this on the opalescent Silkweaver fabric fabric Wandering Ivy.  Unfortunately the pink was far too garish so I unpicked and started again on ordinary white Wichelt linen.

The backstitching was supposed to be done in DMC310 Perle 5.  Instead I chose to do it in three strands of Carrie's limited edition Dark Seaweed.

Unfortunately I don't think the wording stands out enough on the darker colours - so I am considering ripping out the part I had already done, and replacing it with something completely different - like perhaps a gold metallic?

I've left this to ponder on for a day or so and gone back to working on the border of BoInk instead ....

However as an aside, this has helped me kit up Croakworth!  Tracy RAKed me with Croakworth in the same package.  I've decided to do Croakworth on the Silkweaver Opalescent Wandering Ivy, stitched with predominantly Carrie's Limited edition Dark Seaweed, with touches of Sea Green.   Its all here together thanks to the engagement stitching.  Now just to hope that two skeins of Dark Seaweed on 2 over 2 on 32ct is enough to do all of Croakworth .....

Hmm I think I thus have my next project lined up too .... well after Mariann's Hardanger kit and .....

Nooo - not enough time ..... why do I need to go to work for 40 hours a week?  And housework - why does the housework need to be done?  And the washing and the cooking and ......

9 comments:

Jim Westlake said...

Was that actually a language? My head is spinning trying to decipher it. Ah hell, time to get another tinny from the cool box!

Melissa Hicks said...

OK stop reading after the salutation and the first paragraph :)

Ad throw me a tinnie - I'm in the middle of the housework - and its thirsty work :)

Actually no - I prefer bottles to tinnies ......

Jim Westlake said...

Can do bottles. We have Spitefire, Fursty Ferret and Hob Goblin. Which would you prefer?

Melissa Hicks said...

Don't know any of them but Hob Goblin sounds like fun - and appropriate too :)

Natalie Mikesell said...

I think that the colors look great on the engagement piece. Have you tried going over the darker thread with the metallic? that might highlight the dark thread enough to make it stand out. I can't wait to see Croakworth!! the colors and fabric sound so pretty :) BTW, I am so happy for you!

Mariann Mäder said...

I like it, Mel! Lovely colours and lovely stitching :-)

kay jones said...

You been in my fridge again Jim?

Melissa Hicks said...

Thanks Nate - and thanks everyone else. The reality is slowly sinking in .....

Jim Westlake said...

Nope, don't keep those in the fridge. Poor cellar technique so to do! lol

Post a Comment